• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Be sure to double check your Marine Depot purchases

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I have been ordering from Marine Depot for close to two decades and aside from a few hiccups here or there it has always been a great experience; however, my recent interaction and order has left much to be desired while also drawing the company’s honesty and ethics into question.

So here is what happened: I ordered a Pan world pump and the 1st one (I’m numbering them now to keep things straight) shows up broken from apparent shipping damage. I contact MD and they immediately send out a replacement that morning (which seemed great that they would try to resolve the issue ASAP) and I’m told to just keep the 1st damaged pump and that I may or may not be contacted by UPS to retrieve the unit.

(Okay cool, I may get to keep that one to part out if UPS doesn’t reach out. It’s NEVER my intention to get anything more than what I paid for, which was supposed to be a new/unbroken pump, but I may get one for parts)

The replacement pump order is immediately placed and I can see shortly after (same day) that it is shipping with confirmation.

Here is where it gets interesting.

The “New” replacement pump shows up the next day. Pretty cool! No damage to the shipping box, however as soon as I open it up, I notice the product carton looks different from the first.

• First box was stapled shut. No packing tape was used at all.
  • Second replacement pump was taped shut with packing tape because staples had clearly been exhausted or pulled apart. Not a huge red flag as maybe they inspected this one before sending out since it was meant to replace a broken pump. As I take the pump out of the box, not only do I discover that this pump is also broken (the output is completely busted off) but the pump is wet!! This pump was very clearly previously used!!

Of course, I immediately contact Marine Depot, only this time instead of being greeted with the same level of empathy and understanding as to the first call for what would clearly be a frustrating situation for any customer, my call is met with skepticism and questions. It quickly became clear that I was now under the microscope.

Sure, I get it. It seems not probable for someone to get two broken pumps in a row right? (Well, not if your sending out previously used and broken products that are listed as new and charging full ‘new’ pricing for them)

I try to explain the obvious signs of a used item to the rep and receive a list of reasons why I’m wrong and how it's not possible.

Me: Why was the box opened and re-taped?

MD: “Some times UPS will repack the item if they feel the shipping carton was compromised.”

What??!! This arrived in what was clearly the undamaged original shipping box. So, UPS decided to randomly open a seemingly perfect box just to rip open the staples of the pump box and cover it in tape??!!

Me: Why is the pump wet?

MD: “The manufacturer tests the pumps before they leave the facility”. Or, [I promise I’m not making this one up], “I know it was raining a lot in the region it shipped from last week.”

LOL!!! Seriously?!? Rain is your excuse?? Wow…

So, I decided to contact Pan world directly. They immediately responded to my email clarifying that while each pump is tested, they take extensive steps to make sure each unit is thoroughly and completely dried before being shipped. And they DO NOT use packing tape but only staples to seal their shipping boxes.

So while the Marine Depot rep is putting me through the wringer, asking for details, pictures, explanations etc, I’m left thinking how did this become my fault? Now suddenly they need both pumps to be immediately shipped back to them before they will send a third, which further delays my project.

Either Marine Depot let this returned and broken item slip through the cracks and make it back into their inventory, or they are intentionally and deceptively sending used items out as new.

Only because of my long history with the company I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say it’s the first one, but either way, shame on you Marine Depot. This is absolutely a result of your company’s negligence and to suggest that I, the customer, am in any way responsible or trying to ‘pull a fast one’ is just disgraceful.

I did politely and professionally voice my frustrations with the phone agent, who did not seem to like this, and the tone of the conversation went downhill. What started as mildly kind and empathetic customer service ended with short, unfriendly grunts and uh-huhs by the end of the conversation, where I was assured the third pump would ship immediately upon email confirmation that the first two were shipped.

The returns were shipped and I sent said confirmation Tuesday afternoon. It is now Friday afternoon and the third pump has still not shipped.

I just chatted with the 3rd, and new, rep to be involved in this debacle and was told: “They don’t know when it will go out. Hopefully today.”

I am just sick of hearing over and over again: “I apologize and I’m sorry “ with zero action being taken. If you’re truly sorry about wasting my time and delaying my project let’s get this thing out and heck, maybe even overnight it since none of it was my fault (aka THE CUSTOMER).

So if you’ve made it through my rant. I guess my point is; Make sure you check your Marine Depot orders carefully and make sure you are actually getting what you paid for.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminder;

Outside comments by anyone other than the OP and @MarineDepot are not permitted. Only exception is if you are posting a link to your own feedback thread in regards to the same vendor.

Thank you,

Crabs

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I have been ordering from Marine Depot for close to two decades and aside from a few hiccups here or there it has always been a great experience; however, my recent interaction and order has left much to be desired while also drawing the company’s honesty and ethics into question.

So here is what happened: I ordered a Pan world pump and the 1st one (I’m numbering them now to keep things straight) shows up broken from apparent shipping damage. I contact MD and they immediately send out a replacement that morning (which seemed great that they would try to resolve the issue ASAP) and I’m told to just keep the 1st damaged pump and that I may or may not be contacted by UPS to retrieve the unit.

(Okay cool, I may get to keep that one to part out if UPS doesn’t reach out. It’s NEVER my intention to get anything more than what I paid for, which was supposed to be a new/unbroken pump, but I may get one for parts)

The replacement pump order is immediately placed and I can see shortly after (same day) that it is shipping with confirmation.

Here is where it gets interesting.

The “New” replacement pump shows up the next day. Pretty cool! No damage to the shipping box, however as soon as I open it up, I notice the product carton looks different from the first.

• First box was stapled shut. No packing tape was used at all.
  • Second replacement pump was taped shut with packing tape because staples had clearly been exhausted or pulled apart. Not a huge red flag as maybe they inspected this one before sending out since it was meant to replace a broken pump. As I take the pump out of the box, not only do I discover that this pump is also broken (the output is completely busted off) but the pump is wet!! This pump was very clearly previously used!!
Of course, I immediately contact Marine Depot, only this time instead of being greeted with the same level of empathy and understanding as to the first call for what would clearly be a frustrating situation for any customer, my call is met with skepticism and questions. It quickly became clear that I was now under the microscope.

Sure, I get it. It seems not probable for someone to get two broken pumps in a row right? (Well, not if your sending out previously used and broken products that are listed as new and charging full ‘new’ pricing for them)

I try to explain the obvious signs of a used item to the rep and receive a list of reasons why I’m wrong and how it's not possible.

Me: Why was the box opened and re-taped?

MD: “Some times UPS will repack the item if they feel the shipping carton was compromised.”

What??!! This arrived in what was clearly the undamaged original shipping box. So, UPS decided to randomly open a seemingly perfect box just to rip open the staples of the pump box and cover it in tape??!!

Me: Why is the pump wet?

MD: “The manufacturer tests the pumps before they leave the facility”. Or, [I promise I’m not making this one up], “I know it was raining a lot in the region it shipped from last week.”

LOL!!! Seriously?!? Rain is your excuse?? Wow…

So, I decided to contact Pan world directly. They immediately responded to my email clarifying that while each pump is tested, they take extensive steps to make sure each unit is thoroughly and completely dried before being shipped. And they DO NOT use packing tape but only staples to seal their shipping boxes.

So while the Marine Depot rep is putting me through the wringer, asking for details, pictures, explanations etc, I’m left thinking how did this become my fault? Now suddenly they need both pumps to be immediately shipped back to them before they will send a third, which further delays my project.

Either Marine Depot let this returned and broken item slip through the cracks and make it back into their inventory, or they are intentionally and deceptively sending used items out as new.

Only because of my long history with the company I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say it’s the first one, but either way, shame on you Marine Depot. This is absolutely a result of your company’s negligence and to suggest that I, the customer, am in any way responsible or trying to ‘pull a fast one’ is just disgraceful.

I did politely and professionally voice my frustrations with the phone agent, who did not seem to like this, and the tone of the conversation went downhill. What started as mildly kind and empathetic customer service ended with short, unfriendly grunts and uh-huhs by the end of the conversation, where I was assured the third pump would ship immediately upon email confirmation that the first two were shipped.

The returns were shipped and I sent said confirmation Tuesday afternoon. It is now Friday afternoon and the third pump has still not shipped.

I just chatted with the 3rd, and new, rep to be involved in this debacle and was told: “They don’t know when it will go out. Hopefully today.”

I am just sick of hearing over and over again: “I apologize and I’m sorry “ with zero action being taken. If you’re truly sorry about wasting my time and delaying my project let’s get this thing out and heck, maybe even overnight it since none of it was my fault (aka THE CUSTOMER).

So if you’ve made it through my rant. I guess my point is; Make sure you check your Marine Depot orders carefully and make sure you are actually getting what you paid for.

Hi Wbronson,

I’m sorry to hear about all that happened on your order and I would like to apologize for what you experienced. It saddens me to hear that we have let you down despite your years of shopping with us. I’m glad we were able to get the first replacement for the damaged pump out so quickly, but we dropped the ball from there. Requesting photos of damaged products is standard practice when sending out replacements, but in no way should we have made you feel at fault. I am currently working with our returns team to investigate what may have happened with the pump that you received but we will know more about the situation once we receive the second pump back. I spoke with our customer service and it sounds like you were in contact with them this morning and have received updated tracking information for the new replacement pump that is being shipped out.

Whether a used product somehow slipped through on our side, or there was an issue with the carrier, clearly whatever happened was not your fault. We do pride ourselves on our customer service here, and to stay in line with our goals, none of these issues should have been felt on your side. Unfortunately I cannot change what you have already experienced but I assure you that I am working internally on getting to the bottom of what happened to make sure it will not occur again.

Again I would like to apologize that we let you down. Please let me know if there is any other information you feel we should know to prevent this kind of situation in the future.

Thank you for your business and I appreciate you bringing this kind of thing to light so what we can improve as a company.

-Steven @ Marine Depot

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back