Beach Bum losing color... light too strong or too weak?

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beach bum monti frag that I mounted on top of my rock in my Nuvo 10.
IMG-0750.jpg
IMG-1037.jpg

After 3 weeks or so it became really dull in color. I took it off the rock and left it in the sandbed, and it's been a month since. It still hasn't colored up.
This is how it looks now.
IMG-1228.jpg

I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing wrong.
I feed regularly, I've been dosing amino acids.
The light on the sandbed is about 40 par or so. Near the glass it's much higher due to light reflection off the glass, so I've been keeping the monti more inwards towards the middle.

How can I color this bad boy up?!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 par in the 15k spectrum for at least 6 hours a day, also nutrients have to be in check, and your dkh and mag and calcium . what is your parameters now, and lighting schedule , also age of tank?Also dosing aminos ? how much ,when?

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 par in the 15k spectrum for at least 6 hours a day, also nutrients have to be in check, and your dkh and mag and calcium . what is your parameters now, and lighting schedule , also age of tank?Also dosing aminos ? how much ,when?
I talked to Jason Fox, and he told me that he recommends 50-100 par for this monti. What makes you say 150? And what makes you say 15k 6 hours a day?

My nutrients definitely are not in check. .05 Phos and swinging nitrates. I hope to get a mini refugium to help me out. dKh is around 9, mag is about 1470, and calc is about 460.

Lighting schedule is an AI Prime 12 hours a day. From 8 to 8:30a it ramps up from lights off. 8:30 to 7:30 it's 60%(UV and Violet), 90% (Royal Blue and Blue), 5%(Red and Green), 20%(Cool White). At 7:30, light is ramped to zero reds, greens, and whites. Actinic time! From 8:30pm to 9pm it ramps down to lights off. Currently I do have this on acclimation mode for 3 weeks from 50% intensity. Tank is about 8 months old. Dosing 1mL brighwell CoralAmino per day every morning.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January build, so still a pretty fresh system. Often SPS just don't love new biomes. There is too much change going on during the biome maturation process. Nutrients are bouncing along with the bacteria colony. Microfauna and related consumption all bouncing.

You have a very nice setup there so please don't misunderstand. You will get to a good place sometime for SPS but it can take a while if with perfect numbers. Speaking of numbers...

For starters, what are:
ALK
NO3
PO4

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January build, so still a pretty fresh system. Often SPS just don't love new biomes. There is too much change going on during the biome maturation process. Nutrients are bouncing along with the bacteria colony. Microfauna and related consumption all bouncing.

You have a very nice setup there so please don't misunderstand. You will get to a good place sometime for SPS but it can take a while if with perfect numbers. Speaking of numbers...

For starters, what are:
ALK
NO3
PO4

Oops. I assumed your build thread date was your start date. Awww you are close dude, very close to a calm place for stonies. Hang in there.

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. I assumed your build thread date was your start date. Awww you are close dude, very close to a calm place for stonies. Hang in there.
I'll get there hahaha
I love stonies a lot!
Currently stability is my goal!
Once I'm there I hope to see the growth in my corals that I've been missing out on :(

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did , everybody would throw away their useless crap that causes the tanks to fail , the industry dont want that ......
Bonus points if anybody can guess what the crazy red monti started as ?? Ive colored it up into a whole new thing.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were at that par , I know of guys who keep em under 300 ish. Something to note is that all par numbers are irrelavant , its the lights producing that par. I.e. you could have 300 par of the wrong spectrum , its not gonna work. All lights are not created equal , and I do not run ecotech or ai on that tank . the ai prime is designed to run @ 15k ironically nobody does.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your PO4 is .05 and nitrate is 10, in my opinion, you don't need a fuge at all. Hold it there or add more fish poop.

I used to run modest nutrient levels like that and things were OK. Over time though, I got the sense that my sticks were happier with more nutrient. So now I keep the moves slow and inside this range:
.1 - .16 PO4
12 - 20 NO3
8ish ALK

Right side.JPG

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were at that par , I know of guys who keep em under 300 ish. Something to note is that all par numbers are irrelavant , its the lights producing that par. I.e. you could have 300 par of the wrong spectrum , its not gonna work. All lights are not created equal , and I do not run ecotech or ai on that tank . the ai prime is designed to run @ 15k ironically nobody does.
Aw man! The Prime16HD that I have can't adjust by color temp :(

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your PO4 is .05 and nitrate is 10, in my opinion, you don't need a fuge at all. Hold it there or add more fish poop.

I used to run modest nutrient levels like that and things were OK. Over time though, I got the sense that my sticks were happier with more nutrient. So now I keep the moves slow and inside this range:
.1 - .16 PO4
12 - 20 NO3
8ish ALK

Right side.JPG
Well the levels do add a lot of algae into the tank... like a LOT!!!

So I want to use the fuge to help manage that, and once levels are super low I can start feeding heavy to my corals! :)

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what lights do you run?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the levels do add a lot of algae into the tank... like a LOT!!!

So I want to use the fuge to help manage that, and once levels are super low I can start feeding heavy to my corals! :)

I tend to take for granted the fact that my tangs don't allow algae to start anywhere. Also, once your corals grow out, there is no room for algae. Of course then you have a crowding problem (like in my pic) and you bust out the chisel.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they took out the tab for the color temp under manual ? Mine still have it , I run them on my growout tank. Ill check the exact setting and post for 15k. I run 4 t5s with 2 rs90s and 4 pucks of 8 450nm 3w on the DT those are in , 48x24x16 80gallon frag/lagoon

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they took out the tab for the color temp under manual ? Mine still have it , I run them on my growout tank. Ill check the exact setting and post for 15k. I run 4 t5s with 2 rs90s and 4 pucks of 8 450nm 3w on the DT those are in , 48x24x16 80gallon frag/lagoon
Sorry man exactly which lights are you running? :)

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to take for granted the fact that my tangs don't allow algae to start anywhere. Also, once your corals grow out, there is no room for algae. Of course then you have a crowding problem (like in my pic) and you bust out the chisel.
That's the exact idea hahah

Once I get a fuge I can also add another fish, hopefully a tailspot blenny.
Then once the fuge sucks up the nutrients, I can feed heavy to my corals, and to my fish.
The heavy supply of food to my corals will (I hope) blow up their growth, and the fish will provide a steady stream of nutrients for my corals to enjoy!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that tank I have 2x54w coral plus 2x54w blue plus t5 , then 2 redsea 90s and 4 pucks with 8 450nm diodes each in the middle between the two redseas for sps shading . Its crazy par and BLANKET coverage. my sand bed is 150-200 par

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back