Bean Animal siphon drain outlet must be below water?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the siphon drain for the bean animal setup need to be below the sump water line to maintain a siphon?

Im in the middle of planning a large system and will have to combine drains from a display and frag tanks to run through one large fleece roller. All drains have a strainer on the inlets and everything will connect to a common 3" drain pipe so Im not worried about flow or clogging. BUT does the siphon outlet NEED to be below a water line to maintain the siphon?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for the drain underwater is to silence it.
The emergency is NOT in water so you can hear it & be alerted something is wrong.
The setup may be "noisy".

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the question directly, yeah, kind of. Not having the end of your drain submerged in water will not allow it to purge all of the air from the line, making it not a full siphon and slowing it down considerably.

Also keep in mind that you need to appropriately size your pipe for a bean animal based on flow rate to be able to properly purge the air. I don't know the size of the tank or the flow you are running through it, But even a 3-in pipe sounds like it will have a hard time. Purging.

My 180 with high overflow purges 1-in lines and under a minute. Both main and secondary siphon lines sit At about 2 in under the sump running water level.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not have a full siphon after the three pipes combine into the one three inch pipe air will be pulled in thru the emegency and secondary drains. It would most likely be noisy if it was submersed due to air escaping.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back