Bean Animal with long pipes, still quiet?

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I'm setting up a dedicated filtration room, and I need my Bean Animal drain to go down the hall about 8 feet before it gets to the sump. Basically I plan to have a 90 degree fitting at the bulkhead, run over about 8ish feet, then 90 into the sump. I will slope the PVC a few degrees so that it runs slightly downhill for the entire run.

I was wondering about noise from that "trickle" pipe. Is this still going to be dead silent like it is now? Or will I hear the little bit of water that's going down that trickle pipe all the time?

I was also wondering about the time to achieve full syphon once the pumps are turned back on after feeding. This takes maybe a minute now, will having the long pipes make that take longer? Or will it be about the same?

Thank you!
Whiskey

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have an issue with purging air out of the line with such a long horizontal run.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have an issue with purging air out of the line with such a long horizontal run.
Honestly this is exactly what I am concerned about, I really don't have any way to know without setting it up though. That's a big expense to try it out.

Has anybody done a remote bean like this before?

Whiskey

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 8' run, if you put the tuning/adjusting gate-valve closer to the tank, then it will get full-siphon sooner and then be very quiet. Gate-valve on a vertical pipe would probably be more effective than on a horizontal pipe.

What is the current distance from overflow to gate-valve that takes a minute to attain full-siphon?

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this is exactly what I am concerned about, I really don't have any way to know without setting it up though. That's a big expense to try it out.

Has anybody done a remote bean like this before?

Whiskey

You might want to contact Keith (Reefbum) as I believe he has some experience with long PVC runs.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 8' run, if you put the tuning/adjusting gate-valve closer to the tank, then it will get full-siphon sooner and then be very quiet. Gate-valve on a vertical pipe would probably be more effective than on a horizontal pipe.

What is the current distance from overflow to gate-valve that takes a minute to attain full-siphon?
Oh! The gate valve should be closer to the tank? I can do that easily but I'm glad you mentioned it because I thought putting it near the sump would be better.

Right now the sump is directly under the tank, it just goes straight down. I'm not sure that taking a minute to attain full syphon is correct, but I turn my return off at least 4 times per day, twice for manual feeding and twice for automatic feeding. Up to about 60 seconds after starting back up I can hear little gurgles and trickles, but after 60 seconds it's always dead silent.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to allow more room for all the water in the pipes when a shutdown happens.
For sure! The nice thing about having the sump in a separate room is that I have lots of space for a larger sump. It's a 55G and it will only be about half full when operating.

Whiskey

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! The gate valve should be closer to the tank? I can do that easily but I'm glad you mentioned it because I thought putting it near the sump would be better.

Right now the sump is directly under the tank, it just goes straight down. I'm not sure that taking a minute to attain full syphon is correct, but I turn my return off at least 4 times per day, twice for manual feeding and twice for automatic feeding. Up to about 60 seconds after starting back up I can hear little gurgles and trickles, but after 60 seconds it's always dead silent.

Whiskey
Having the gate-valve closer to the tank will also reduce the total amount of water in the pipe. This will reduce the amount of buffer space required in the sump to handle the drain when the return is off.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back