Beat starter coral for BioCube on stock LEDs

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I finally talked the wife out of Xenia…
but she wants something “fun” and “bright”

currently have GSP (on an island) a Green Duncan and some neon Orange Zoas (that probably have a weird name I don’t know)

looking for ideas that are more tolerant of water conditions and that aren’t green.

thanks
-shaggy

R. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the Xenia. Went thru same thing with my wife and finally caved in. She loves it.

other ideas would be ricordias and Yuma’s. lots of different color options and very easy to care for.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms, rock flower anemones, maxi mini anemones, Kenya tree or Sinularia, toadstool or devil’s hand, one of the easier chalices like a Hollywood stunner, acans, blastomussa, favites or favia, some photosynthetic gorgonians, clove polyps, there are tons of ‘easier’ corals in a lot of different colors. Also, I wouldn’t write off Xenia, so long as you place it strategically and keep it pruned, it won’t take over your tank (and it certainly won’t do it over night).

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe compromise with the wife? Check out Rainbow Clove Polyps...

I just got a frag of this last weekend for $40.. Has about 10 heads on it. Likes low flow and low-medium light in my tank. Looks to be stretching a bit for more light in my tank today (Not sure where I can put it with brighter light and still low flow)

It has a beautiful neon luminescence on the orange and green parts, but has the elongated stems and frilly edges that I bet your wife would like.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I finally talked the wife out of Xenia…
but she wants something “fun” and “bright”

currently have GSP (on an island) a Green Duncan and some neon Orange Zoas (that probably have a weird name I don’t know)

looking for ideas that are more tolerant of water conditions and that aren’t green.

thanks
-shaggy

If you can keep Zoa's and Duncans

You can probably keep any of these too:

Maxi Mini Nem

1627605503063.png

Rock Flower Nems

1627605563252.png

Acan Lords or Micros

1627605599304.png

Blastos

1627605623265.png

Shrooms
1627605651285.png

There's about 30 others.....

But I'm getting tired of copy pasting photos and thinking.

Really just stay away from sticks.

almost any LPS will be okay if you're getting serious about coral.

Here's some names, you can google yourself :)

Goniastrea Coral
Leptastrea Coral
Chalice Coral
Plate Corals
Hammer Coral
Torch Coral
Frogspawn Coral
Echinata
Trachy
Cyphastrea (easy SPS)
Leptoseris

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my own frag of the Rainbow Clove Polyps... They really have a pop of color that xenia lacks, while having the gentle sway and movement that attracts most people (Myself included) to xenia.

What a clown!! Had to photobomb!! haha

20210729_174246.jpg

20210729_174258 (2).jpg

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloves are fun.

But they can and will spread if they want too.

My colony started by my torch and zoa's.

It made a beeline weird growth wave from there to the top of the rockwork on the left side.

Then the entire part of the colony down below died off, and it just stayed there.

It was kind of cool to watch, I had like a z path of Clove polyps branching up for about 2 months.

They definitely grow quick for sure.

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@terraincognita ,

Would you say then, based on what you have experienced, they prefer brighter light?
I think it depends on the frag from the colony you get.

IF you get a frag that's adjusted to 200 Par probably.

I think they're pretty hardy though, you could probably keep em around 100-par. I'm sure people have kept them in less.

But mine climbed where they wanted to. So I guess mine did?

If that makes sense.

OcellarisClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started the hobby with a 32g Biocube and still keep it running to this day.

For the stock LED hood, from my experience, it’ll only support some soft corals like leather, clove polyps, zoanthids, and low light needing anemones.
LPS like frogspawn, torches, duncans, scolymia and etc don’t do very well with the lack in spectrum of the stock light.

I believe a lot of fellow reefers have already listed corals that you’ll be able to keep in the tank, but if you really want them to thrive and survive I’d really motivate you to swap out the Biocube stock LED hood with better lighting such as Kessil360WE, Kessil360x, Hydra 32HD, Radion G4 or G5 if it’s financial possible. Plus the stock LED hood really prevents gas exchange and promotes salt build up which isn’t the best for the corals or fish.

I went and attached a photo of my 32g Biocube tank that’s stocked with soft corals, LPS, SPS, and a maxima clam which is entirely supported by a single Hydra32HD!

Attachments

• EC32E806-4FE7-43A3-9B12-970414150F94.jpeg
    EC32E806-4FE7-43A3-9B12-970414150F94.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 22FC8C2C-88F5-4B7D-8842-BA7A532E888E.jpeg
    22FC8C2C-88F5-4B7D-8842-BA7A532E888E.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 35

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started the hobby with a 32g Biocube and still keep it running to this day.

For the stock LED hood, from my experience, it’ll only support some soft corals like leather, clove polyps, zoanthids, and low light needing anemones.
LPS like frogspawn, torches, duncans, scolymia and etc don’t do very well with the lack in spectrum of the stock light.

I believe a lot of fellow reefers have already listed corals that you’ll be able to keep in the tank, but if you really want them to thrive and survive I’d really motivate you to swap out the Biocube stock LED hood with better lighting such as Kessil360WE, Kessil360x, Hydra 32HD, Radion G4 or G5 if it’s financial possible. Plus the stock LED hood really prevents gas exchange and promotes salt build up which isn’t the best for the corals or fish.

I went and attached a photo of my 32g Biocube tank that’s stocked with soft corals, LPS, SPS, and a maxima clam which is entirely supported by a single Hydra32HD!
Are they really that bad :(?

I kept tons of LPS under the Fluval 13.5 with no issues. I imagined their 32 Cube would be better lighting.

Oops my mistake. Idk why I thought Fluval made the biocube.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the frag from the colony you get.

IF you get a frag that's adjusted to 200 Par probably.

I think they're pretty hardy though, you could probably keep em around 100-par. I'm sure people have kept them in less.

But mine climbed where they wanted to. So I guess mine did?

If that makes sense.

Yes I understand. I think I will keep mine where it is since it is one of the lowest flow areas in my tank, and see what it does. Just seems to be reaching a bit today (I got it on Saturday)

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand. I think I will keep mine where it is since it is one of the lowest flow areas in my tank, and see what it does. Just seems to be reaching a bit today (I got it on Saturday)

Yeah they're super hardy.

IME unless they're closed up like little fists they're happy :)

OcellarisClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they really that bad :(?

I kept tons of LPS under the Fluval 13.5 with no issues. I imagined their 32 Cube would be better lighting.

Oops my mistake. Idk why I thought Fluval made the biocube.
I believe two companies made the Biocube with CoralLife being the more popular company of choice.
Yeah even though the PAR levels that they emit are true at the depths of 6” and 12” as marketed, the LED of the hood is placed quite literally above the water surface since the LED diodes are weak and don’t penetrate deeply whereas powerful LEDs or T5s are typically 12-14”+ above the water surface.
Just like Kessil, the Biocube stock LED only has blue and white LEDs and really lacks the spectrum and UV penetration that some corals really need to grow and thrive.
Before I knew what I was doing in the hobby I bought tons of corals with the Biocube hood and even with stable parameters and flow they eventually browned out, lost coloration or bleached.

OcellarisClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove polyps, in my experience, appreciate steady low to moderate in-direct flow within PAR of 80-150. Just like most soft corals like toadstools or leathers, clove polyps can adjust to higher PAR levels, but they tend to do better under lower levels below 200 with occasional broadcast feeding.

OP
OP
Shaggymv

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gotta disagree
This Duncan was tiny and had 3 heads a month ago.

9EE036AC-5B17-4A57-B75A-7D14A3DA896A.jpeg

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back