Beautiful green spotted bristleworm?

DukeDHunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 4 year old 13.5 gallon reef crashed a week ago. I messed up the sand bed during a water change and that was it. I moved what coral I could to my bio cube. Big sad but life goes on. My next reef will have no sand. Anyways I found this beautiful bristleworm and moved it to my bio cube. Is this coloration normal? I’m keeping my eye out for anymore that make their way out of the rocks.

C2EB70EA-FA3A-4035-959A-6A49C65C484D.jpeg

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did messing up the sand crash your tank??? What got messed up during the WC? I don't want it to happen to me lol.

OP
OP
DukeDHunter

DukeDHunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did messing up the sand crash your tank??? What got messed up during the WC? I don't want it to happen to me lol.
My tank is fairly old, 5 years. It was my first tank so I put a 3 inch sand bed in. Over the years the sand bed, especially under rockscape where I can’t reach builds up nitrates and more dangerously phosphates. When I do water changes I usually have my wife help but this time I did it myself and it kicked up the sand from behind my rockscape. That released enough bs into the water that it crashed the tank. So far it’s been 2 weeks and some of my coral I couldn’t move is still holding on but it’s daily 50% water changes at the moment. I first heard about the dangers of sand beds 3 years ago, the right goby can really help though. I have 1 in my bio cube and he digs enough to keep the sand clean. I’m setting up a new tank to move everything to and plan on doing a bare bottom tank with an egregious amount of liverock

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly old, 5 years. It was my first tank so I put a 3 inch sand bed in. Over the years the sand bed, especially under rockscape where I can’t reach builds up nitrates and more dangerously phosphates. When I do water changes I usually have my wife help but this time I did it myself and it kicked up the sand from behind my rockscape. That released enough bs into the water that it crashed the tank. So far it’s been 2 weeks and some of my coral I couldn’t move is still holding on but it’s daily 50% water changes at the moment. I first heard about the dangers of sand beds 3 years ago, the right goby can really help though. I have 1 in my bio cube and he digs enough to keep the sand clean. I’m setting up a new tank to move everything to and plan on doing a bare bottom tank with an egregious amount of liverock
Is it possible to have this happen in a 20g long? I have about a 1inch sandbet also with a Watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair

OP
OP
DukeDHunter

DukeDHunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have this happen in a 20g long? I have about a 1inch sandbet also with a Watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair
Some people would tell you to get rid of it but at 1 inch I think your good. Just keep an eye on the sand to make sure it doesn’t change color. Mine under the rockscape turned black and I should have noticed and changed it beforehand. You live and you learn I guess

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Some people would tell you to get rid of it but at 1 inch I think your good. Just keep an eye on the sand to make sure it doesn’t change color. Mine under the rockscape turned black and I should have noticed and changed it beforehand. You live and you learn I guess
Usually vacuum my sandbed once a week when I do my water change

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bristleworms are usually that color. It just means they're full of food/poop and you can see it inside of them. I dragged one out and put it in a little cup (to be disposed of) and it pooped, leaving it the normal pinkish color :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back