Beautiful Queen Angelfish...But What's This On It?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 6.5" adult Queen Angel who is happily exploring the dt a few hours after acclimation! Wow...amazing colors!!! Stoked about finally getting one!

BUT I noticed something on the outside of the right gill that I don't know what it is. Looks like a scar? Or could it be HLLE? If either one will it heal over or is this a permanent look on the fish now? Other side looks fine.

Though she hasn't eaten yet I feed high quality foods (live blackworms, LRS frozen, fresh romaine lettuce) so I'm hoping its possible for it to heal over if she eats well?...what do you all think? Common flaw or something else?

Angelfish gurus please let me know!

20200122_144605.jpg 20200122_144526.jpg 20200122_144409.jpg 20200122_144748.jpg 20200122_144702.jpg

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess, because she’s new to this tank, she ran into rocks and scraped her side.
How big is this tank?
If you just added her to a DT without QT, then you should turn your lights off, she might be spooked.

Disease experts, speak up on this and what could happen if this is an infection.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 180 lots of lr to hide in but don't think this 'scrape' happened in the dt. It doesnt look fresh but kind of scabby. Pretty sure she eas shipped this way.

Lights were off for first 2 hours after acclimation and introduction and then I slowly turned them up as she looked comfortable exploring the tank. Shes still out and about now with no alarming signs of stress. Actually pretty surprised about how well she is adjustimg to her new home.

(no qt but currently fish are being dewormed in dt with focus+general curein food, so thought it was an opportune time to add in a queen while im food medicating...plus no qt tank anymore)

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 180 lots of lr to hide in but don't think this 'scrape' happened in the dt. It doesnt look fresh but kind of scabby. Pretty sure she eas shipped this way.

Lights were off for first 2 hours after acclimation and introduction and then I slowly turned them up as she looked comfortable exploring the tank. Shes still out and about now with no alarming signs of stress. Actually pretty surprised about how well she is adjustimg to her new home.

(no qt but currently fish are being dewormed in dt with focus+general curein food, so thought it was an opportune time to add in a queen while im food medicating...plus no qt tank anymore)
That’s good news she’s doing okay! Focus on her eating ability!

If this looks like a old wound, then it could just be from where ever she came from.
It will most likely scar too... I would also keep an eye out for anything off with her. Watch how she swims, focus on everything! Just because she’s doing fair right now, things can change fast!

please keep this thread updated!
I’m sure the people who owns Angels will comment soon!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like HLLE to me than a wound. Diet rich in Mysis shrimp and New Life Spectrum pellets will help, but there will always be signs even if it heals up a bunch.

Usually, the other side will have this too. Does it? If not, then it could be a wound.

Back in the olden days before Mysis and NLS, you used to have to add fatty acids and vitamins A and E to food or else fish got HLLE... unless they were predators who at a lot of meaty fresh seafood (or in a tank with them). People would soak food in ZOE and Selcon to make this happen. I got many a fish with bad HLLE and although they did heal up and would grow and be healthy, they still had scars that you could see, but mostly you had to look hard. This can also happen with people who think that tanks are true herbivores and just feed them Nori.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good news she’s doing okay! Focus on her eating ability!

If this looks like a old wound, then it could just be from where ever she came from.
It will most likely scar too... I would also keep an eye out for anything off with her. Watch how she swims, focus on everything! Just because she’s doing fair right now, things can change fast!

please keep this thread updated!
I’m sure the people who owns Angels will comment soon!

Will certainly keep things posted as the days progress. Thanks!

It looks more like HLLE to me than a wound. Diet rich in Mysis shrimp and New Life Spectrum pellets will help, but there will always be signs even if it heals up a bunch.

Usually, the other side will have this too. Does it? If not, then it could be a wound.

Back in the olden days before Mysis and NLS, you used to have to add fatty acids and vitamins A and E to food or else fish got HLLE... unless they were predators who at a lot of meaty fresh seafood (or in a tank with them). People would soak food in ZOE and Selcon to make this happen. I got many a fish with bad HLLE and although they did heal up and would grow and be healthy, they still had scars that you could see, but mostly you had to look hard. This can also happen with people who think that tanks are true herbivores and just feed them Nori.

The other side of the gill looks fine. Its not spead about like hlle but I am not discounting it. I have reef frenzy lrs which has alot of meaty foods in it as well as, mysis and live blackworms. Bummer if it will always be scarred but still love this fish. Colors are amazing!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a wound then. There is not much that you can do but feed it well and wait it out. If it spreads, then that will tell you what you need to know, but I hope that it does not.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll feed plenty and pay close attention...hope it heals up...actually gotta make sure she eats at all but have a good feeling that shouldmt be a problem as Ive seen her pecking at some rocks already.

Is it a common thing for vendors to ship them out like this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Head and face erosion which is often associated with poor water quality and/or diet.
Feed at minimum, frozen angel formula, Formula 2 frozen and flake, mysis shrimp. LRS herbivore diet and small krill.
Add Vitamins and garlic to your foods occasionally.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the vendor and he got back to me saying that it was recently collected so he doesn't think its hlle since it hasn't been in captivity that long. He said he didnt notice that when shipping and believes it might have been scratched running into the net when collected.

She hasn't eaten yet, but not too worried about that as it hasn't even been 24 hours in the dt yet.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a scratch or scrape after all!

She is healing up nicely and happily eating during feeding time (although selectively but Im ok with that for now)

Its only been 3 days and I can see the wound already healing up...just wanted to give an update...

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves eating raw shrimp pieces and raw scallop pieces. Only about 6 to 7$ a pound.Eats a lot off nori,also.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a scratch or scrape after all!

She is healing up nicely and happily eating during feeding time (although selectively but Im ok with that for now)

Its only been 3 days and I can see the wound already healing up...just wanted to give an update...

Excellent. :)

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's amazing on how fast a healthy fish can heal! Shes eating plenty and not showing signs of permanent scarring, vivd blue healung up nice!

She must have gotten it by scraping a net when either being caught from wild or being caught to ship. I dont even use a net to put fish in my tank anymore, I just use nitrile gloves and pick em up and place then in.

Just wanted to give a happy followup to a really nice looking fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back