Been a week coral won't open up- help plz!

Stardust2080

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank finished cycling the saturday before last and I picked up 2 mochavinci clownfish and 4 coral a couple days later. I already had 10 red hermits from 2 weeks prior to help finish the Cycling. The coral 1 candycane, a zoa and 2 of something else I forgot. One of the zoa's had a bit of gsp attached too.
I dipped them in coral rx for 10 mins like instructions said. I did use a little less water than instructed. Think it was 6 cups instead of 8 cups. Lots of parasite looking things fell off, eventually died. I used ro water to clean off before putting into DT. Threw away the contaminated water.
I've tried moving them once closer to the wavemakers and a big lower down.
I started the lights at 50% blue at 730am till 530pm
50% white 830am till 5pm
A couple days later from getting them, I dropped the whites to 20%

Is there something I can do or buy to help the coral?

My lights are 2 viparspectra each is supposed to be for 24in tanks. 10 inchs above the DT.

My tank is 75gallon 48x18x18 + 20g sump. Tank started up first week of March.

Salinity 1.024
amonia: 0
nitrite less than .1
ph 8.0-8.5
nitrate 5-10
temp 78 cc.jpg coral2.jpg coral3.jpg gspzoa.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0036.mp4
    11.1 MB

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you started with some good beginner corals...zoas, candycane, gsp, not sure what the other one is yet. generally, these starter corals are pretty hardy.

that said, they are also corals that tend to do better in "dirtier" water. which tends not to be the case in a tank fresh off the cycle... zoas and gsp like some phosphates. probably the candycanes do too to an extent. can you measure your phosphates? it could be your newly cycled tank does not have sufficient phosphates.

i would not dose for phosphates. i would just keep feeding your fish and let the phosphates build up organically. basically, your corals need fish waste and very occasionally food (like coral frenzy or reef roids, for example).

you did right to lower your light intensity. it's a good idea to acclimate new corals to your lighting...if you are normally running 50%, then start a bit lower initially and gradually build up.

also, i might bump up the salinity to 1.025 or 1.026. but your current salinity isn't why your corals aren't open.

i would just keep an eye on the corals and not do anything, maybe brush/blow off any detritus/diatoms that may accumulate on them (like i think i see on the zoas).

also, the gsp is pretty bullet proof. it will spread rapidly. if it's on a main piece of rock work that you have other plans for, i would move the gsp to its own island or it will eventually take over your entire rock eventually.

good luck!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock? Usually want to give a month or so after fish are introduced to attempt your first corals. I would just keep parameters stable and lighting consistent. If you keep changing things it will only make the problem worse.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used to run black boxes. Ran them 12" above water at 20white 60blue for around 11 hours a day.

OP
OP
S

Stardust2080

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock? Usually want to give a month or so after fish are introduced to attempt your first corals. I would just keep parameters stable and lighting consistent. If you keep changing things it will only make the problem worse.
No live rock. Ok thanks!

OP
OP
S

Stardust2080

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you started with some good beginner corals...zoas, candycane, gsp, not sure what the other one is yet. generally, these starter corals are pretty hardy.

that said, they are also corals that tend to do better in "dirtier" water. which tends not to be the case in a tank fresh off the cycle... zoas and gsp like some phosphates. probably the candycanes do too to an extent. can you measure your phosphates? it could be your newly cycled tank does not have sufficient phosphates.

i would not dose for phosphates. i would just keep feeding your fish and let the phosphates build up organically. basically, your corals need fish waste and very occasionally food (like coral frenzy or reef roids, for example).

you did right to lower your light intensity. it's a good idea to acclimate new corals to your lighting...if you are normally running 50%, then start a bit lower initially and gradually build up.

also, i might bump up the salinity to 1.025 or 1.026. but your current salinity isn't why your corals aren't open.

i would just keep an eye on the corals and not do anything, maybe brush/blow off any detritus/diatoms that may accumulate on them (like i think i see on the zoas).

also, the gsp is pretty bullet proof. it will spread rapidly. if it's on a main piece of rock work that you have other plans for, i would move the gsp to its own island or it will eventually take over your entire rock eventually.

good luck!
awesome thank you.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first added my zoas they opened right up then closed for about two weeks. I redipped in iodine and then they really opened up after that second dip.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank finished cycling the saturday before last and I picked up 2 mochavinci clownfish and 4 coral a couple days later. I already had 10 red hermits from 2 weeks prior to help finish the Cycling. The coral 1 candycane, a zoa and 2 of something else I forgot. One of the zoa's had a bit of gsp attached too.
I dipped them in coral rx for 10 mins like instructions said. I did use a little less water than instructed. Think it was 6 cups instead of 8 cups. Lots of parasite looking things fell off, eventually died. I used ro water to clean off before putting into DT. Threw away the contaminated water.
I've tried moving them once closer to the wavemakers and a big lower down.
I started the lights at 50% blue at 730am till 530pm
50% white 830am till 5pm
A couple days later from getting them, I dropped the whites to 20%

Is there something I can do or buy to help the coral?

My lights are 2 viparspectra each is supposed to be for 24in tanks. 10 inchs above the DT.

My tank is 75gallon 48x18x18 + 20g sump. Tank started up first week of March.

Salinity 1.024
amonia: 0
nitrite less than .1
ph 8.0-8.5
nitrate 5-10
temp 78 cc.jpg coral2.jpg coral3.jpg gspzoa.jpg
BRS did a really in-depth experiment with the most popular black boxes on amazon. The Viparspectra was the winner in virtually every category, but they said it really should be mounted like 14" or 16" minimum above the water and ideally like 24"

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing in RO/DI after the dip is probably what is causing them not to open, and possibly killing them slowly.

You should dip in salt water with dip, then rinse in salt water. Never fresh water.

1.024 is a little low, but will not cause them not to open.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dont FW rinse your coral. Use your tank water.

OP
OP
S

Stardust2080

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing in RO/DI after the dip is probably what is causing them not to open, and possibly killing them slowly.

You should dip in salt water with dip, then rinse in salt water. Never fresh water.

1.024 is a little low, but will not cause them not to open.
so now what?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your asking way too much from your corals.
New tank, unstable water, change in lighting from store.
I’d do absolutely nothing at all, don’t touch them, and especially don’t keep changing lighting. Visparspectra push a ton of PAR so mine have never got beyond 10% for the white channel. Blue at 50% is ok.....don’t touch it now....corals need sometimes weekly, maybe months to get used to a new environment.

Always work towards water stability.....test..test..retest....keep all 8 parameters in the range and with as little change as possible.

You should be able to do that with just 10% water change each week.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back