been in it for two years and dont know anything

jazejeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me start by saying my set up is done right i have 80 gallon tank with all of the bells and whistles i have water flow i have a chiller my water temp is at a cool 78-80 at all times i have a metal hilde 150w etc......

so my problem is i get frog spond and they will do good for awhile and then all of a sudden they start dying ....

is there water test i should be doing?
help me out i really want to start getting some acans:horse:

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES there are many water test to be done! Test your Calcium Alkalinity po4 nitrate ph nitrite amonia, and let us know all the results and then work from there.
Skimmer?
Lights?

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me start by saying my set up is done right i have 80 gallon tank with all of the bells and whistles i have water flow i have a chiller my water temp is at a cool 78-80 at all times i have a metal hilde 150w etc......

so my problem is i get frog spond and they will do good for awhile and then all of a sudden they start dying ....

is there water test i should be doing?
help me out i really want to start getting some acans:horse:

Hey WATCH ur language. First and only time I'm gonna tell u. This is a family board. I edited ur title.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on the right path. Water testing would be the first thing I would be doing. Before getting a chiller or a metal halide. You want to test your water for the organic and mineral parameters. The main important ones are Salinity or specific gravity, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, pH, alkalinity or dKh, magnesium. As corals live and grow they use up a number of minerals from the water as well as produce waste that changes the chemistry of the water. Fish also play a large role in this.

OP
OP
J

jazejeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will take pics tonight and get the names of my skimmer
is there a test kit that you guys recomend

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for cry! This is a great site and the MODS are determined to keep it that way, its a good thing. Anyhow, were you able to get any results from testing your water?

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will take pics tonight and get the names of my skimmer
is there a test kit that you guys recomend

Some LFS's will do a water test for you for a small fee or free if you are a customer while you find test kits you want to purchase.

I use Salifert test kits for Alk, CA and Magnesium.

You should also get some cheaper kits to test the PH, Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia. I use API for those and here's a link to the kit of those testers: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4452

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jazejeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here you go ill take more tonight

i got these dip sticks from a local fish store i hope this is what i needed

Attachments

• IMG00001-20090606-2104.jpg
    IMG00001-20090606-2104.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG00004-20090611-0948.jpg
    IMG00004-20090611-0948.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 169

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those test" are not the best they can give false readings as well I would recommend Salifert or another lab grade type test.How often are you doing water changes and whats your water source for that and evaporation?

Last edited:

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get a bunch of tests kits. Those are the first "bells and whistles" that any reefkeeper should have. The all-in-one strips aren't really accurate enough for saltwater aquarists' use.

Salifert tests kits are fine and easy to use. The advice given by SaraB is very good.

Even if your water turns out to be alright, there are still other things that can be the problem. How are you doing water changes? How often? How are you acclimating your corals? How long do they live before they suddenly die? The biggest culprit is usually a problem with the water parameters, but there are other things to consider once you get that straightened away.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic you posted is not a frogspawn. It's a torch coral. I would get some salifert kits and check what your salanity is at right now.

dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get a bunch of tests kits. Those are the first "bells and whistles" that any reefkeeper should have. The all-in-one strips aren't really accurate enough for saltwater aquarists' use.

Salifert tests kits are fine and easy to use. The advice given by SaraB is very good.

Even if your water turns out to be alright, there are still other things that can be the problem. How are you doing water changes? How often? How are you acclimating your corals? How long do they live before they suddenly die? The biggest culprit is usually a problem with the water parameters, but there are other things to consider once you get that straightened away.
Are you feeding it? It does need to food. It might be somewhere in the tank that isnt getting flow & food might not be getting to them. Do you use R/O or tap water? Do you have any algae problems in your tank?

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone install this system for you?? If they did, they should have instructed you how to take care of it before you waste a bunch of money! How long has it been set up bells and whistles such as?? I think before people can help you with your problem we need a little more specifics.........JMO

OP
OP
J

jazejeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those test" are not the best they can give false readings as well I would recommend Salifert or another lab grade type test.How often are you doing water changes and whats your water source for that and evaporation?
every 3 weeks and never missed in 2 years

OP
OP
J

jazejeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding it? It does need to food. It might be somewhere in the tank that isnt getting flow & food might not be getting to them. Do you use R/O or tap water? Do you have any algae problems in your tank?
there is alot of flow and im feeding every day 1 - 2 brine shrimp balls

water temp is at a constant 79-80 f and i use r/o water and i have no algie problem that im aware of

i will take better pics tom. as well as my entire set up

Back