Been out for years. Thinking about jumping back in 30-50g

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about jumping back in the hobby and deciding on a tank dimension. Seems like the cubish tanks are all the rave now. I’ve always like longer and shorter, but these little cubes are growing on me. Less light needed and less room it takes up.

So, what do u like and why?

I’m thinking 36x18x12 or 24x24x18...

Thanks!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I prefer long tanks so you can keep bigger fish e.g. tangs but I've seen some awesome cubes two and nano tanks are growing on me.

are you talking inches, cm or m

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inches. 34g or 45g are close to those dimensions

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome Back!

so many cool tanks out these days here are a few of my fav. vendors worth checking out there offerings:

red sea
waterbox
SCA aquariums
Inovative marine

all have cubes as well as longer more rectangle tanks, I am with you I love longer tanks.
I had the 90 SCA cube beautiful tank but for me if just not set right it was a 36x24x24
if you go that way i would suggest having it drilled as there internal over flow in quite big.

also an option to ease your wallet back in in the classic 40BR I love these tanks and you can get them at petco $1 per sale. ( there not 1 per gallon on these guys anymore but more like $60-80)

I would spend some time and think about what you want fish wise and what looks good to the eye maybe even take some cardboard and make a mock up and set with it a few days to see if you like cubes over "normal" style better.

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve done a lot of looking and found a 34g 36x18x12 reef ready brand new Deep Blue tank for $175. That seems way hard to beat. It looks like $400+ for anything else if I want rimless cube style.

I love lagoon style so this may be perfect?! Such a hard decision as I don’t want big and I need easy. Lots of things in my life right now lol.

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not all that worried about fish really. I’ve had about all of them. Started with a 55g in about 1999, 110g in 2002, 75g around 2006, 220g at some point. I’ve been all over the place with tanks and fish. Started when I was about 15. Now 35!

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
900ABA5E-3D72-45EA-BEA2-B17C7D54CEDE.png
This was my old reef in college 2006ish. Just got it getting some growth and boom ice storm when I was at home for the weekend. Perfect

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve done a lot of looking and found a 34g 36x18x12 reef ready brand new Deep Blue tank for $175. That seems way hard to beat. It looks like $400+ for anything else if I want rimless cube style.

I love lagoon style so this may be perfect?! Such a hard decision as I don’t want big and I need easy. Lots of things in my life right now lol.

i do like the looks of the deep blue tanks. ( well online anyway I have never seen one in person ) there not common out here in the Rockies.

that dose sound like a nice tank for you! however keep in mind stand sump and plumbing that stuff can add up fast. that is why the PNP systems are pretty popular.

let us know what you go with. :D

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the look of the Deep Blue tanks, look up Seapora as that's the new name these tanks are being brought into the states as. I picked up my 60 frag tank (48x24x12) for around $250. If you have the space to fit it and want to go bigger, they have a 80 gallon model as well that is just taller. I think it's like 16" instead? I don't remember though. Keep in mind though with a 12" tall tank, you're going to be limited on vertical scaping space, so put on your creative hat and start thinking. It's possible to setup a tank that looks great with the shallow lagoon specs, but IMO it's just more of a challenge as you're balancing aesthetics and function in a limited space.

I'll definitely be following along to see what you do!

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve decided on a cube, but the only problem is working space and room for equipment....the 2x2 stands are so tiny inside...

Got some rock with freshwater and dechlorinator after a week long bleach bath!
8937DEA5-FBEA-40CA-85E9-F776BD015CD2.jpeg

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think outside the box when it comes to a stand. I agree that the cube stands are limited for space, but thankfully companies like Icecap and Eshopps have solid for cube sumps. Another option is to think outside the box and build a rectangular stand and 'hide' it being a stand by making it multi purpose. I've seen plenty of members here make a stand that doubles as a bar or a counter space to display pictures or decor. Then underneath is only partially a sump/equipment area. Or if you're more of the function and form kind of person and live in a home you can modify you can plumb the sump behind a wall or on a floor below if you want to have more space.

Years ago when I installed custom tanks I had a customer who wanted to maximize the display space, but was limited by weight on the floor they wished to have the tank, so what we did was setup a remote sump in his basement. The tank sat on the first floor dead above and the sump in his utility room. Little did I know this caused the homeowner to branch out in the hobby one he realized other systems could be plumbed to the sump. At the time this was setup as a freshwater system as a discus display, he ended up tying a rack of tanks to the sump after he upgraded it so he could breed discus in the basement while keeping his show stock upstairs for everyone to see.

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea I was thinking about a 4’ stand with the tank on one end, but my wife likes the look of the tank and stand the same size. She doesn’t always get what she wants though lol. Just most of the time. I’m not going crazy like I have in the past with plumbing through the wall etc.

Back