Been out of the hobby for over 12 yrs.......

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy.gif

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I used to have a house full of reef tanks (220/180/120/110/90/two 75s/four 55s/ and countless 20g setups), i raised clown fish and propagated both soft and stony corals, i did a good bit of online sales on another reef related site but after an exchange of words with one of their new know it all forum moderators i was 'Moved On' and there really wasn't a lot of other options at that time so when someone made me an offer on the entire setup........i sold out and dedicated more time to other things.

i miss having a tank to sit in front of and enjoying the view so I'm looking to get back into it and building a new setup. I've been woodworking and cabinet building for over 40 years and doing 3d carving with a CNC for a little over 15 years. my intentions are to find me a smaller size tank and building a themed 3d stand/hood.

a few carvings i've done.......
IMG_6904.jpg
IMG_6887.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg

Hello and welcome back into the hobby.

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I used to have a house full of reef tanks (220/180/120/110/90/two 75s/four 55s/ and countless 20g setups), i raised clown fish and propagated both soft and stony corals, i did a good bit of online sales on another reef related site but after an exchange of words with one of their new know it all forum moderators i was 'Moved On' and there really wasn't a lot of other options at that time so when someone made me an offer on the entire setup........i sold out and dedicated more time to other things.

i miss having a tank to sit in front of and enjoying the view so I'm looking to get back into it and building a new setup. I've been woodworking and cabinet building for over 40 years and doing 3d carving with a CNC for a little over 15 years. my intentions are to find me a smaller size tank and building a themed 3d stand/hood....

Hi KC, I am Benjamin. It is nice to see someone that has such a vast array of experience in several types of business and hobby's.
I would like to hear more about what you have in mind for your new system. Any details planned on paper yet?
I am looking forward to hearing more information about what your intentions are. Hopefully, you will have something going in 2021. It is a great time to start something new.

OP
OP
KC's CNC Creations

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi KC, I am Benjamin. It is nice to see someone that has such a vast array of experience in several types of business and hobby's.
I would like to hear more about what you have in mind for your new system. Any details planned on paper yet?
I am looking forward to hearing more information about what your intentions are. Hopefully, you will have something going in 2021. It is a great time to start something new.
Thanks Benjamin,

i have a few ideas kicking around in my head on the tank, still waiting on shipment of the acrylic. seems with all the places putting up acrylic sheeting in response to Covid, it's slow to get from my distributor at the moment. it's also put a damper on edge lit acrylic signs i normally make for people this time of year as Christmas gifts so i don't have as much extra $$ to round up other things i'll be needing.........but i have got a little bit of a head start on things

i pick up a cheaply priced 10g setup about a week and a half ago from a local guy, the tank glass and rock both were completely covered with green hair algae and it only had two clownfish and 3 hermits that he was feeding Cichlid pellets he'd crushed up. the fish were healthy, but for their age, very undersized. it only had a HOB filter that he had modified to hold chaeto, but it was completely filled with detritus. i added a MJ400 in the tank and did a 50% water change the morning after i got the tank, and a few 50-100% water changes sense, which has killed 99% of the algae. i scrubbed it off with a nylon brush and siphoned it out, now the tank is spotless with nearly undetectable phosphate and nitrates for the last 5 days.

i've placed a few orders with companies i used to do business with (Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics) with the same great service as back then, but i ordered a clean up crew from 'reefcleaners' after reading many good reviews and what i ordered and what i got were drastically different so not very happy about that at all......i also tried 'Chewy' for a few things and they shipped everything in the same box with a bucket of salt so everything in the order but the salt was crushed and destroyed but they promptly replaced those items.

on a better note, i dug out some of my old equipment and have been culturing phytoplankton and hatching brine shrimp for the clowns as well as picked up a more appropriate flake food and they have drastically improved in coloration and body fill out.

i have also discovered that true live rock is next to impossible to acquire anymore and that coral prices have went though the roof so it's a good thing i'm not building a large setup...........yet.

OP
OP
KC's CNC Creations

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got started today with cutting some of the tank parts as they were badly out of square from the distributor. The tank was intended to be roughly 42g at 24w 24t 18d... but being I had to trim a little to square things up, I went ahead and dropped the height to 20” for a little better light penetration.

86207A30-EE2A-45DA-9E5D-AFDF05B8827F.jpeg 4CEE9508-B66B-4E93-8A5F-5763C23C9719.jpeg

OP
OP
KC's CNC Creations

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!

I worked on the tank last night and today. The bottom and 4 sides are assembled and curing. I’ll work on the overflow box and top/rim later in the week I hope

the top two holes are for the return, the lower 4 will be a closed loop.

A923FE43-8EA1-440D-801E-85731471E84C.jpeg
4922781D-8424-40E2-ADDF-33C7564D11FA.jpeg

Last edited:

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and your carvings are beautiful! My husband is a CNC machinist and used to be a cabinet maker, funny! Do you sell your creations?
Aside from that, that's such an impressive collection you had before, but totally understand downsizing, cant wait to see your new tank

OP
OP
KC's CNC Creations

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and your carvings are beautiful! My husband is a CNC machinist and used to be a cabinet maker, funny! Do you sell your creations?
Aside from that, that's such an impressive collection you had before, but totally understand downsizing, cant wait to see your new tank
Thanks for the kind words. I do sell some, but most people don’t realize the hours that go into it and therefore don’t appreciate the price when they ask about something.

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words. I do sell some, but most people don’t realize the hours that go into it and therefore don’t appreciate the price when they ask about something.
As an artist myself I feel that. Its very hard for many people to appreciate the time and effort that goes into a piece of art.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up dude I was out for a while and came back too I’m sure you are hooked for good now
That art is awesome! I def want to see the stand hit me up if you do a build thread!
Happy reefing!

OP
OP
KC's CNC Creations

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up dude I was out for a while and came back too I’m sure you are hooked for good now
That art is awesome! I def want to see the stand hit me up if you do a build thread!
Happy reefing!
i'm not the best when it comes to stopping to take pictures so there won't be a build thread, i'll drop a few pics in this post from time to time as i make progress. currently the tank is complete, just waiting on a few plumbing parts before leak testing it. i've got started on the stand but the way i plan to make it, it will have an inside frame with attached ends and door facing so the sump is easily accessed and allows for maximum size without trying to squeeze it in.

i got another order in from Chewy again today with the bucket of salt in the same box as heaters and glass thermometers.......nothing survived the ride, even the salt bucket was cracked open and it looked like FedEx swept up what they could, along with trash off the floor and taped the crack and lid back on the bucket, had to throw it all in the trash.

on a positive note, the mollies i converted over to salt in the old Spec V tank have dropped a litter of 12+, maybe that'll get me moving along a little faster so i can get the new tank cycled and move some things around before it get cramped.
mollies.png

Back