Been running 24hours

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started my tank and my cycle last night had a little accendent with the canister filter. But love how it turned out. How long should I let it run before I start testing the water I added come Bio spera (think I spelt it right).? Feel like I should of bought some more rocks. But I'm learning as I go

IMG_20170623_184422487.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test every day or other day. Bio spira will give it a real kick in the pants, so not terribly long. It varies a bit from tank to tank, and some people go as far as to toss some hardier fish in shortly after the bio spira (meaning same day or next day) and have success with it.

I would wait till I saw nitrate though. ;)

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test every day or other day. Bio spira will give it a real kick in the pants, so not terribly long. It varies a bit from tank to tank, and some people go as far as to toss some hardier fish in shortly after the bio spira (meaning same day or next day) and have success with it.

I would wait till I saw nitrate though. ;)

Just checked my tank
Temp 78
Salt is 1.021
GH 180
CH 80
PH 6.5
NO2 is 0
NO3 20

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my tank
Temp 78
Salt is 1.021
GH 180
CH 80
PH 6.5
NO2 is 0
NO3 20

You might want to recheck your pH level. 6.5 is low for a saltwater tank. 8.0-8.4/5ish is the range for reef tank.

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If added/adding bio spira I would also get pure ammonia which can be ordered from dr fosters and smith or amazon. I recently just cycled a tank with Tims one and only nitrifying bacteria and pure ammonia. Done in 7 days. Fishless cycling is great but the bacteria needs ammonia to cycle properly, quickly, and efficiently.

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some salt yesterday I'm 1.025 this morning on that temp goes between 75.5 and 79. My PH came up to 7. Can I ghost feed the tank would that help. Till I get to my local pet store or order online?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some salt yesterday I'm 1.025 this morning on that temp goes between 75.5 and 79. My PH came up to 7. Can I ghost feed the tank would that help. Till I get to my local pet store or order online?

Ace hardware has "Janitorial Grade Ammonia" that is 10% strength and no additives. It works great. One drop from an eye dropper per gallon of water seems to be the ticket for 1 ppm dose. Of course, that could vary with the size of the eye dropper with the batch of ammonia. Always test to make sure.

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda noticed it yesterday but today I really noticed it. Are all the bubbles on the surface normal? I know water level is low gonna add some tonight

IMG_20170628_155212099.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :)

Most likely developing a protein film at the surface. You can increase surface agitation and see if that helps.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't think that's an issue. You may want to get a circulation pump to get the water in there moving around.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were your rocks "live rock" and wet from a supplier? Or were they dried out "live rock" from a supplier?

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were your rocks "live rock" and wet from a supplier? Or were they dried out "live rock" from a supplier?
Dry out live rock been running since Thursday and didn't noticed it untill yesterday when I came home from work today there was alot more bubbles. Tested everything is the same pH came up to 7 now

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry out live rock been running since Thursday and didn't noticed it untill yesterday when I came home from work today there was alot more bubbles. Tested everything is the same pH came up to 7 now
You may be experiencing a die off/rotting of biological materials that were in and on the rock. If so, that is normal but may get a bit smelly.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it be. If there is any kind of die off (hard to do when the rock was already dry and dead) or organics like sponge or dried algae, it will only help you along with you cycle.
The Bio Spira needs an ammonia source like mentioned above, or, the decaying organics from the rock.
I would test for Ammonia every few days to get a real picture of what is going on with beneficial bacteria you added in the Bio Spira
I do also agree that you might want a small pump or powerheads aimed in an upward-ish (that IS a word right) to agitate the surface. It will help with the bubbles and increase gas exchange. Increased gas exchange will also probably help with that low PH

Last edited:

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you recieved good advices above, regarding ph i think the water chemistry might be off, check alkalinity of water. Or you can get what i believe is called marine buffer by seachem, it will basically add alkalinity and other compounds to raise ph to 8.3.
You can also wait and do some water changes and see where it takes you.

What brand of salt are you using? Never seen water drop that much in ph, it might be a CO2 issue too.

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean the purple bag. Thursday night being water level was that low I did a small water change like 3 gallons, Friday morning had no bubbles no anything on the surface. Now I had a I wonder kinda thing the one guy at the local Petco seems to know his stuff. I took a sample of my water to them said couldn't of had any better water. I crossed it to a local mom and pop store they said the same thing and my test say the same. So I bought black and white damsel to see how it works before I buy a clownfish which are more expecive. Now looking through the tank trying to find the fish that was hiding I found this in the tank it's about the size of a cotton ball and looks like one too is that good or bad?

IMG_20170702_074448799_HDR.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be sponge, but I doubt it. Probably something that was on the rock and now decaying. Try giving it a squirt with a turkey baster and see if it comes off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back