Beginner 55 Gallon SW Build

BrewDaddyDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

My wife and I want to build an aquarium and I want to see if you guys can review and critique my selections.

My goals for the immediate future:
  • 55 gallon tank
  • Dead rocks, no live coral.
  • Livestock of damsel, wrasse, hermit crab, etc
My budget is roughly $500.

Tank: Top Fin Essentials Aquarium Tank
Stand: DIY cabinet build. I want to do something similar to the picture below.
16937323-E464-4481-B83B-1BD7C864AAFC.jpeg

Lighting: included with Top Fin Essentials Tank Kit

Filter: TF Silentstream 75. I’ve seen nothing but terrible reviews on this. Would you all recommend Marineland Penguin 200 BIO Wheel? AquaClear 50?

Heater: included in TF Essentials kit. What about the Aqueon Preset Heater?

Thermometer: Imagitarium Digital Aquarium Thermometer

Powerhead: Imagitarium Aquarium Power Head 20W. Do I even need this?

Air pump/stone: is this needed?

Test kits: Tetra EasyStrips 6-N-1? API Saltwater Master Test Kit.

Additives: SeaChem Prime conditioner

Let me know what I need, don’t need, and should have

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BrewDaddyDave welcome to R2R!

I‘m sure that a lot of folks with way more experience than me will choke in but here are a couple of easy thoughts. Since you’re starting as fish only, and I’m assuming you’re going to cure the rock (?) that makes some things easier.

First, how are you going to get saltwater? At some point you’ll want to start making your own saltwater with a RODI system so you will always have control of the water and parameters. Water quality is importan.

Second, you’ll need a better test kit. I started with the API saltwater kit since it covers pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates which are all important to cycling your tank. You’ll eventually move to other test kits.

For a hang on back filter I‘ve always liked the AquaClear.

Good luck and welcome!

Nashvegas37128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air stone, you can toss. The power head imo is the most important part of a saltwater tank. Water movement is vital to a successful tank. As far as thermometers, I would have a main and a backup. Thermometers fail pretty frequently and it would be a shame for your tank to crash from the cheapest piece of equipment in it.

Welcome to the hobby!

OP
OP
BrewDaddyDave

BrewDaddyDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BrewDaddyDave welcome to R2R!

I‘m sure that a lot of folks with way more experience than me will choke in but here are a couple of easy thoughts. Since you’re starting as fish only, and I’m assuming you’re going to cure the rock (?) that makes some things easier.

First, how are you going to get saltwater? At some point you’ll want to start making your own saltwater with a RODI system so you will always have control of the water and parameters. Water quality is importan.

Second, you’ll need a better test kit. I started with the API saltwater kit since it covers pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates which are all important to cycling your tank. You’ll eventually move to other test kits.

For a hang on back filter I‘ve always liked the AquaClear.

Good luck and welcome!

hey Mike, do I need to cure the rocks if they are dead? Most curing articles I found were for life rocks. Also, what other test kits do you recommend?

OP
OP
BrewDaddyDave

BrewDaddyDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air stone, you can toss. The power head imo is the most important part of a saltwater tank. Water movement is vital to a successful tank. As far as thermometers, I would have a main and a backup. Thermometers fail pretty frequently and it would be a shame for your tank to crash from the cheapest piece of equipment in it.

Welcome to the hobby!

Thanks for the feedback!

Grmreapr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an aqua clear 110 and a power head. Two smaller heaters are better than one large one and put them on a temp probe. Toss the air stone not needed. Yes you need to cure your dead rock, gets some bio spora to start and get a api test kit as it’s cheap readily available and covers the basis.

OP
OP
BrewDaddyDave

BrewDaddyDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an aqua clear 110 and a power head. Two smaller heaters are better than one large one and put them on a temp probe. Toss the air stone not needed. Yes you need to cure your dead rock, gets some bio spora to start and get a api test kit as it’s cheap readily available and covers the basis.

Thanks for the response! Is there any power head you recommend?

Grmreapr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5, eco tech mp40 those two off the top of my head but any that gives you good flow should work.

Grmreapr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if his budget is 500, you can pick things up used can you not?? Also he asked for recommendations which I gave and also stated any power head . So my question to you is if you have nothing to help the original OP then don’t post.

Nashvegas37128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if his budget is 500, you can pick things up used can you not?? Also he asked for recommendations which I gave and also stated any power head . So my question to you is if you have nothing to help the original OP then don’t post.
Not a question, that was a statement. Probably, suggesting things that aren’t half of the budget even used would be nice. I would start out with some Hydor’s or some Jebao’s cause you’ll need a couple of them and they’ll be a little more budget friendly. Just to get your feet wet to see if you like the hobby before you jump all in. But you could most definitely pick up a couple Nero 5’s or MP40’s if that’s the way you want to go.

Lobot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also starting my 55gal tank. Aquaclear 110 seems to be the way to go. The 50 and 70 just don’t cycle enough water.

OP
OP
BrewDaddyDave

BrewDaddyDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a question, that was a statement. Probably, suggesting things that aren’t half of the budget even used would be nice. I would start out with some Hydor’s or some Jebao’s cause you’ll need a couple of them and they’ll be a little more budget friendly. Just to get your feet wet to see if you like the hobby before you jump all in. But you could most definitely pick up a couple Nero 5’s or MP40’s if that’s the way you want to go.

should I go with something oversized? I see that most people suggest going with 110’s as opposed to 55’s

Nashvegas37128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, most definitely! More turnover and water flow is your best friend in this hobby. The bigger the filter the better

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back