Beginner coral packs?

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

so my 10 gallon Nano tank has been running wonderfully for the past 3 months. About a month ago I added in a purple firefish and ocellaris and they are both doing amazing. Two weeks ago I added a rock anem and a GSP. Also both doing well. Then today I added in an Athenia and mushroom coral. I am already planning my next corals, but I don’t really want to go back to my LFS and want to explore other options. Primary reason is my LFS is limited in beginner corals and the cheaper options they have are all very dull to me and I want to start livening and coloring up my tank. So my question is, has anyone had experience with beginner packs? I saw some vendors who offer frag packs catered to beginners but I’m not sure if I should trust them (WWC has a 3 frag LPS beginner pack for $85). I would order frags individually, but honestly I’m not too sure what I’m looking at on the countless pages of stock lists and thought a pack would be a better option for me. Would someone help steer me towards a trusted vendor they’ve used? I want to try get some color in the tank on a budget and also have some variety that my LFS can’t offer. Thanks everyone!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

so my 10 gallon Nano tank has been running wonderfully for the past 3 months. About a month ago I added in a purple firefish and ocellaris and they are both doing amazing. Two weeks ago I added a rock anem and a GSP. Also both doing well. Then today I added in an Athenia and mushroom coral. I am already planning my next corals, but I don’t really want to go back to my LFS and want to explore other options. Primary reason is my LFS is limited in beginner corals and the cheaper options they have are all very dull to me and I want to start livening and coloring up my tank. So my question is, has anyone had experience with beginner packs? I saw some vendors who offer frag packs catered to beginners but I’m not sure if I should trust them (WWC has a 3 frag LPS beginner pack for $85). I would order frags individually, but honestly I’m not too sure what I’m looking at on the countless pages of stock lists and thought a pack would be a better option for me. Would someone help steer me towards a trusted vendor they’ve used? I want to try get some color in the tank on a budget and also have some variety that my LFS can’t offer. Thanks everyone!

You don't list your experience, so while I don't want to rain on your parade, 3 month old nano tank without knowing more about your testing schedule and desires... I'd recommend spending more time researching what you like, what it needs and give you tank plus self time to mature in the hobby... Then when you do buy something, its something you love.

My BF keeps buying things in 'price range' instead of saving and going for more colorful (and expensive) things I'd prefer ... then complains there isn't enough color variations...

I've used WWC, top shelf, jason fox, and salty critters (for more rock anemones, if you want more of those) for mailorder. You don't indicate where in USA you are located, but you may also be able to find and buy unusual items at local frag swaps to big events like Aquashella, Reef A Palooza, MACNA

Perhaps these links will help you find others and events near you:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially in a nano i would not use random frag packs. It is worth the time and possibly a little extra expense researching and buying specifically what you want.

As far as "vendors" i suggest local hobbyists are ideal if you can find them(craigslist/facebook). Can even use the awful classified system here on R2R. The value you get is going to be a whole heck of a lot more than buying through WWC. They may show that 3-pack as a huge savings, but that is off their ridiculous inflated prices.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

AquaSD eBay auctions are your best friend. Cheap, healthy, beautiful corals.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner corals are usually pretty easy to grow and fast growing. That is why they are inexpensive.

I would suggest beginner corals at first. Once you get the beginner corals growing well and decently colored (for that coral) then you can go out and get some more expensive stuff. I have had good luck with LPS corals right from the beginning. They tend to be fairly forgiving. SPS corals are more difficult and some of the acropora corals can be a bit of a challenge.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like @AquaSD they have a good selection of corals and great live sales also they do eBay auctions every week. Zoas are an easy thing to get into and enjoy. Duncan corals are relatively easy and give flow to your tank. Cyphastrea and leptastrea aren't too hard either if you want something to encrust. They're softie mystery packs are cheap but you can also get zoa packs and all sorts of things.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else. I’ll add you can usually find cheaper acans that come in nice varieties. Red, green/purple/ pink or a combo for fairly cheap. Duncan’s imo are the greatest coral ever, they grow quick, are a flowy coral and are a nice purplish/green color. They are also cheap. Look into corals you really want and go from there. Buying from hobbyists on here is great and I believe there’s a thread on here that lists all the frag swaps for this year. Look for one in your area.

here ya go https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2022-shows-and-frag-swaps.872175/

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back