Beginner fish for 36g FOWLR

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first tank. It was a used tank and is already cycled. I've been getting my water parameters in check and it's time to start adding more fish. The problem I have is that I either find lists of beginner fish that belong in large tanks or fish for a small tank that are not meant for beginners.

I currently have a female ocellaris clownfish and a bicolor blenny. I'm going to attempt introducing another ocellaris clown. What other fish would be good tank mates? I would like a variety of fish that occupy different areas of the tank, arent going to kill each other and arent outrageously expensive. Here's a list I've been compiling of possible fish/inverts

Another Clown fish
Banggai cardinal
Fire fish
Chromis
Emerald crab
Flame hawk
Royal gram
Goby (not sure which one)
Ruby, Flasher, or Ferry wrasse
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Blue hermit crab
Astrae snail

Any advice?

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have sand and a lid. Ive heard dottyback can be aggressive. I've also be hearing that l cardinals can be expensive

Are any of the fish on my list expensive? I'd like to keep a max price of say $40 per fish, give or take. I for sure won't be spending over $100 on a fish.

Can all of these fish live in a 36 gallon or would it be too crowded? Is there any specific order that I should add them to keep aggression down?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinal or pajama cardinal are not very expensive and do well in a small tank. firefish can do well too, but can be very timid. If you have a peaceful tank, they will be out, if they are bullied they will hide constantly.
Shrimp and snails are ok in your tank. Hermit crabs may kill some snails if they want their shell. The hermit crab seem to live long. I had emerald crab a few years ago, and they did not live very long, but my hermit crabs are several years old.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have sand and a lid. Ive heard dottyback can be aggressive. I've also be hearing that l cardinals can be expensive

Are any of the fish on my list expensive? I'd like to keep a max price of say $40 per fish, give or take. I for sure won't be spending over $100 on a fish.

Can all of these fish live in a 36 gallon or would it be too crowded? Is there any specific order that I should add them to keep aggression down?

So, I'm a fan of tiny fish that are peaceful... which also means they love to go into overflow etc... I've countered with filter material near any openings at internal overflow.

You have goby, but you are missing the exciting (and cheap!) world of gobies. Okay so none I think of spend a lot of time at the top portion of water column, but you have other fish for that. Do only 1 each. While super peaceful as individuals, not when more than 1 esp in 36 (or even my 180 gallon). My favorites:
- neon blue goby (cleaner fish - old school rule any tang needs a neon blue for mani/pedi happiness, but they'll try to clean other fish periodically)
- court jester (also have another name)
- Hector goby
- Citron goby (this one does wild stuff perching like hawkfish without all those hawkfish downsides)
- bumble bee goby (Hector goby looks more like "bumble bee" colors but I don't name them lol)

lights are off in my tanks so I'm sure I'm forgetting some... and then there are blennies - tail spot blenny is sweet (just get one, and while it will go with a diamond or lawnmower blenny, use care mixing with others - my Ecsenius pulcher (which seems like a blenny but its so new to hobby) from Oman doesn't like my tail spot AT ALL ... E pulcher has been there since April and tailspot went in maybe month + ago and they are just starting to settle - both were too fast to move 1 (didn't care which) to another tank, and I feel lucky they are settling. Acclimation box didn't give me any indication I was going to have a problem, so that was a first...

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm a fan of tiny fish that are peaceful... which also means they love to go into overflow etc... I've countered with filter material near any openings at internal overflow.

You have goby, but you are missing the exciting (and cheap!) world of gobies. Okay so none I think of spend a lot of time at the top portion of water column, but you have other fish for that. Do only 1 each. While super peaceful as individuals, not when more than 1 esp in 36 (or even my 180 gallon). My favorites:
- neon blue goby (cleaner fish - old school rule any tang needs a neon blue for mani/pedi happiness, but they'll try to clean other fish periodically)
- court jester (also have another name)
- Hector goby
- Citron goby (this one does wild stuff perching like hawkfish without all those hawkfish downsides)
- bumble bee goby (Hector goby looks more like "bumble bee" colors but I don't name them lol)

lights are off in my tanks so I'm sure I'm forgetting some... and then there are blennies - tail spot blenny is sweet (just get one, and while it will go with a diamond or lawnmower blenny, use care mixing with others - my Ecsenius pulcher (which seems like a blenny but its so new to hobby) from Oman doesn't like my tail spot AT ALL ... E pulcher has been there since April and tailspot went in maybe month + ago and they are just starting to settle - both were too fast to move 1 (didn't care which) to another tank, and I feel lucky they are settling. Acclimation box didn't give me any indication I was going to have a problem, so that was a first...

I'm up to 2 clown fish, a firefish and a bicolor blenny. I'm going to go pick up some pajama cardinals and a goby, but I'm not sure which goby. I want one that will help clean the sand or rock and could pair with a pistol shrimp

My LFS doesn't have the greatest selection, so I want to go a list

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm with @blaxsun : fridmani (orchid) dottybacks should be at the top of anyone's list, especially if you've got interesting aquascape that they can explore. They truly are the most gorgeous fish, are very hardy, and can be fed virtually anything. They're also great at eating up bristleworms, if you have a problem with them.

The key appears to be buying captive-bred specimens...and buying them in pairs. They do squabble with each other at times, but I've never seen them go after other fish. Springeri dottybacks are equally mild-mannered, but their dark colouring makes them less easy to see against dark backdrops. Orchid dottybacks really are stunning, and some of the most beautiful aquarium fish you can find. I do have two singletons in two tanks, and they are absolutely not a problem with other fish. Do not confuse them with purple dottybacks; I understand that those can be tank terrors.

I'd stay away from other dottybacks, though. Ornate dottybacks are very shy -- I rarely see mine -- yellow dottybacks are nervous and darty, and many other species bring all sorts of drama, as lovely as they are.

Also worth a second look: radial or pygmy whitespotted filefish. You can't have a triggerfish in a tank your size, but filefish have the same shape and movement as them.

Pink-streaked wrasses don't get nearly enough love. They look very similar to sixline wrasses, but are much more sedate and won't harass other fish.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back