Beginner fish suggestions

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into getting one of those, but my local fish store does not have any or planning to have any in stock. So then I looked at other fish stores, but none had them. I was looking for one online on sites like liveaquaria etc, but a $30 fish turns out to about $80 because of the shipping.
Mine was $12 at local PetCo.
That's right -- PetCo!

This site has scared me away from PetCo but, at the time, I didn't know any better and, so far, no issues with anything.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not putting rock in your tank? Starting with dry rock would be okay to
I have "life rock" which is dry rock but it is infused with spored bacteria to make more beneficial bacteria to colonize the rock as soon as you put it in the aquarium. So it does a similar job that live rock does.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was $12 at local PetCo.
That's right -- PetCo!

This site has scared me away from PetCo but, at the time, I didn't know any better and, so far, no issues with anything.
I don't think I would trust buying my fish from petco, as you said many people say it is a bad place to get saltwater fish.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have "life rock" which is dry rock but it is infused with spored bacteria to make more beneficial bacteria to colonize the rock as soon as you put it in the aquarium. So it does a similar job that live rock does.

That's fine then. People use rock and live rock interchangeably. Once the rock is wet in your tank for a few days it's "live rock".

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine then. People use rock and live rock interchangeably. Once the rock is wet in your tank for a few days it's "live rock".
So this will not slow down my stability period? I heard that it takes a longer time for a tank to stabilize and mature if you have dry rock.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this will not slow down my stability period? I heard that it takes a longer time for a tank to stabilize and mature if you have dry rock.

Yes it will I'm just saying for purpose of having a coral Beauty you just want to have a decent amount of rock for it to graze. Rock that came into your tank dry or wet from whatever source will fulfill that purpose

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no. Live rock comes with its own macrofaunal (and macrofloral) biome. Liferock does not. The coral beauty will probably be fine if you feed it normally, but you're not going to give it what it wants, which is a nice supply of 'pods and various types of algae, along with regular feedings. If you sit around and watch a tank with angels, you'll see that they swim around and pick at the rocks -- and the life on them -- all day. I'd also suggest supplemental feedings with some type of nori on a clip. My coral beauty didn't like it as much as my other dwarfs, but then it also had a ton of live rock to graze.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no. Live rock comes with its own macrofaunal (and macrofloral) biome. Liferock does not. The coral beauty will probably be fine if you feed it normally, but you're not going to give it what it wants, which is a nice supply of 'pods and various types of algae, along with regular feedings. If you sit around and watch a tank with angels, you'll see that they swim around and pick at the rocks -- and the life on them -- all day. I'd also suggest supplemental feedings with some type of nori on a clip. My coral beauty didn't like it as much as my other dwarfs, but then it also had a ton of live rock to graze.
Thank you! I have a lot of rock for my tank while also leaving some good swimming room for other fish

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back