Beginner in need of some direction in planning a first tank

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I have previously been in the freshwater aquarium hobby for about 6 years, but from the very beginning, I always knew that a reef aquarium was what I wanted eventually.

I have also enjoyed researching the reef aquarium hobby on the side even when my current financial situation did not allow for it. (watching youtube videos etc.).

Well anyways, I recently decided that I was in a place where starting to plan my first reef aquarium would make sense.

I have currently a 900 dollar initial startup fund set aside for the tank but I am currently adding to this, and I was thinking of starting with a tank around the size of a 40-gallon breeder.

The coral I'm interested in keeping in this first tank is lps and softie corals.

My question is in regards to the type of tank I should pursue. I see all of these all-in-one systems at my lfs that seem easier and cheaper than trying to drill a tank myself etc. Specifically, the innovative marine Nuvo fusion 40 has piqued my interest. However, in my research, I have observed mixed feedback on all-in-one tanks in general, and a lot of other comments saying "a 75-gallon tank is the bare minimum for a begginer" type stuff.

I'm sure those arguments have merit but are they perhaps a bit overstated?

I guess my question boils down to if on my current budget I should buy an all-in-one tank or buy a 40-gallon breeder and drill an overflow, setup a sump, etc.

I am planning to take it really slow and to soak up a ton of knowledge from the from what I've seen extremely wonderful R2R community.

Also, any general tips on the planning process would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I apologize if there is a thread already on this subject.

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I would go with a sump. Simply because the total amount of water volume you could have. The more water, the less issues you'll deal with. I'm not saying an AIO tank is bad, but there are benefits tonhave a sump.

First, a sump allows for additional equipment. You can put a skimmer, reactors, and probes in the sump and they'll stay hidden away.

Second, a sump allows you to have room for a refugium if you want that. The refugium allows for pods, benificial algae, and additional biological filtration.

Third, is water volume. The amount of water will help with changes in chemistry. Your changes will still happen, but not as quickly as a tank with smaller water volume.

I would go with a 40g breeder with a custom sump, or something like a manufacturers us o versus a glass tank during a $1 per gallon sale. It's better to get the good equipment at first. You can definitely have a successful reef without the best equipment, but why not start off with better hardware before you add the software. Good luck.

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any recommendations on a good sump brand to look into? And in regards to the tank itself is a reef ready 40 gallon a good investment or will any old tank work? Finally, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what equipment is essential to initially setting up a reef tank, and what items are more optional. Like what's a generic list of the items I should begin to research?

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome KJ, and I have read that wonderful guide before!

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any recommendations on a good sump brand to look into? And in regards to the tank itself is a reef ready 40 gallon a good investment or will any old tank work? Finally, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what equipment is essential to initially setting up a reef tank, and what items are more optional. Like what's a generic list of the items I should begin to research?
You may be able to find decent equipment on here. I have a garage full of stuff lol. Years of being in the hobby.

In my opinion, you could drill the tank and save a few bucks. Plenty of threads and videos of how to. Also, as far as a brand of sump, there are acrylic sump builders out there that may be able to sell one cheaper but BRS has some nice ones.

With equipment, you'll need lighting, powerheads, return pump, skimmer, auto top off, and at least one media reactor at a minimum. This would be sufficient for awhile.

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I thought that if I was to go the non-AIO route I would build a stand as well. I'm sure there is a multitude of guides out there. I've also started an excel document to play around with equipment/budget combinations. Time to do some more individualized research on specific equipment. Thanks for the advice.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, a sump is not a requirement....
Consider a very simple 40 Breeder system with at most an in-tank Tunze skimmer or maybe a whole Tunze Reefpack filter system + ATO and heater. Very simple and slick. :)

But if you decide to go with a sump....
If you don't mind making a stand and you can wait for a $1/gal sale, get two 40 Breeders, use one for a tank and (if desired) get another for the sump. $80 you won't be sorry you spent. Hook it up with an old-school overflow box if you don't want to drill your tank...but at $40 you ought to buy a spare (third) tank just in case and go for drilling one of them. If you mess up, but not too bad, it can still be a reserve/QT/hospital tank. If it works, yay – and you still have a spare tank for QT/backup/hospital/whatever you want.

Upgrade the display >40B if you think your budget will allow. But remember that everything after the tank costs more than what you think it will. ;)

The 40B is a very nice mini-tank – a great place to start! It can be slightly limiting on fish selections, so be prepared to live within those limits.

BTW, a 75 Gallon is a great mid-sized tank. A 120 Gallon or 180 Gallon would be great tanks bordering on large size.

My tanks are 38 Gallons and 50 Gallons, BTW. 50 is a slightly taller 40 Breeder....18" high.

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I thought that if I was to go the non-AIO route I would build a stand as well. I'm sure there is a multitude of guides out there. I've also started an excel document to play around with equipment/budget combinations. Time to do some more individualized research on specific equipment. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, definitely resources. Plus, there's something to be said about doing what you can yourself.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
csm_0250.000_aa5f92430e.jpg

The Comline® Reefpack 250 features an optimum combination of technical filter components for seawater biotopes. It is designed to maintain near to natural conditions in sensitive seawater aquariums from 60 to 250 liters (15 to 65 USgal.).

Mechanical and chemical filtration with Comline® Filter 3162, refillable with any type of filter medium.
Surface intake for removal of bacteria film, ground intake for heavy particles and sediments.
Loop current in aquarium by energy saving pump with variable performance from 250 to 850 l/h (70 to 250 USgal./h).
Skimming with Comline® DOC Skimmer 9004, surface intake and high performance.
Storage tank 5002.100 with a volume of 13 liters (3.4 USgal.), serves as reservoir for refill water.
Energy consumption of only 8.5 W for all components, 230V/50Hz (115V/60Hz).
Supplied ready for installation, including patented Magnet Holder up to a pane thickness of 12 mm (1/2"), storage tank and filter cotton. Dimensions including skimmer cup (L x W x H): 110 x 180 x 305 mm (4.3 x 7.1 x 12 in.).

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get either the filter or the skimmer seperately.....but for a little over $200 that's a nice deal. The filter also houses a heater and the ATO sensor. You add....$99 for Osmolator nano; and any glass heater....I recommend Marineland or Eheim. See manual for size limit. Cool! :)

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I started sumpless and with some HOB equipment I could always upgrade to a sump later on right? And footprint is really the only concern with size so I'll just go ahead and do a 50. I really like the idea of starting off with the reefpack and HOB stuff because it seems to give me some wiggle room with my budget. But I also don't want to bottleneck my progress too much down the road.

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sound like quite the deal. And are there any particular light brands that aren't too expensive but are good quality to checkout?

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your really into it I would say start small you can always upgrade when your corals grow... me personally I started with a 10g fowlr tank... saw a 29g for 60$ with stand. So I got the overflow box. Converted my 10g into the sump..( you can get baffles on eBay and build a sump for 50$ as opposed to buying one for 3-400.. my next step is to do my upgrade.. probobaly in a year. Then I am going to add a fox face and probobaly a few birds nest and acropora. So if I have 3 points of advice. It's have a nice led you can light a 40gal tank for about 120-150$. Build your own sump because the profit margin is unreal. And avoid anemone because they are temperamental creatures that will cost you more than building your tank. But it will be worth it when my 2 bta have a radial mouth of 1 ft.. so worth it... then my 4th piece of advice is to budget for a smaller tank that you can put everything you want to get but you cant because something in your main display will conflict with it.
c0453507815f8a70cbee7b6e97cb9328.jpg
240eda5417dc1e4ae6ca99a2eb45b854.jpg
ed3068243ad3df7ce31911ef40a05ba0.jpg
the 10g I started about 18 months ago the display as it is now is about 13months old

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And footprint is really the only concern with size so I'll just go ahead and do a 50

The 40 Breeder is about the biggest I think you can get on the $1/gallon sale....if you don't mind forking out the extra for the 50 Breeder (it'll be quite a bit extra!) I do think it's a nicer shape for growing coral. If you shop around, there's also a 65 Gallon that's 24" tall....and 90 Gallon that's 36x24x24".

You'll need the larger reefpack for any of those. The smaller one is a little borderline even on the 50 Gallon. The upside the to more expensive, big one (reefpack 500) is that it's rated for up to about 150 Gallons and it comes with the higher end Osmolator ATO included.

Upgrading later is always possible. :) :)

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good. I'm currently just making entire excel sheets worth of equipment combinations and the like. Hopefully I find a combination that satisfies all of what I want to accomplish.

Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have but I don't particularly know where to start but I know I want two clownfish at least lol

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with finding people who keep fish similar to the ones you want. Look at all the ways those folks set up their tanks, how their fish did. Make sure you can figure out why they succeed and why they fail. Armed with knowledge like that, your chances of succeeding go way up.

Some things I can tell you just in a nutshell:
  • Go slower than you see everyone else going.
  • Give yourself the most chances to observe and learn as possible.
  • Rushing a cycle is a mistake.
  • Adding fish or other major livestock in large groups is a mistake.
  • Using nutrient reduction hacks on a new tank is a mistake.

Back