Beginner mixed reefer looking for any advice

RVA_MixedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’m fairly new to this hobby and just recently found out about reef2reef, I figured I’d see if any more experienced reefers have any advice or things to look out for in regards to keeping a very mixed reef tank? Anything that you wish you would have known when you first started out

Maybe some preferred water parameters?
Types of lighting, should I run more white than blue or vice versa? Or should there be any light at night?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the light: This depends on the tank, the types of corals, the light, the mounting height, and your visual preferences

As for water, this also varies, but typically these are good numbers
Ph:7.8-8.4 (higher values are better)
Alk: 7-13 (don't run high values if you have 0.00 nitrate and phosphate; in the middle is an easy spot to be at, but usually people just match their salt mix).
Calcium: 380-500ppm (can vary drastically)
Magnesium: 1280-1450ppm ish
Nitrate: (depends on the test kit and reasonable margins of error) 5ish-20ish ppm
Phosphate: 0.03ppm-0.1ppm

What size tank are you thinking of? I can make a list of things needed and recommended

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what salt mix or size of tank you will have!?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here.

Then figure out the budget you will have and we can go from there.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add blue clove polyps. They are small in diameter but cover quickly.
Almost purple in color to my eye. Lol. Beware the dreaded cloves. Some are kool like the larger white ones. Lol.
D
Nor GSP.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to R2R! I’ve been doing this for about 15 years (mostly mixed reefs the entire time). Some of the hardest lessons I learned were because I didn’t reach out and ask for help so you’re off to good start. This forum is full of super knowledgeable and awesome people. They have helped me a ton.

A few things that I would say:

-Parameters (both light and water) are best kept consistent. As much as you’ll want to chase numbers, don’t. Establish where you want to keep things and keep it there.
-Buy reliable test kits.
-Don’t use tap water to top off your tank. Distilled or RODI only. Unless you have tests that prove your tap water is safe (unlikely result). I live in Utah so our water is hard on reef tanks. Along those lines, use an ATO. All goes back to constant parameters.
-Establish a way to manage nutrient levels. Algae scrubber, skimmer, refugium, Roller mats.
-When you do run into algae problems just remember you can’t fix it over night. So try to maintain patients.
-Dip all corals and quarantine anything wet that goes into your tank unless purchased from someone that has already quarantined and you trust their quarantine process.
-Preventative maintenance is less costly than reactive maintenance.
-And last but not least, expect to have failures, mortalities, mistakes. Just remember it’s inevitable and happens to everyone. Patients is key in this hobby, you’ll hear it all the time. Nothing good happens in a reef tank over night. Changes/rectifications take weeks or months most times so do lots of research before you implement something and have patients while you wait.

Best of luck

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy a fish on a whime.
Meaning if its not reef safe or if its reef safe with caution. No. Don't do it.

Predator in your community tank cuz you think you get away with it. No. Dont.
I'll just feed him lots. Ya no. Not enough. Pass.

Ty for asking and making this thread. This will surely make your reef tank more on the enjoyable side vs. Troublesome.
D

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my advice...take it slow and concentrate on figuring out how to keep your primary parameters consistant (alk, ca, nitrate, phosphate, PH, temp and salinity). Once you figured that out, have your first, second and third bout with dinos because you messed up on your parameters and your nutrients bottomed out causing a huge dino outbreak. You get past THIS, and you got this hobby down. Everything else is child's play.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google Red Sea for parameters, they have a very good section for parameters for a mixed reef tank. I'm not saying that's the final word on the subject of parameters, but it's a good starting point and less anecdotal as they are based on experience with their products that help maintain those parameters and the logic and ranges are consistent with many experienced members here.

Do some reading in the sand rinse threads, especially the posts discussing the benefit of established and healthy biofilm of bacteria and Coraline algae on your rocks and sand (bacteria film) to help outcompete nuisance algae and bacteria. That concept is part of the take it slowly posts.

Consider a microscope as part of your necessary equipment. It's very common to have some sort of ugly out break and a microscope can help identify what's taking over and thus proper steps to take. Treatments for one nuisance can make another worse if the pest is incorrectly identified.

Plus 1 on the controller of the heater, and two heaters if cold can be an issue in the case of a heater shutting down. Not shutting off is a bigger issue which a controller can prevent. Heaters are among the cheapest pieces of equipment in the hobby and the most likely to fail.

On the opposite end, lights are among the most expensive and critical to the hobby. Thus Dana Riddle's Lighting sub-forum is a great visit to help understand what lights to get and how to use them.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gal and use reef crystals
RC is formulated for the higher end of ALk. Instant Ocean may, arguably, be a better choice for a mixed reef tank. At least it was my experience that maintaining that higher level of Alk was difficult until I switched to IO. Not saying that the lower Alk is better, but I can maintain it better (8-9 dkh) which fits right in with the concept that stability is more important to a degree than absolute numbers. You have a bigger system so it should naturally be more stable than my smaller system.

also fwiw if you look at the Red Sea options for a mixed reef, there is a relationship between the target ALK ranges and the NO3 PO4 ranges along with growth and coloration. If you decide to target their numbers make sure you are using a salt that is consistent with them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’m fairly new to this hobby and just recently found out about reef2reef, I figured I’d see if any more experienced reefers have any advice or things to look out for in regards to keeping a very mixed reef tank? Anything that you wish you would have known when you first started out

Maybe some preferred water parameters?
Types of lighting, should I run more white than blue or vice versa? Or should there be any light at night?
a good T5 fixture grows anything in a mixed reef without needing to tweek
Leds or worry about bleaching etc..

you hang it andddd… done. Perfecto !

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a good T5 fixture grows anything in a mixed reef without needing to tweek
Leds or worry about bleaching etc..

you hang it andddd… done. Perfecto !

I agree that the simpler the light the better for a new person in the hobby. That's why I think the reef brite lumi lights are so under rated. Cheaper and better performing par than an ati 8 bulb t5 (at least according to a brs test) and doesn't need special mounting equipment. I wonder why they haven't caught on more. Also I am sorta giving the stink eye to all the lighting companies who are terrible at informing their consumers as to how to best use their products lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the simpler the light the better for a new person in the hobby. That's why I think the reef brite lumi lights are so under rated. Cheaper and better performing par than an ati 8 bulb t5 (at least according to a brs test) and doesn't need special mounting equipment. I wonder why they haven't caught on more. Also I am sorta giving the stink eye to all the lighting companies who are terrible at informing their consumers as to how to best use their products lol

Well those are led and I wouldn’t directly think them as the same to T5.

My bet for them not being as popular is people go led for controllably. If you don’t care about control then T5 and MH start looking good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back