Beginner soft coral that is NOT A PEST

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a softie fanatic... there are so many to choose from it really is hard.. and honestly some softies are not for beginners. They get a bad rep and half the time these people who claim they are beginner corals cannot even get them to take off in their systems.. That being said a nice toadstool would be good or a some finger leather as well!

IMG_6817.jpg

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils hand corals or finger leathers are nice low light non pest corals. I find gsp easy to deal with by isolation on sand bed. Xenia I have no idea, because I have managed to kill 3 frags. If you want more flashy corals get a duncan.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils hand corals or finger leathers are nice low light non pest corals. I find gsp easy to deal with by isolation on sand bed. Xenia I have no idea, because I have managed to kill 3 frags. If you want more flashy corals get a duncan.
Duncan’s are fairly hardy, but they aren’t soft corals, so they do require you to pay closer attention to calc, alk, and mag (and nutrient export is more important).

Taiyaki.Visuals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a softie fanatic... there are so many to choose from it really is hard.. and honestly some softies are not for beginners. They get a bad rep and half the time these people who claim they are beginner corals cannot even get them to take off in their systems.. That being said a nice toadstool would be good or a some finger leather as well!

IMG_6817.jpg
Goals hahaha, I never could achieve a full softy tank. I wanted something in the easy realm like that.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6817.jpg
Your tank is stunning? If you don't mind, could you tell me how many gallons it is and what light your using? Also, what par would you suggest for a toadstool or finger leather? I am asking because I have a 5 gallon nano and am currently using the tank's given light. It is like 1.5 watts but I still want to keep coral. Would you suggest any coral or should i just wait for an upgrade?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is stunning? If you don't mind, could you tell me how many gallons it is and what light your using? Also, what par would you suggest for a toadstool or finger leather? I am asking because I have a 5 gallon nano and am currently using the tank's given light. It is like 1.5 watts but I still want to keep coral. Would you suggest any coral or should i just wait for an upgrade?
I would think 1.5 watts wouldn’t be enough to really grow anything, it might be enough to keep some low light soft corals alive, but they would thrive. You can find a light for a five gallon tank that would easily be good enough for softies and some lps for under $50. I would recommend at least 20watts of LEDs for a five gallon tank (though wattage per gallon and wattage in relation to PAR with LEDs really varies depending on the type of LED, the angle of the lens, etc), though you could definitely go higher or get away with less. I don’t know if there is any species I would recommend for a 1.5 watt light, but if you do choose to keep anything under that light, make sure the light is just an inch or two above the water and keep the coral directly under the light just an inch or two below the water.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with those that say Xenia is a pest. I had a few types in my very first tank and tried to get rid of it, but it kept popping up in later tanks even when I thought I'd scrubbed it clean. You don't even have to mess with it and it'll still break off and land somewhere to start a new colony. GSP is also a pest in my opinion. Anyway, if you want a softie that isn't a pest, I'd recommend the blue sympodium. Very beautiful blue and green coloration, grows in a tight bunch, grows moderately fast but doesn't bud off like xenia. Just make sure you put it on its own rock that you can isolate or move. It encrusts so it's hard to get rid of by scrapping. Very hardy coral as well

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea are very easy, beautiful, and won't become a nuisance.
GSP is easy to keep isolated. The mat pulls right off of the rock or whatever it is attached to.
Xenia is a nightmare to contain. Yes, it's cool, hardy, etc... But it will eventually spread everywhere in your tank.
Another hardy item to consider... Not technically corals, but inverts... Rock flower anemones!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont really want zoas due to the toxin stuff
the "toxin stuff" is nonsense.
there will be bacteria in your tank that could make you sick.
use common sense.
embrace the zoas. (not literally)
zoas 011821.jpg

gsp looks great. just put it off on its own.
all the leathers can grow quite large.
some people consider shrooms a pest as the can spread.
I love them.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2FE6FBC0-9939-49B0-834C-C77996EBA76C.jpeg

Agreed about the loveliness of Xenia— don’t be hatin’! Lol. That said, there are many beautiful and hardy leathers that don’t ‘drop’ anything, and couldn’t be considered a pest Coral in any way. Best wishes, and have fun!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember getting this list from someone on R2R. Hope it helps!

Not online but YouTube Tidal Gardens. He does a great breakdown on every type of coral you could think of.

edit. I'm also trying to wrap my head around a 1.5 watt light

Last edited:
Back