Beginner to macro algae

fearless_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I bought a 5 gallon pico tank in hopes of making it into a macro alae tank. I have never had a macro algae tank so I had a few questions on how to start. First I have a cheap $15 nicrew fresh water light from an old tank, will this work on a macro algae setup or will I have to purchase a more expensive light if so suggestions would be great. next do macro algae need specific flow or does it generally stay the same? lastly are chocolate chip stars safe for a macro algae tank? I have only found a few articles from over ten years ago and they are all giving different answers.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a light, I prefer any coral light. It doesn't have to be a several hundred dollar light, but just something reliable with good color and par. For flow, this depends on the species (some prefer moderate, some prefer less).

I would make sure to supplement trace elements with something like chaetogro, two little fishies iron, etc..

I am not sure about the chocolate chip, but they seem to eat quite a variety of stuff and it wouldn't suprise me if they did munch on the macroalgae.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just start by saying it’s not going to be easy, you may want a slightly more powerful light 12000 to18000 Kelvin would be ideal for growth and visual appeal, look at the seachem range exel and flourish are my personal choice to keep trace and nutrients in check.

tip: a good population of amphipods will keep you plants debrie free

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back