Beginner

bubuchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to salt water tank hobby.
I dissolve the salt water formula for few days while running the filter and after that I put the sand and decoration.

Daily I am dropping beneficial bacteria formula which I brought from the store. I didn't include any Iive rocks or live sand as I don't know to maintain or cure them. I want to build an FO tank for now and upgrade after a year maybe.

Currently I am using 2 filters (one over top and one internal). I am still trying to buy a power head for the built in sump/ filter for my aquarium.

I put a bit of fish food 2 days ago and tested my nitrite and it's on normal level in the scale.

I want to ask when I can add even single or a couple of fish in my tank?

Should I continue adding the beneficial bacteria for few more days before I purchase a fish or what?

Thank you for the help

IMG20200702173953.jpg

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots to learn. I would start on YouTube and look up the videos produced by BRS wealth of information on there for starting a tank.

But to answer your question you can add 1 fish when the nitrogen cycle is complete (look up nitrogen cycle) when your tank is free from fish killing ammonia.

Now you don't have any live rock or sand (which i would suggest you buy) so all of your beneficial bacteria will be contained within your filter media. What are you using for sand? Looks like some stuff that might contain silicate which is going to lead to undesirable algae that you will never rid.

Ask questions this is a great community.
Start a build thread as so you can add to it.

Post everything that is running that tank.

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'm free today so I'm gonna help

Whats your sality at? Do you have a refroctometer your gonna need a way of measuring SG (specific gravity)

Whats the temp of the tank and how are you controlling it?

Whats your long term goals in this hobby?

"Normal" level for nitrite is zero

What are you using for test?

Remember salt does not evorprate only fresh water evoraprated to replenish with fresh water.

What are you using for water?
I would suggest rodi if you don't have access at the least distilled. If you are using tap (which i advise against) whats your method for dechlorating?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t say what the beneficial bacteria are, or what the product is, but many of them need fish adding around the same time to produce waste for those bacteria to feed on or they may die off. Just follow the instructions

Also has already said, check your salinity and temperature are at the correct levels and make sure your aware of how to keep them there

Here are a couple of good guides for you

OP
OP
B

bubuchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots to learn. I would start on YouTube and look up the videos produced by BRS wealth of information on there for starting a tank.

But to answer your question you can add 1 fish when the nitrogen cycle is complete (look up nitrogen cycle) when your tank is free from fish killing ammonia.

Now you don't have any live rock or sand (which i would suggest you buy) so all of your beneficial bacteria will be contained within your filter media. What are you using for sand? Looks like some stuff that might contain silicate which is going to lead to undesirable algae that you will never rid.

Ask questions this is a great community.
Start a build thread as so you can add to it.

Post everything that is running that tank.
Hello, I bought a regular fine sand in the pet shop.

OP
OP
B

bubuchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'm free today so I'm gonna help

Whats your sality at? Do you have a refroctometer your gonna need a way of measuring SG (specific gravity)

Whats the temp of the tank and how are you controlling it?

Whats your long term goals in this hobby?

"Normal" level for nitrite is zero

What are you using for test?

Remember salt does not evorprate only fresh water evoraprated to replenish with fresh water.

What are you using for water?
I would suggest rodi if you don't have access at the least distilled. If you are using tap (which i advise against) whats your method for dechlorating?
Hello, I would check my temperature and the salinity. I have this simple salinometer which my pet shop recommended. It has scales for temp and sg. I was told to make sure the scale falls in the green line always. I will give the exact details tomorrow.

I am using tap water. Generally, Tap water in our area are safe for human consumption. But I know the precautions if used in a tank. I saved enough water in a container and mixed it with newly boiled water to heat it off. I let it sit for a night opened for evaporation. After that, I run a carbon filter for few nights.

After transferring it to my aquarium, I ran again the carbon filtration for few nights before I start adding the salt water formula which I let sit to be dissolved for few nights as well before I added the decorations and the sand.

I am using a test kit that I bought also for nitrite.will send pictures tomorrow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back