Beginners Please Read!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my LFS for 'live' live rock and they laughed. Can't get that any more, I was told. Anyone in the UK know a reliable source for this stuff?
I'm not in the UK but there was a thread with @wwarby who is in the UK and he knows where to locate some I believe

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this live rock that was in the Gulf of Thailand less than a week ago and I'd say it looks to be worth every penny! Wasn't too expensive here either....not even aquacultured, just rock straight out of the ocean. Zoa's on it, few little nems, sponges, a ton of desirable microfauna! IMG_20220724_191419.jpg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I asked my LFS for 'live' live rock and they laughed. Can't get that any more, I was told. Anyone in the UK know a reliable source for this stuff?
See and that’s why most don’t. It’s very hard and expensive to get in certain places that is live ocean rock.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See and that’s why most don’t. It’s very hard and expensive to get in certain places that is live ocean rock.
Diversity can still be achieved even without live rock. Just takes more time/patience. With that said, that is one thing all beginners need to know. Patience is key. Diversity will come, uglies will be a little more prominent, but time and regular care will solve all of that.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let’s talk about the reality of owning a saltwater tank for a moment! It’s no secret this hobby is expensive, a lot of work, and has a high failure rate. Know that when you see that picture perfect tank on Instagram that it isn’t always like that and this is the reality. The reality is often a nutrient/algae battle, losing corals and fish due to imperfect water quality, receiving bad advice, and having a lack of knowledge commonly in the first year or so especially in a nano tank. For beginners this forum is 10x better than social media groups. And no matter how careful you are unpredictable things happen. Like life…this hobby is a learning experience and there’s so many ways to do things it’s not one size fits all. And if it isn’t broken don’t try and fix it! But when you figure it all out and your tank finds equilibrium then it’s all worth it.
8A9D5DBD-1138-4F91-88DD-55BDA51C8875.png
The issue with most beginners, they aren't reading.... Run into pet store, see something, buy something, trouble brews. Abandon ship~!
There is no possible way to know how many gave up or fought to get things stable and going.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me 2 hours to make up 5 Gallons of rodi water. It takes me 6 min. Every 3 days to clean my filters. 2 min. To scrape my ats screen once a week. About 30 seconds to fill tank every day with rodi water with 1/2 teaspoon reefbuilder in every gallon of make up water. Check magnesium and calcium once a month. Clean front glass every 2 or3 days. If you wait to long you have to use a razorblade to get coraline off the glass. Put trace in once a week. No water changes. For me. I have been doing this routine for 1year and 3 months .
20220716_105040.jpg
20220612_201158.jpg
20220612_201135.jpg
20220612_201118.jpg
20220612_201114.jpg
20220612_201044.jpg
20220612_201030.jpg
20220612_201020.jpg
20220612_201013.jpg
20220122_100731.jpg

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to a point. Reefing is more expensive than freshwater. However, it doesn't have to be as expensive or difficult as it is for some.
Forming local groups, buying used, and sharing the hobby (rather than cashing in) make it more affordable and easier for beginners to be successful. I founded a local group that is dedicated to making the hobby more accessable, affordable, and easier.
We all can have a part in making things better, there is no one way to reef. And those disappointed with social groups, keep looking, there are good ones out there.

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not in the UK but there was a thread with @wwarby who is in the UK and he knows where to locate some I believe
Yeah they have it in my LFS, Advanced Aquarium Consultancy in Harlow, Essex. I’m not sure if they do mail order, but I’ve seen the wet live rock in there with my own eyes a couple of days ago.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby might be on the verge of realizing it is not bacteria diversity that is important but rather having multiple trophic levels is the best way to ensure that an aquarium supports animal growth and health AND looks nice.

Multiple trophic levels is what the hobby has already started talking about when saying add live rocks and add pods. How many trophic levels? Bacteria and micro algae need to grow and be continuously eaten, the consumers of microorganisms need to be consumed, and these consumers need consuming. I doubt we will need many more levels, but who knows. We will learn about this soon.
We will never going to be able to create a autonomous trophic level in our reef aquariums , organism in our systems will always be dependent on what we add to it to complete/aid the levels.
Interesting observation up to 90% of what’s eaten is lost in between trophic levels through waste.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back