Beginning coral questions

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, have you considered adding another fish? This will give you a lot more movement and it will open up a million more coral options!

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really understand the media reactors, I can't tell if it would be necessary for me I've got a 20g long with a protein skimmer, powerhead, and a large filter; my main reason for being hesitant is I've got a lot hanging off of the back already and I'm on my last plug in my power strip lol. I was thinking a hammer coral and maybe one other? That would give me two zoas and one frog spawn with the addition to the hammer and another coral. I'd like something to put up on my rocks though!

Cool thread on a smaller tank. And the rock form, I like. Your transform is looking good..

Media reactors serve a multitude of purposes. Imho, they are the best thing besides protein skimmers for this hobby add far as filtration. But you can run/use some of anything in a media reactor. There are (as far as I know and have experienced), two main types we as Hobbyist use in our systems which are the single pass and recirc reactor. I will let you look them up and each had its benefits.

But primarily, media reactors can be said to "be used to force a solution or be a more effective solution" to a great many things: phosphate problem(in the tank) - gfo in a media reactor, nitrate problem - well, this one isn't as easy to clarify as this isn't the only option but you can run sulfur media, ionic media such as purigen, etc, just want to clear up your water - carbon(quality) in a media reactor fir a few days, etc.. Pellets in a media reactor, imho deserve a bit of investigation(and understanding) , as your dealing with carbon dosing, separate cycles, and a bit going on that's more advanced.

But the reactor in itself is simply, most of the time, a tube that maximize contact with the media, versus just being in a mesh bag that gets uneven distribution. Then, putting it simply, you control the flow for the type of media your using to maximize that media. Some media is tumbled hard, some soft. They are very versatile though..

And lol, following your thread!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cat, goni and alveopora will need target feeding and once you get a bit more experience keeping coral they should be relatively easy to keep :) the goniopora can be tricky to keep, but ORA grow ones that are supposed to be pretty easy. Alveopora are pretty easy too. They both need similar light to your frogspawn and just enough flow to gently wave the tentacles.
Catallaphylia are known to be very hard to keep, but if you find an aussie specimen and keep up your maintainance routine they can be done. A little extra light than our frogspawn and similar flow. Again you'll need a bit more experience before trying this one, but it will add quite a lot of colour and movement to your tank.
Hammers and torches are pretty much the same care as your frogspawn too. Also they're easy to keep, cheap and very nice corals! Lots of different colour varieties and the corals I would personally recommend for movement.

You won't need any reactors or dosing equipment for a 20gal. Water changes will be more than enough :)
You can keep hammers and frogspawns up on the rock. Zoas too, but they will grow over the rock in time.

What do you mean exactly by target feeding, getting the prongs and feeding them by the hand? I may wait to get a little more experience before getting any of those three really do my research before purchasing one because I want them to be able to thrive in my tank! Awesome I'm thinking about picking up a hammer or a torch today or tomorrow! Okay awesome I was really not trying to buy a media reactor but if it was necessary I'd be willing to. I have thought about adding another fish, any advice to the ones I've already got? I have 2 clowns one black, one regular and a red striped angel along with 3 hermits and 3 snails. Not sure where to go from here with fish but I'd like something with some color and swims around but not like my clowns who just swim by the front and sides all day.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread on a smaller tank. And the rock form, I like. Your transform is looking good..

Media reactors serve a multitude of purposes. Imho, they are the best thing besides protein skimmers for this hobby add far as filtration. But you can run/use some of anything in a media reactor. There are (as far as I know and have experienced), two main types we as Hobbyist use in our systems which are the single pass and recirc reactor. I will let you look them up and each had its benefits.

But primarily, media reactors can be said to "be used to force a solution or be a more effective solution" to a great many things: phosphate problem(in the tank) - gfo in a media reactor, nitrate problem - well, this one isn't as easy to clarify as this isn't the only option but you can run sulfur media, ionic media such as purigen, etc, just want to clear up your water - carbon(quality) in a media reactor fir a few days, etc.. Pellets in a media reactor, imho deserve a bit of investigation(and understanding) , as your dealing with carbon dosing, separate cycles, and a bit going on that's more advanced.

But the reactor in itself is simply, most of the time, a tube that maximize contact with the media, versus just being in a mesh bag that gets uneven distribution. Then, putting it simply, you control the flow for the type of media your using to maximize that media. Some media is tumbled hard, some soft. They are very versatile though..

And lol, following your thread!

Awesome thanks! Ya I've been considering taking out the castle and create another small type of cave system but my angel loves the castle a lot and I'm pretty sure he sleeps in there… If i start getting some major issues then I'll probably end up picking up a media reactor just a college student budget so don't really want to spend money unless its absolutely necessary for me to have! Thanks for the follow man!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean exactly by target feeding, getting the prongs and feeding them by the hand? I may wait to get a little more experience before getting any of those three really do my research before purchasing one because I want them to be able to thrive in my tank! Awesome I'm thinking about picking up a hammer or a torch today or tomorrow! Okay awesome I was really not trying to buy a media reactor but if it was necessary I'd be willing to. I have thought about adding another fish, any advice to the ones I've already got? I have 2 clowns one black, one regular and a red striped angel along with 3 hermits and 3 snails. Not sure where to go from here with fish but I'd like something with some color and swims around but not like my clowns who just swim by the front and sides all day.

Everyone target feeds a bit different, but it's essentially focussing on a specific coral, coral polyp or fish while feeding. I use a turkey baster when I target feed. I turn off all my pumps and wait for the water to stop moving around. I feed my fish (other wise the fish steal the corals food) and while the fish are being fed, it triggers a feeding response from my coral and all the little feeder tentacles come out. I use the turkey baster to gently drop a piece of mysis or finely chopped squid onto the tentacles and the coral will feed itself. It's really fun watching them eat. There are packaged foods out there specifically designed for corals and some sound like they work really well. Each coral is different in what it will eat, most will accept mysis, but some have mouths which are too small and need a finer food.
That's a good desicion to hold out a bit longer for those other corals. I'd hate for you to buy an expensive coral and have it not thriving because I told you to. The gonipora and alveopora are both corals which require special sized foods to feed on. The goni generally needs the additional food to survive. The alveopora usually doesn't need it, but will benefit from it.
Because you have a 20 gal, you can do larger water changes if necessary, so a lot of equipment larger tanks can use isn't needed on smaller tanks. Thing like the reactors and dosing pumps and stuff. You can do a 50% water change if you need to, but if you had a 400 gallon tank you couldn't really do it lol.
Fish wise, gobies and blennies are really cool. Most gobies would be happy in your tank, but some blennies need a bit more space. Cardinals, dartfish, Talbots damsel (most would people say I'm crazy to recommend a damsel, but the talbot is really peaceful. I had one in a 5 gal with a goby and no one attacked anything), I believe possum wrasses can be kept in a 20 gallon too.
Check out the live aquaria website to see some more fish that are available and each fish they have posted has a bit of info posted about it too. That way you'll have a bit more of an idea of what you would like to add :) it'll also give you a rough guide on pricing.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone target feeds a bit different, but it's essentially focussing on a specific coral, coral polyp or fish while feeding. I use a turkey baster when I target feed. I turn off all my pumps and wait for the water to stop moving around. I feed my fish (other wise the fish steal the corals food) and while the fish are being fed, it triggers a feeding response from my coral and all the little feeder tentacles come out. I use the turkey baster to gently drop a piece of mysis or finely chopped squid onto the tentacles and the coral will feed itself. It's really fun watching them eat. There are packaged foods out there specifically designed for corals and some sound like they work really well. Each coral is different in what it will eat, most will accept mysis, but some have mouths which are too small and need a finer food.
That's a good desicion to hold out a bit longer for those other corals. I'd hate for you to buy an expensive coral and have it not thriving because I told you to. The gonipora and alveopora are both corals which require special sized foods to feed on. The goni generally needs the additional food to survive. The alveopora usually doesn't need it, but will benefit from it.
Because you have a 20 gal, you can do larger water changes if necessary, so a lot of equipment larger tanks can use isn't needed on smaller tanks. Thing like the reactors and dosing pumps and stuff. You can do a 50% water change if you need to, but if you had a 400 gallon tank you couldn't really do it lol.
Fish wise, gobies and blennies are really cool. Most gobies would be happy in your tank, but some blennies need a bit more space. Cardinals, dartfish, Talbots damsel (most would people say I'm crazy to recommend a damsel, but the talbot is really peaceful. I had one in a 5 gal with a goby and no one attacked anything), I believe possum wrasses can be kept in a 20 gallon too.
Check out the live aquaria website to see some more fish that are available and each fish they have posted has a bit of info posted about it too. That way you'll have a bit more of an idea of what you would like to add :) it'll also give you a rough guide on pricing.

Okay awesome I've already got a turkey baster oddly enough for a college student lol. Awesome I'm stoked to see that when I get a coral that needs target feeding it seems awesome at my LFS he has a couple that he target feeds. Thats true I definitely see the point you're making I usually do weekly or every other week water changes of 5 gallons. Nice I was thinking about a blennie next! I'll check out the live aquaria website and then post what fish I'm thinking. Unfortunately after returning from the weekend it appears the blue agave zoa is beginning to melt away but the other one is still plump and has the mouth open but it's still not really coming out. Yet the frogspawn still doing really well!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it back definitely more interested in a goby now!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are awesome! You'll have a lot of fun with them. They normally have a lot of personality depending on the species.
Have to decided on what goby you like?

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are awesome! You'll have a lot of fun with them. They normally have a lot of personality depending on the species.
Have to decided on what goby you like?

So bummer had to trade my red striped angel away :(. He was the ultimate reason why my zoas wouldn't open up.. He was picking at them finally witnessed it. Traded for a "reef safe" fish and then picked up a couple more corals! Got my water tested and everything was too a tee even the salinity at 1.025! I forgot what one of the corals was called and idk what the fish is called! Any chance you can help me identify? Also one of my zoas is still closed and looks pretty irritated any advice? One of the new corals is a teal button coral, then I don't remember the other one!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415142559.470567.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415142574.820614.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415142585.611682.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415142597.338469.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415142606.729690.jpg

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the unfortunate looking zoa...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415142641.467377.jpg

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember watchout with the yellow watchman gobby and its paired shrimp they tend to dig under the rocks so make sure the rocks are laying on the bottom of the tank so they dont drop any rocks.my yellow watchman choose to be in a corner were the rock has a little cave under it.
2014-11-03 20.33.38.jpg
2014-11-04 15.38.18.jpg
2014-11-04 15.38.22.jpg
my mandarin goby i put copepods in the tank in the beginning of my tank so he would have a food colony built up by the time i got him hes always grazing on the little buggers.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the fish, but would have to look through my reference books for the name as I don't remember it. It's a dottyback of some sort I in not mistaken. Looks very nice!!
The first coral is a Duncan.
The second and third are candy canes.
The fourth is a bit hard to see. Maybe a mushroom of some sort?
All pretty easy corals to look after and they all look incredible as large colonies. Goodluck! You'll know if they're happy as they'll stay puffed up and fat and you may notice new growth relatively quickly.
Too bad about the zoa. It looks stressed, but not terminal. Just keep an eye on it and try not to move it around. Time will be the best healing tool for now :)

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the fish, but would have to look through my reference books for the name as I don't remember it. It's a dottyback of some sort I in not mistaken. Looks very nice!!
The first coral is a Duncan.
The second and third are candy canes.
The fourth is a bit hard to see. Maybe a mushroom of some sort?
All pretty easy corals to look after and they all look incredible as large colonies. Goodluck! You'll know if they're happy as they'll stay puffed up and fat and you may notice new growth relatively quickly.
Too bad about the zoa. It looks stressed, but not terminal. Just keep an eye on it and try not to move it around. Time will be the best healing tool for now :)

Thanks! Ya I thought he'd add some color and movement to my tank! Nice anything I need to know about dottybacks? Nice that is totally what it was called Duncan! The candy cane one I believe they called it a teal button is that what their actually called candy canes? The fourth is a zoa that I bought that just opened up today! Awesome my frogspawn, Duncan, and teal button are all puffed up. Awesome Im hoping it'll stay alive!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some dottybacks can get quite aggressive, but some don't. That's all I can really say at the moment lol. I'll try to get a bit more info once I get home and have a flick through my books.
Yea, the teal button would be the candy cane. Candy cane is one of the most commonly used names for the species and the scientific name is caulestrea. A lot of different species are given the common name "button coral" or "button polyp" from zoas to cynarinas to candy canes :)
You've got some great corals there, they're a lot of fun to watch eating!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some dottybacks can get quite aggressive, but some don't. That's all I can really say at the moment lol. I'll try to get a bit more info once I get home and have a flick through my books.
Yea, the teal button would be the candy cane. Candy cane is one of the most commonly used names for the species and the scientific name is caulestrea. A lot of different species are given the common name "button coral" or "button polyp" from zoas to cynarinas to candy canes :)
You've got some great corals there, they're a lot of fun to watch eating!

Okay awesome no worries! As of right now he's made a little cave between the rock and sand that he'll go to. Nice I was going to go pick up some tongs and pellet seaweed is that a good call or should I go a different route?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome no worries! As of right now he's made a little cave between the rock and sand that he'll go to. Nice I was going to go pick up some tongs and pellet seaweed is that a good call or should I go a different route?

Do you mean like feeding tongs?
I don't have a lot of experience with pellet foods as I prefer fresh seafood and nori, but there's some high quality pellets out there. New Life Spectrum and New Era are two names that come to mind, but there's plenty more. I imagine Hikari would make a good marine pellet, I know their freshwater pellets are good :)

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean like feeding tongs?
I don't have a lot of experience with pellet foods as I prefer fresh seafood and nori, but there's some high quality pellets out there. New Life Spectrum and New Era are two names that come to mind, but there's plenty more. I imagine Hikari would make a good marine pellet, I know their freshwater pellets are good :)

Yeah is there another way of feeding other then the tongs? I don't want to do fresh seafood because it'll just dirty my tank and in so paranoid about it idk why hah. My diatom bloom is pretty much already gone! I'll look into hikari for sure!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just put the food straight in the tank. The fish will find it on their own sooner or later :) you don't have to take food directly to the fish. Or you could use a turkey baster and suck the food up, then gently blow it out near the fish. They'll learn what the baster is for and eventually follow it around the tank trying to eat from it even if there's no food inside lol.
I personally only use feeding tools for large ambush predators like eels and scorpionfish. On my 120 when it's stocked with a few more fish I may go back to the turkey baster. That way I can control how much each fish gets a bit better.
Haha fair enough :) Is it the mess any uneaten food creates that you don't like or is it excess nutrients your concerned about?
I've used hikari frozen foods and the freshwater pellets (feeding cichlids) with great success! You shouldn't have any issues there.
Awesome! Your sand will be back to it's old glory soon :)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish is a splendid dottyback :)
They can grow to about 4-5 inches and can become aggressive even to much larger fish. Awesome looking fish!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back