OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish is a splendid dottyback :)
They can grow to about 4-5 inches and can become aggressive even to much larger fish. Awesome looking fish!

So you're saying it will get more aggressive? Yeah he's burrowing under the rocks making little caves haha

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely yes. He may not allow new fish to be added to the tank.
However I've heard of people taking them out and adding a new fish, then a few days/weeks later re adding the aggressor and it lessening the aggression. It's not a perfect system but it can work.
Lol awesome! Sounds like he's fun to watch :)

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely yes. He may not allow new fish to be added to the tank.
However I've heard of people taking them out and adding a new fish, then a few days/weeks later re adding the aggressor and it lessening the aggression. It's not a perfect system but it can work.
Lol awesome! Sounds like he's fun to watch :)

Bummer hopefully he's a lot more chill and doesn't become aggressive because I'd like to add more fish! He is he's pretty funny just hanging in the cave all the time. Also the other zoas opened up! Under the blue light they're pink this what they look like under normal! Do you have any idea what it is?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415324915.800135.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer hopefully he's a lot more chill and doesn't become aggressive because I'd like to add more fish! He is he's pretty funny just hanging in the cave all the time. Also the other zoas opened up! Under the blue light they're pink this what they look like under normal! Do you have any idea what it is?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415324915.800135.jpg

Hopefully he behaves for you :) you could try an acclimation box to test for aggression if you add more fish.
Awesome! Good to hear! Seems like your having much better luck with zoas than I ever did lol.
Sorry, I'm not big on fancy zoa names so I can't give you a name. Maybe start a new thread and someone will jump in with a name.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I really appreciate it! Sadly my black small clownfish died last night out of nowhere.. Was totally fine then he was on the bottom laying in the sand. Have no idea what happened totally sucks! Will try to find the cause and planning to get a black clownfish soon after I find the cause. If there is one. Doing a water change today too just because I'm going into panic mode and don't want my other clown (my first fish) or my new splendid dottyback to die or be harmed!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I really appreciate it! Sadly my black small clownfish died last night out of nowhere.. Was totally fine then he was on the bottom laying in the sand. Have no idea what happened totally sucks! Will try to find the cause and planning to get a black clownfish soon after I find the cause. If there is one. Doing a water change today too just because I'm going into panic mode and don't want my other clown (my first fish) or my new splendid dottyback to die or be harmed!

No worries :)
Ah that sucks. I'm sorry or your loss.
Did you figure out what happened?

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he behaves for you :) you could try an acclimation box to test for aggression if you add more fish.
Awesome! Good to hear! Seems like your having much better luck with zoas than I ever did lol.
Sorry, I'm not big on fancy zoa names so I can't give you a name. Maybe start a new thread and someone will jump in with a name.

Those are Hawaii ding dang people eaters I just got some myself yesterday here's a reference http://www.canadacorals.com/collections/livestock/products/hawaiian-ding-dang-people-eater-palythoa

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries :)
Ah that sucks. I'm sorry or your loss.
Did you figure out what happened?

No have no idea what happened! Went and checked my water and everything was perfect. Possibly had an internal bug because he never went after the food like my other clown does, which is a bummer just didn't know what to look for but now I do next time. Going to go to my LFS tomorrow see if they'd trade me the splendid dotty back for a black clown that way I'll be able to add more fish easier and knowing me I'll probably pick up a coral too hah.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415945539.899751.jpg

Got them both to be perfectly fine with little to no fighting!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! They look happy and healthy :)
Looks like the diatoms cleared up nicely. Your tank looks very clean!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! They look happy and healthy :)
Looks like the diatoms cleared up nicely. Your tank looks very clean!

Ya it cleared up in a total of about two weeks! The tank is very clean now which helps my ocd about it haha. The zoas are already growing new heads as well!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Ya it cleared up in a total of about two weeks! The tank is very clean now which helps my ocd about it haha. The zoas are already growing new heads as well!
Sorry, I missed your post.
Did you end up finding out what happened to that clown?
Your having much better luck than I ever did with zoas! They always died off on me lol

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Sorry, I missed your post.
Did you end up finding out what happened to that clown?
Your having much better luck than I ever did with zoas! They always died off on me lol

No worries! I believe the dottyback got aggressive and attacked him because he was down by where he would hangout. The two clowns I have now are getting along greatly and I just bought an automatic feeder and 200 w heater! One of my zoas has 7 heads the pink Maui waui one, the other is just now growing a second head. I think my candy cane coral is creating a new head. My Duncan and frogspawn haven't grown.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! I believe the dottyback got aggressive and attacked him because he was down by where he would hangout. The two clowns I have now are getting along greatly and I just bought an automatic feeder and 200 w heater! One of my zoas has 7 heads the pink Maui waui one, the other is just now growing a second head. I think my candy cane coral is creating a new head. My Duncan and frogspawn haven't grown.

That sucks. Atleast the clowns are happy together.
Ah nice one! Your getting pretty good growth considering its a new tank! Candy canes will usually split one head into two, you'll notice the head shape changing slightly into an egg shape, then into an "8" sort of shape and a second mouth forming before it splits off into its own separate head.
Got any pics? :)

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Atleast the clowns are happy together.
Ah nice one! Your getting pretty good growth considering its a new tank! Candy canes will usually split one head into two, you'll notice the head shape changing slightly into an egg shape, then into an "8" sort of shape and a second mouth forming before it splits off into its own separate head.
Got any pics? :)

It does it was LFS that sold me the Angel too.. Clearly they don't know their ins and outs of fish comparability in a nano tank.. Awesome ya I'm really looking forward to my Duncan and frogspawn growing sooner then later hopefully haha. All the corals have been randomly catching the carnivore pellets I give my fish. Of course I got pictures for ya!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416515543.523543.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416515566.021009.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416515584.090902.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm seems like they wana sell people whatever they want to buy. Not what they can keep. I've bad experiences with LFSs like that.
That little bit of food will go a long way and spur on some nice growth!
Nice looking coral :) What's that green piece beneath the Duncan?

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm seems like they wana sell people whatever they want to buy. Not what they can keep. I've bad experiences with LFSs like that.
That little bit of food will go a long way and spur on some nice growth!
Nice looking coral :) What's that green piece beneath the Duncan?

Ya this one appears to be that way because when they gave me the black clown I was like that looks pretty close to the size I got now and they were no shouldn't have any problems lol.. I knew better and got them acclimated before I put them both in the tank. Awesome Im hoping it does start to spur some new growth! It's a frogspawn!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya this one appears to be that way because when they gave me the black clown I was like that looks pretty close to the size I got now and they were no shouldn't have any problems lol.. I knew better and got them acclimated before I put them both in the tank. Awesome Im hoping it does start to spur some new growth! It's a frogspawn!

Sounds like the LFS I used to visit. They told me a fish that max's out at around 2ft would live long term in my 5 gal. Jerks.
Good thinking ahead! You may have saved a fishes life :)
Ah right. I was wondering where the frogspawn was. On my phone it doesn't look like a frogspawn lol.

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qh2214 a good reference for fish info is live aquaria, I'll send you some links I've kept since I started over a year ago, if a 16 year old can get it you can lol

http://idiotsguides.com/static/quic...or_your_saltwater_aquarium_a_photo_guide.html

http://www.azfishkeeping.com/content.php?c_id=67

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

http://www.aquabuys.com/c/nano-reef-aquarium.html

Basically I looked at live aquaria wrote down 5 or so fish I wanted to keep and went from there with my researching some I had to scratch off due to things I've read but everything is hit or miss some is worth a shot some seems to not be worth a shot, for example pulsing xenia everything I read tells me it's super easy grows like a weed and I've never had success with it sadly beautiful coral I could watch for hours.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4R4i7tRj6_Lv2paAlhfjqQ
Here is a link to my YouTube channel if you wanna chef out my set up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back