OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the LFS I used to visit. They told me a fish that max's out at around 2ft would live long term in my 5 gal. Jerks.
Good thinking ahead! You may have saved a fishes life :)
Ah right. I was wondering where the frogspawn was. On my phone it doesn't look like a frogspawn lol.

What that's crazy hah! Yeah I really wanted them to be able to live together without the fighting. I left my tank for a week and a half got back everything fine and more heads on one of the zoas and the candy cane is near becoming another button. I'm going to head down to my coral store tomorrow and probably checkout a torch or maybe a mushroom anemone or something!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qh2214 a good reference for fish info is live aquaria, I'll send you some links I've kept since I started over a year ago, if a 16 year old can get it you can lol

http://idiotsguides.com/static/quic...or_your_saltwater_aquarium_a_photo_guide.html

http://www.azfishkeeping.com/content.php?c_id=67

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

http://www.aquabuys.com/c/nano-reef-aquarium.html

Basically I looked at live aquaria wrote down 5 or so fish I wanted to keep and went from there with my researching some I had to scratch off due to things I've read but everything is hit or miss some is worth a shot some seems to not be worth a shot, for example pulsing xenia everything I read tells me it's super easy grows like a weed and I've never had success with it sadly beautiful coral I could watch for hours.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4R4i7tRj6_Lv2paAlhfjqQ
Here is a link to my YouTube channel if you wanna chef out my set up.

Awesome I really appreciate it! Had no idea that clowns can host in pulsing Xenia that's awesome I'm going to look into that!

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I really appreciate it! Had no idea that clowns can host in pulsing Xenia that's awesome I'm going to look into that!

Yea I've learned clowns will host in just about anything mine have chose my clam and every time I put a coral near it the. Knock it over, I'll send some pictures tmw my lights are off.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What that's crazy hah! Yeah I really wanted them to be able to live together without the fighting. I left my tank for a week and a half got back everything fine and more heads on one of the zoas and the candy cane is near becoming another button. I'm going to head down to my coral store tomorrow and probably checkout a torch or maybe a mushroom anemone or something!
Awesome! It's always exciting to see new growth.
Post any pics of the new corals! :p

Yea I've learned clowns will host in just about anything mine have chose my clam and every time I put a coral near it the. Knock it over, I'll send some pictures tmw my lights are off.
I've heard of clowns being hosted in clams before. The clam closed up and trapped the clown inside. The clown obviously died and I'm pretty sure the clam did too. Just something to consider.
They can try to be hosted in just about anything. I've heard of them trying to use a heater as a host, powerheads, even return pump outlets! :)

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! It's always exciting to see new growth.
Post any pics of the new corals! :p

I've heard of clowns being hosted in clams before. The clam closed up and trapped the clown inside. The clown obviously died and I'm pretty sure the clam did too. Just something to consider.
They can try to be hosted in just about anything. I've heard of them trying to use a heater as a host, powerheads, even return pump outlets! :)

Yea I've heard the same stories lol yea just fingers crossed the clam doesn't seem to mind it's a bunk bed for my clowns and blue spotted jawfish

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up on this thread, nice looking tank so far, keep up the awesome job!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417732264.037787.jpg

Idk what happened?! All of a sudden in a matter of like 2-3 days this happened! It's a stringy type of algae I think any advice?? Also didn't get any new corals planning on buying some after the new year and a fish will probably go a little crazy! The candy cane is pretty much two heads now too!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417732430.235466.jpg

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up on this thread, nice looking tank so far, keep up the awesome job!

Thanks really appreciate that! Want to get some good growth! Planning on adding new in the new year!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417732264.037787.jpg

Idk what happened?! All of a sudden in a matter of like 2-3 days this happened! It's a stringy type of algae I think any advice?? Also didn't get any new corals planning on buying some after the new year and a fish will probably go a little crazy! The candy cane is pretty much two heads now too!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417732430.235466.jpg

Is it green hair algae? It's a bit hard to tell in the pics. Could you get a close up?
Algae feeds on excess nutrients like phosphate and nitrate which is usually (but not always) caused by over feeding. What's your feeding schedule like?
Lowering these nutrients will be the best way to clear up the algae. You can try to pull as much out as you can by hand and siphon it out at each water change. You could also get some display macro algae and they will consume a lot of the nutrients the nasty algae wants which will starve the nasty stuff out. Less algae plus less nutrients will lead to the whole lot dying off eventually.
Also, what sort of CUC do you have? :)
Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you decide to add :)

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it just diatoms? I'm not seeing the stringy algae - I just saw this thread and enjoyed your journey :) I could sense your enthusiasm throughout! your tank is looking good and sense just maybe a tad of an addiction forming lol - welcome to the hobby and the forum!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it green hair algae? It's a bit hard to tell in the pics. Could you get a close up?
Algae feeds on excess nutrients like phosphate and nitrate which is usually (but not always) caused by over feeding. What's your feeding schedule like?
Lowering these nutrients will be the best way to clear up the algae. You can try to pull as much out as you can by hand and siphon it out at each water change. You could also get some display macro algae and they will consume a lot of the nutrients the nasty algae wants which will starve the nasty stuff out. Less algae plus less nutrients will lead to the whole lot dying off eventually.
Also, what sort of CUC do you have? :)
Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you decide to add :)

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417747707.490402.jpg

I think it has to do with my automatic feeder and it dispensing too much! So I took it down and am only going to feed every 2 days see how it plays out from there! What's a cuc ?

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it just diatoms? I'm not seeing the stringy algae - I just saw this thread and enjoyed your journey :) I could sense your enthusiasm throughout! your tank is looking good and sense just maybe a tad of an addiction forming lol - welcome to the hobby and the forum!

The spots on the walls off the glass have string on them. Thanks I've been really pumped about the tanks progress! Ya I can feel a bit of an addiction as well! Have a blast doing it though thanks!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has to do with my automatic feeder and it dispensing too much! So I took it down and am only going to feed every 2 days see how it plays out from there! What's a cuc ?
That may be the issue :) I assume your feeding flake food? They can sometimes contain phosphates as a preservative.
A CUC is your clean up crew. That's all the little guys who eat uneaten fish food, fish poo, algae and stuff like that. Essentially the behind the scenes guys. Most people have snails and hermits in theirs, but you can also have shrimp, starfish and some types of crabs as well as a bunch of other stuff.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be the issue :) I assume your feeding flake food? They can sometimes contain phosphates as a preservative.
A CUC is your clean up crew. That's all the little guys who eat uneaten fish food, fish poo, algae and stuff like that. Essentially the behind the scenes guys. Most people have snails and hermits in theirs, but you can also have shrimp, starfish and some types of crabs as well as a bunch of other stuff.

No I'm actually feeding hikari marine S pellets! I switched over from flakes about 2 weeks ago. Ohhhhh gotchya I've got 3 snails and 2 hermits! Should I add more? Was thinking about the spike ball guys?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm actually feeding hikari marine S pellets! I switched over from flakes about 2 weeks ago. Ohhhhh gotchya I've got 3 snails and 2 hermits! Should I add more? Was thinking about the spike ball guys?

It's a 20 gal isn't it? My memory isn't what it used to be lol.
If so, I personally would add more, but if your happy with what you have then that's ok :) Do you know what kind of snails they are?
The spike ball guys are sea urchins. They typically need a more mature tank with a lot of coralline algae as well as green stuff. I would hold off on one for a few months.

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently recommended to my cousin to add a tuxedo urchin, it has been mauling all of his algae, downside is they pick up frags so you'll have to look into gluing zoas and things. To keep your sand clean I'd recommend 3 nassarious snails they can actually breed in the aquarium and you shouldn't run out of them (although I've seen my crabs fight them for their shells).

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 20 gal isn't it? My memory isn't what it used to be lol.
If so, I personally would add more, but if your happy with what you have then that's ok :) Do you know what kind of snails they are?
The spike ball guys are sea urchins. They typically need a more mature tank with a lot of coralline algae as well as green stuff. I would hold off on one for a few months.

Ya a 20 long! The hermits are blue and Im not sure the type of 3 snails. Gotcha I'll probably hold off on that then! I'll probably get a couple more snails and hermits then!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently recommended to my cousin to add a tuxedo urchin, it has been mauling all of his algae, downside is they pick up frags so you'll have to look into gluing zoas and things. To keep your sand clean I'd recommend 3 nassarious snails they can actually breed in the aquarium and you shouldn't run out of them (although I've seen my crabs fight them for their shells).

I'm not experience on removing the zoas and corals from the frag! I'd be worrying of messing it up or something! I'll look into those snails for sure!

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not experience on removing the zoas and corals from the frag! I'd be worrying of messing it up or something! I'll look into those snails for sure!

No you can just glue the frag plug, zoas will grow over it then won't even be visible, they're great for green hair algae if you ever come across it.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you can just glue the frag plug, zoas will grow over it then won't even be visible, they're great for green hair algae if you ever come across it.

Oh awesome I always have all mine glued down!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back