Beginning my First SaltWater tank this Week!

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Very nice to meet you, and thanks in advance for the tips! I did a lot of reading & a lot of watching & a lot of question asking - and turns out there's a ton of contradicting information. I figure I would just lay out my specifics & seek guidance from the awesome community here!

So I'm beginning a 55g tank this week, and got pretty much the essentials on order. My main questions are regarding curing/cycling (and possibly cooking?)

I ordered 35lb Dry 'live' rock from BRS (reef saver), 60lb Hawaiian black caribsea 'arag-alive' sand, and 10lb marine blue gravel (thought black & blue might look nice, big difference in size I realized though)

I'm in no hurry for live-stock (and not planning coral/reef anytime soon), and just want to make sure to get it right from the get-go. So... here are the questions (in no specific order)
Don't feel you have to answer all of them! I have a lot to ask!!
---
1) Is it better to cure the rocks & cycle the tank @ the same time? Or should I have the rocks in their own container while curing?

2) If curing/cycling @ the same time in the tank, should I also add in my 'live' sand & fully set everything up? Then complete a full water change prior to prepping for live-stock. Do I need to fully empty the sand prior to refilling the tank?

3) How often should I do water changes if doing both cure/cycle @ once? How much water to change? If done in separate containers, how much water to change & how often? Does the water need to be salt-water if curing in separate buckets?

4) My plan is to seed the dry rock (since I love starting everything from scratch & watching it develop). When should I add in a small amount of wet live rock from the LFS to begin seeding? After the curing/ after the cycle / or after both?

5) How much wet live rock is required to seed? My thoughts were maybe a small rock or 2? Or should I not seed at all - in fear of introducing hitchhikers, and use another method instead?

6) Are there other methods I should introduce to aid in developing the rocks to become alive? Some people suggested snails, pods, or even a dead uncooked cocktail shrimp?

--

I think those are the main questions I have regarding initial set up. Crazy how much goes into this BEFORE even considering adding fish! I saw there are many products out there that can help you toss in fish ASAP - but I'd rather do it right, rather than introduce a chemical/product that will 'act' as live rock does. Thoughts?

Thanks again for everything guys, really looking forward to this hobby!!
Cheers
Matt

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eeek, sorry forgot 1 that came up:
#7) I saw some people with issues regarding phosphate with this rock. Is that something that would go away in time or possibly with the 100% water change? Or do I need to take some type of measure/precaution to avoid this?

Thanks!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good to know! I figured there shouldn't be too big an issue curing & cycling @ the same time, especially with no fish in there.
A rep @ BRS suggested to avoid tossing in a wet live rock until the curing of the reef saver is done - since it could introduce bacteria I'm trying to get rid of on the RS.

I thought it would be ok to cure wet & live together, which I thought would sooner begin the seeding process, but what do I know!

I guess it'll give the RS more time to gain that film they were talking about.

Dapperjman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have reefsaver rock, but I just used pure Ammonia to start the cycle in my tank after i got my dry rock aquascaped and sand in. I'm sure it cycles faster with some live rock and you also get faster coralline algae growth, but I didn't want any hitchhikers or ich being introduced.

Also, my rock was leaching some phosphates so I did let it sit in heated saltwater a few months prior to putting in the tank. I needed time to finish up my stand and plumbing anyway.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have reefsaver rock, but I just used pure Ammonia to start the cycle in my tank after i got my dry rock aquascaped and sand in. I'm sure it cycles faster with some live rock and you also get faster coralline algae growth, but I didn't want any hitchhikers or ich being introduced.

Also, my rock was leaching some phosphates so I did let it sit in heated saltwater a few months prior to putting in the tank. I needed time to finish up my stand and plumbing anyway.
Got it. So looks like you did 'cure' your rocks separate from cycling the tank. I don't mind either method, just didn't know if one is preferred over the other

Dapperjman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. So looks like you did 'cure' your rocks separate from cycling the tank. I don't mind either method, just didn't know if one is preferred over the other
Well to be honest, they didn't have much on them. I was just trying to cycle the rock in a bin first so it would be a quick cycle once it was ready to go in the tank; however, I let it dry out while finishing up some other things [emoji53] When i hear the word curing, I typically think of purging the rock of dead organic matter. I think either way would work though! [emoji3]

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to be honest, they didn't have much on them. I was just trying to cycle the rock in a bin first so it would be a quick cycle once it was ready to go in the tank; however, I let it dry out while finishing up some other things
emoji53.png
When i hear the word curing, I typically think of purging the rock of dead organic matter. I think either way would work though!
emoji3.png
Got it! I think I may be confusing the word with 'cooking' then.
I doubt there will be much to be cured on these rocks, since they don't come from the ocean - but I guess cooking adds that bio-film & reduce algae?

So in theory, they would be curing, cooking, & cycling @ the same time if done all in the tank? I guess lights off & a blanket over should help keep it in shade

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys - really hope I'm not spamming here.
So I think I'll be doing everything all at once, and my newest question is:

- Should I add in instant ocean bio-spira & dr tims ammonium chloride during this cycle/curing process?

Dapperjman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys - really hope I'm not spamming here.
So I think I'll be doing everything all at once, and my newest question is:

- Should I add in instant ocean bio-spira & dr tims ammonium chloride during this cycle/curing process?
Hopefully you get a few more opinions than mine, but I've personally used both and I would recommend them!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you get a few more opinions than mine, but I've personally used both and I would recommend them!
Thanks mate! You been really helpful. Looking forward to answers to some of the other questions guys. Thanks!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Bio-spira works great. Nevertheless, it will still take nearly a year for your tank to mature, i.e. grow coralline, have dinos and algae spring up and die back, etc. Patience!

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cycle and cure everything at once. Any issues you have can be dealt with all at once. Slow and steady wins in reefing. Good luck and welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! Glad I found an awesome community!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back