Beginning of my Mixed Reef Waterbox 20 build

JDEMCRX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone

I wanted to take the time to introduce myself. My name is Emery I've been in the hobby on and off for about 17 years. Never really anything crazy corals and dosing wise so this is going to be a learning process for me.

Current Specs:

Waterbox 20
DIY tank stand
Lighting: AI Prime 16HD (may upgrade to Radion XR15)
IM Auqashield UV sterilizer (unsure of when I will attempt to use)
14-15 Lbs of Dry Rock
20 lbs of Bahamas oolite

Current goal is to have a mixed reef with majority Softies, LPS, and very few SPS.
Fishes being a pair of clownfish, 1 goby, 1 shrimp.

Thank you for taking the time to view this thread. Have a nice Day

IMG_9455.jpg IMG_9456.jpg

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what light settings are you using for the AI Prime? Be careful not to run anything too hot or the lens could melt on you

OP
OP
JDEMCRX

JDEMCRX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what light settings are you using for the AI Prime? Be careful not to run anything too hot or the lens could melt on you
UV 119 %
Violet 116 %
RB 118 %
blue 112 %
green 3 %
red 3 %
white 10 %

currently

OP
OP
JDEMCRX

JDEMCRX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of overdid it with how quickly I stocked the tank

Attachments

• IMG_9631.jpg
    IMG_9631.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
JDEMCRX

JDEMCRX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to remain as organized as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_9633.jpg
    IMG_9633.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 32

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV 119 %
Violet 116 %
RB 118 %
blue 112 %
green 3 %
red 3 %
white 10 %

currently
Oh god - I highly suggest you lower UV, Violet, RB and Blue down to like 75-80 each.

I know they say Prime can handle the overdrive on the lights, and it can, but it gets HOT. High likely hood the lens will melt. It's not the biggest deal if it does, they sell replacement lenses, but still. It should not be getting that hot. Make sure you clean the fan regularly too - the screen can get clogged pretty quickly/easily.

OP
OP
JDEMCRX

JDEMCRX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god - I highly suggest you lower UV, Violet, RB and Blue down to like 75-80 each.

I know they say Prime can handle the overdrive on the lights, and it can, but it gets HOT. High likely hood the lens will melt. It's not the biggest deal if it does, they sell replacement lenses, but still. It should not be getting that hot. Make sure you clean the fan regularly too - the screen can get clogged pretty quickly/easily.
just lowered them a bit, I will probably drop them over a couple of days. I definitely need to get my hands on a par meter soon. do you have Any % recommendations for lps/sps tank? SPS only being placed towards the top about 7 inches from water surface.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a specific recommendation as I haven't used one on a tank that size before - but with it being smaller you shouldn't have to overload the light too much and should get good results from most corals.

If you did UV, V, B & RB all between 70-80 you should be covered. You can ramp some a little higher to get the look you like, but again you could get into some melting issues. I just wouldn't put anything above 85 or 90.

R and G @ 3% is fine. White @ 10 is good too. You can dial white up a little bit if you want, but not necessary.

OP
OP
JDEMCRX

JDEMCRX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a specific recommendation as I haven't used one on a tank that size before - but with it being smaller you shouldn't have to overload the light too much and should get good results from most corals.

If you did UV, V, B & RB all between 70-80 you should be covered. You can ramp some a little higher to get the look you like, but again you could get into some melting issues. I just wouldn't put anything above 85 or 90.

R and G @ 3% is fine. White @ 10 is good too. You can dial white up a little bit if you want, but not necessary.
Thank you for taking the time to give me some pointers, its much appreciated.

OP
OP
JDEMCRX

JDEMCRX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current settings

UV 105 %
Violet 102 %
RB 110 %
blue 110 %
green 3 %
red 3 %
white 10 %

Going to dial them down slightly day by day .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back