Beginnings of this brown slimy stuff Could really use some insight !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's a slimmer? I don't know for sure. LOL As for cuc,I have 2 urchins & a "bunch" of snails . Will go real slow with the gfo Start with 1/2 maybe. Need to do more research. Thanks for the replies !

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok So I agree with doing things naturally, I could very well be over reacting to this With the additives .

Yeah, you're definitely going overboard with the additives. If the biopellets caused it last time, then cut out the biopellets now. They don't work in every situation, for every tank. Sometimes making things much worse.

I would stop the extra additives, let your tank balance out with just normal maintenance (water changes, changing filter socks or floss, ect...) and see where you end up in a few months. Then, if things are getting too out of whack, which they shouldn't be, address what is causing that problem, and THAT PROBLEM ALONE..

Because throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks is a terrible approach. If you must use something, use ROX Carbon.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Just a little” and “a bunch”.

Thanks for giving us information “by the pinch”. ;) ;)

Can you post some test results and give us an idea as to the actual make up of your snail crew? Do they seem to be eating the algae at all?

Can you post a pic of your algae? Maybe even look at it under a scope? Lots of things can look like “hair algae”.

Thanks!! :)

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure Miss carol. I have around 15 various snails. they are steady grazing around the tank. What type I'm not sure. I also have a LawnMower Blenny in there. However I believe it has taken a liking to my flesh. Little twerp ! This pip squeak really needs to grow some teeth before he try,s to task a shot at me ! HPIM8873.JPG

that was 15 various snails not nasarious snails. I dosed enough Po4 to register 0.1, no3 at 2. then stopped for almost 2 weeks & wham Ha garden. I can easily give you more levels if You want.
" Forsaken"I wasn't using biopellets on this tank . I have the reactor on the shelf if I want to use it.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's dated a couple-few weeks ago, but it must be pretty similar now.

So if you have a good assortment of snails and they're eating it, then this looks like a patience game – nothing to see, move along. ;)

Just wait. :)

This stage is both desired and expected after a "low nutrient spell" like that.

Should mean that you're in the clear.....just NEVER go back to "low nutrient land".

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Miss Carol. I'm not sure why but the date is incorrect . I took this pic on Monday right after You asked for one. After some thought I haven't done anything for now , just a cup of carbon in a bag. I'm waiting to see what happens. Anyway the brown stuff is gone so I mellowed . LOL and I certainly will take your advice ! I really want a couple more fish.However I'm real picky. Most likely get more snails too .

littleruttiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been paying careful attention to nutrient levels (having had dinos over the summer), but got a little lazy; about a month ago I noticed some brown slime forming. I tested nitrates, they had bottomed out to 0.
I don't have a ton of experience, but when I saw the brown slime I thought, crap, better check the nitrates/phosphates.
I've since raised them, the slime has dissipated (with some siphoning), now there's cyano that's becoming prominent.
I know the dinos are still there, the slime algae is still there, the cyano was always there, etc. I've started keeping a journal so I can track these cycles. It's a matter of keeping the conditions where no one of them can take off.
mcarroll's dino thread opened my eyes here, when I started I tried to keep everything 0, now I try to keep readable levels

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HPIM8882.JPG Thanks for the reply littleutiger. I have had similar issues as well . Finding the sweet spot is the illusive answer ! Feel free to ask a query or 2.
I'll be back later with some pics of snail types & algae
OK, I have a pic of 2 types of snails I have
HPIM8884.JPG The long stringy algae is a new addition !OH Boy

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normally fuzzy and the "spaghetti-like look" of it in the pic is just because it's out of water?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, mccaroll It's all long like that. it was growing in the sand bed with roots of a sort. I was able to easily remove all that I could see. It had a rather large root base compared to what was showing. As for the white cone shaped snails Astrea I think. I have a bunch ,around 20 now. but they aren't on the rocks munching algae,they hang out on the glass.I saw like 3 or 4 on the rocks eating the green stuff. I also have a few ceriths& nerites, I must do a water change, however every time I turn around something has come up.Important stuff like my butt got stuck in the hospital for 5 days. I'm catching up though ! I will win this algea war & learn so much . I'd be real happy if somebody would suggest some snails or fish anything that would do the job thanks .

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have astraeas and ceriths that clean rocks. But they like the glass too. I think they like to go back and forth for extended periods of time. If I keep my glass clean, then they stay on the rocks longer. I recently got some orange chestnut snails to help clean the glass for me. They are struggling to acclimate for now. Sounds like you have the right snails. Are you keeping the glass clean to force them to look for food on the rocks?

I have three different cerith types now. Two of which seem to clean the sand more than the other one. But my hair algae is growing in the sand bed too along with what I think is a white fungus of some type. So them cleaning all the ugly benthic stuff is alright with me. Maybe all the sand churning will help prevent it from solidifying too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ninja star snails. Hardest workers in our tank. You can buy some at KP Aquatics. ( Yes I know the formal name, but that's how they are listed)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are cool snails – a type of Astrea with a fancy shell as far as I know. Astreas are definitely hard workers, so it's possible!! :) :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cracker That's doesn't sound like a lot of snails for a 75G with lots of algae growing.

I wouldn't do it all at once, but given conditions (some ARE eating it) I'd feel comfortable doubling or even tripling your CUC from present numbers. Depending how pressed you're feeling (based on tank conditions...you're there, we're not), I'd increase it by 4-5 snails every month or so until you see a difference. If you're pressed, then I don't think adding snails in 10's would hurt, but I'd be firm about waiting at least a few weeks before adding more.

Drop 1-2 Turbos into the mix for sure....bigger may be better in this case.

When food becomes a little more scarce herbivores generally become less selective about the algae they eat and more tolerant of unpalatable algae.

FYI if there's any toxins or unpalatable algae going on to deter them from eating, then they will need a pretty fair amount of protein (detritus!) in their diet to deal with it and to keep them eating. (Detritus-eating may be what they're doing when they don't appear to be eating algae.)

So make sure you're feeding the fish well and consistently. (Not over feeding.)

Do you have any herbivore fishes in your mix presently? It would be ideal if you had room for one, although you'd need a plan for him after he gets too big for the tank. I'd go with a bristletooth, personally. If you want something you can comfortably keep in your 75G long-term then we might have to do some more thinking....what fish are in the tank presently?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only 2 fish a tiny basslet and a hand eating(my hand) lawnmower. I can easily add a bristle tooth of some type. However I'm not a fan of tangs . I have been adding 5 snails every week or so.This gives me an opportunity to look for a decent fish I'm shopping for the 180 and this 75 . So more snails. I will get neriths this time & a couple of turbos Thanks !

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably with you on tangs, generally speaking – look at this more like hiring an employee. :) There is a job to be done, and you're not particularly well suited to do it. ;)

A kole or tomini would be my first two choices for tangs. Especially since you can upgrade them to the 180 when the time comes.....they'd be an easy sale too if you wanted to pass them on. A rabbitfish would be fine too, but be aware of those spines – they are venomous!

A red-lipped blenny is the nastiest fish I've personally been around....a large powerful mouth built for...making you bleed! ;Blackeye;Nurse

Larger blennies like these are definitely feisty! The reef is a tough place...they have to compete with tough parrotfish and gigantic mobs of tangs.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I think about it, a tang might be a problem, I have a very pretty, little Swiss guard basslet. The fish is real shy& pricey also. I'm afraid a big active fish would scare it into hiding and not eat well. Now a Blue hippo I might compromise with as I really want one for the 180. Tomorrow I will go to the lfs and purchase some nerites & a couple of Turbos. I really appreciate You taking Your time to help me. I was at a point where I didn't know which way to turn I now have a plan and will learn & gain experience.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid a big active fish would scare it into hiding and not eat well. Now a Blue hippo I might compromise with as I really want one for the 180.

Hm....

Can you tell me what else is in that tank so far?

Bristletooths have to be the most ideal tangs for a home tank – small, mellow, individualistic vs schooling, detritavores (less-selective). Seems like it should be one of the more-ideal choices.

Hippo has to be the worst for a home tank...although the 180 is a decent size for it. Hippo's are one of the most whacked-out fish you can put in a tank.....Dory's character is about spot-on. :D (I like them, but I'm also honest....they end up being problems for many of their owners.)

I think the big herbivores are tangs, parrotfishes (no) and rabbitfishes. Blennies fall somewhere after that, probably depending on locale. Looking past fish, there are urchins. Anything in the way of a rabbit, blenny or urchin sound like a better bet?

I don't know as much about the smaller blennies, but it seems like they'd be more ideal personalities, but too small to really do the job. I'm not sure how aggressive any of them are at algae eating either.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back