Being bored out of my mind still have green hair algae

Gharris527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good length of time to run a protein slimmer and if I need to do a tank blackout with the lights off

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run my skimmer 24/7. I personally would not do a blackout if this tank has coral. what are your nitrates, phosphates, how many fish and types of fish. Do you run a bluer spectrum of light?

OP
OP
Gharris527

Gharris527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light is 50 blue and 35 white I have a fire fish 4 clownfish 2 green chromis 2 tangs

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to continually ran skimmer.

Hard to give algae advice without knowing more about your system, but typically there's a root cause in excess nutrients, whether it's from overstocking, inadequate nutrient export, overfeeding, etc. Going through that would be a good start.

There's also products like vibrant, which I've personally had great success with in eradicating bubble and other pest algaes with, and kept them gone.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a little while but it does some serious work. Just make sure not to go overboard lol
+1. I got a bad case of bubble algae and combating with UV and Emerald crab, as well as Vibrant. I noticed the tank water a lot cleaner with Vibrant as the excess nutrients were consumed.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our worse case of GHA is my wifes 32 biocube. The stock light on that seems to love to grow it, and she loves to feed the Basslets and Wrasse's she has in there. Added a refugium to the back of it a month or so ago via InTank racks, and moved a lawnmower blenny I had in a 29g coral growout tank over to her tank (probably will never get him out of there).
Started Vibrant in that tank last night actually. We'll see how it progresses.
Also started Vibrant on my 90g Anemone/SPS tank where I've started to see some 'popups' of GHA as it matures.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got some hair algae on our back glass but not anywhere else. Ordered some new turbo snails and such to hopefully mow it down. Nitrates are a little high so I've done a couple partial water changes. Also trying out vibrant (if I can actually remember to dose it on the required days).

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our worse case of GHA is my wifes 32 biocube. The stock light on that seems to love to grow it, and she loves to feed the Basslets and Wrasse's she has in there. Added a refugium to the back of it a month or so ago via InTank racks, and moved a lawnmower blenny I had in a 29g coral growout tank over to her tank (probably will never get him out of there).
Started Vibrant in that tank last night actually. We'll see how it progresses.
Also started Vibrant on my 90g Anemone/SPS tank where I've started to see some 'popups' of GHA as it matures.

To follow up on this...
Combination of Lawnmower Blenny, Vibrant and systematically Brushing away as much as I can with an old toothbrush has made a huge difference in the Biocube 32. There's still some in there, but it's maybe a third of what it was.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back