Bellus Angel issues. Uronema or swim bladder?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That head up, fast sculling motion almost makes it seem that the bellus is now negatively buoyant.

Ugh - I saw a rock beauty angel. When I worked for the Shedd Aquarium, we stopped collecting those because their one year + survivorship was so poor. They look good, eat well, and then just don't do well. I did have one that lived over 4 years though.

Jay

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That head up, fast sculling motion almost makes it seem that the bellus is now negatively buoyant.

Ugh - I saw a rock beauty angel. When I worked for the Shedd Aquarium, we stopped collecting those because their one year + survivorship was so poor. They look good, eat well, and then just don't do well. I did have one that lived over 4 years though.

Jay
What’s the solution for a negatively buoyant fish?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefaholic

The fish is ALIVE! It looks MUCH better from last night.

It ate some blackworms too. I am already starting to dose copper. I’m going to get it to 2.5ppm within a few hours.
Miracle! Nice…yes, just get him in therapeutic copper and maybe he’ll pull through. Transfer in 3 days a do a 5 min FW dip or 30 min H2O2 bath before he goes back into new tank dosed with therapeutic copper power. If he gets really bad again, transfer in 24 hrs to reduce the numbers.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the issue is a swim bladder disease - not parasitic.

Did you see the video I posted of the fish swimming? It’s almost certainly a swim bladder issue, and I don’t know what to do!

Yes, the fish is eating, but I don’t know. It seems like the person who caught this fish didn’t acclimate it from the deep waters where it was found. Now it might die from losing energy to stay buoyant.
Yeah I saw the video I thought you said there were parasites.

if it’s a swim bladder issue you’ll have to vent it.

I’d still prophylactically treat though.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. Fish is swimming much better. It has phases where it glides like a normal fish, then simultaneously flaps both fins, then acts normal.

Very interesting. Anyway, there is a drastic improvement from yesterday, and the fish is eating well. So we’ll see. I’ll keep you guys posted.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw the video I thought you said there were parasites.

if it’s a swim bladder issue you’ll have to vent it.

I’d still prophylactically treat though.
There was one parasite. I am treating for the parasites, but my main concern was the swimming issue.

I don’t see any visible bubble, so I cannot vent anything. Seems like the issue will resolve on its own?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It looked like uronema because it was fast like a race car, but i will admit my experience with microscoping parasites is VERY short and limited.

The angel is swimming much better than before. However, it appears like it’s (paddling?) with both fins simultaneously. Besides for that, the fish is eating and breathing well. Fish is not below water surface, and not breathing dry air. Looks like a completely normal fish.
Uronema is the oppsite- slow and does NOT require a host to survive. It can actually can survive off bacteria, dead tissue and mainly detritus in which going fallow will not eradicate it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There was one parasite. I am treating for the parasites, but my main concern was the swimming issue.

I don’t see any visible bubble, so I cannot vent anything. Seems like the issue will resolve on its own?
I always preach Good diet and water quality is essential .

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If there’s not a noticeable bulge then I wouldn’t try to do the procedure

fisheriesdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think throwing more stressful chemicals at it would help.

If this they will float, or have a hard time swimming back down correct? Whenever I've caught deep sea fish it was either squeeze their air bladder, or poke a hole in it. Usually anything over 40 ft deep if came to surface too fast. Odd things would happen weeks later. What kind of issues?
Purely speculation, but I think the delayed response could be bacterial infections from relieving the swim bladder. That’s the reason that barotrauma relief has shifted from puncture to recompression for game-fish fisheries. I’ve seen some studies indicating that barotrauma related mortality can occur 30 days post capture.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. Fish is doing great! It’s in the DT and swimming completely normal. I really believed this fish wouldn’t make it, but I’m glad I was wrong.

CB3DD024-D47E-4F22-8F19-8F46D95E2858.jpeg
AEA59823-54C8-4EAE-8B9D-2A4B96FC3995.jpeg
D9C547C8-1815-4587-A792-5EC7A4594F12.jpeg
3AAFCC6F-6F23-49D8-9B9C-0F757CD45184.jpeg

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Agree Jay, RB best left in the ocean as even 4 yrs, while good vs other results, is hardly enough to claim victory. They are notorious for hunger strikes for no apparent reason and just withering away over time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back