Bellus swimming oddly. What could it be?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of Genicanthus bellus (bonded male and female). Came from a QT vendor who had them for a few months. They arrived yesterday and appeared to be in good condition. Both male and female exploring tank quickly after release and eating like champs.

However the female has been swimming oddly basically since moment one. She swims a bit herky-jerky, typically facing upward, almost as if she’s fighting to “stay up”. Video below

She is active and eats well at every feeding.

Any ideas on what could be happening here? Anything I can do to help her out? Thanks R2R community!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s negative buoyancy. Freshly shipped Genicanthus angels often exhibit positive buoyancy from an overinflated swim bladder due to low pressure during flights (or possibly swallowing air).
Im not sure what would have caused negative buoyancy like this - sorry!
Often, these issues with the swim bladder get better with time. There typically is no infectious agent, so not treatable with medication.
Jay

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s negative buoyancy. Freshly shipped Genicanthus angels often exhibit positive buoyancy from an overinflated swim bladder due to low pressure during flights (or possibly swallowing air).
Im not sure what would have caused negative buoyancy like this - sorry!
Often, these issues with the swim bladder get better with time. There typically is no infectious agent, so not treatable with medication.
Jay
Thanks @Jay Hemdal! So basically, as long as she’s getting around and eating well, just let her be. Maybe it will resolve on its own

I appreciate your quick response!

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a japanese swallowtail which has the same body shape, they definitely swim differently than other fish. I've had it for several months and it always seems to swim with a bit of upward or downward angle. Mine is no where near as pronounced as yours though.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a japanese swallowtail which has the same body shape, they definitely swim differently than other fish. I've had it for several months and it always seems to swim with a bit of upward or downward angle. Mine is no where near as pronounced as yours though.
Thanks David. It’s my first Genicanthus so that’s helpful to hear.

FWIW, the male’s swimming motions is very similar to my Anthias, so very different than the female Bellus.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, from the vendor I got the fish from:

“Hey Josh! They are a deepwater species and so we see this quite often following the introduction into new tanks along with the pressure change when they’re in planes can mess with their balance for a while, different salinities can also cause also mess with their buoyancy until they adjust but it’s not something you will have to be concerned about. This can take as little as a few days to many weeks for them to reach equilibrium but it should not affect her ability to eat or get around until then :). “

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bellus had a very rough time in QT. It switched between negative and positive buoyant and there were times it laid on the bottom where I was sure it would die.

Ultimately, the bellus angel survived and is still with me today one year later. I have a thread I made with videos I’ll find for you.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bellus had a very rough time in QT. It switched between negative and positive buoyant and there were times it laid on the bottom where I was sure it would die.

Ultimately, the bellus angel survived and is still with me today one year later. I have a thread I made with videos I’ll find for you.
Thanks for sharing that. Just adds to my sense of hope that my girl will be ok in the long run

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, from the vendor I got the fish from:

“Hey Josh! They are a deepwater species and so we see this quite often following the introduction into new tanks along with the pressure change when they’re in planes can mess with their balance for a while, different salinities can also cause also mess with their buoyancy until they adjust but it’s not something you will have to be concerned about. This can take as little as a few days to many weeks for them to reach equilibrium but it should not affect her ability to eat or get around until then :). “

That's true, but in every case I've ever dealt with in this genus, the issue was positive buoyancy, not negative. The only way I can reconcile negative floatation would be if the swim bladder expanded so much that it then ruptured.

Jay

Back