BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have what do you need

At the moment, Hanna salinity checker, and the dip strips the weekend manager at the reef gave me. So everything else lol. Didn’t really worry about parameters once my 40b was cycled as it’s been fish only for a year and a half.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another small update.

did a thing today (I’ll ad pics later). I now own a 54g tank and another stand for a 40b (same footprint). I also got a small power head and a small ac pump. Power head for mixing saltwater. Pump for water changes.

this way if, for some reason, the sump
@F i s h y is grabbing for me from @fishguy242 doesnt fit in my stand, I have a 40b for a sump and the 53g for a spacious qt tank. Or Vice versa. And eventually I’ll let the kiddo use one of the tanks for her goldfish.

(or I’ll have myself another tank for a predator tank or maybe a macro tank...ya’ll are a bad influence hahaha)

Edit: for now I plan on setting up the 53g and bringing over the hob filter and all of my biomedia (and qt decorations) from the 40b. This should provide enough bacteria for the tank to be “cycled” right away. Then it’ll be moving the clowns and my little foxface over to the new tank. After that I’ll drain the 40b and move it and it’s stand to the new house.

Once my 120 is set up and cycled I’ll decide what I want to do with the 53g

as of now, all that remains missing for my dt is:

-getting my RoDI up and running.
-acquiring plumbing pieces. And plumbing the tank
-acquiring a brute for water mixing
-getting some gfci wall adaptors
-getting my aquascape sorted
-moving the rest of my stuff over the the new house (both returns, skimmer, lights, sand, and my other gyre)
-oh and getting my testing kit situation sorted. Figure I can do that a little more slowly as I’m planning on letting my tank cycle at least a month.
-at some point getting some maricultured rock and adding it to the system

Probably seems like a lot, but to me, after the past two years, this is the final stretch. I’m so close I can smell the saltwater lol
Yeah buddy!! That to do list can be a Done list faster than you know!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah buddy!! That to do list can be a Done list faster than you know!

That’s why I’m so pumped. At this point it’s just getting a few more little things. Everything else I can do while my tank cycles (hanging lights, getting my RoDI permanently situated, etc)

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a new development. I’ve given the 53g and stand to the kiddo. Why? Part peace offering with the missus (she has okayed me getting another for me) also the kid wants to go saltwater and try coral. So I’ll help her with this and may sneakily grow out some coral in it.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I have a hanna alk tester, hanna phosphate, and hanna copper tester if you are interested.

Also have some salifert test kits and a red sea master kit. Welcome to any that you want.

Oh wow. I’ll take all of them if you don’t mind! I didn’t get a notification for these posts. Hilarious since this is my own build.

Edit: I’d specifically love to snag the hannas. If you have spare salifert for nitrate, Ca, and Mg I’ll happily take them as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question time. It occurs to me that I’ve seen that if a tank is being cycled, you can put maricultured rock in without curing it before hand.

does that mean just throw it in at the beginning?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no,with skimmer a few lbs at a time would be ok, but no maricultured rock is uncured.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no,with skimmer a few lbs at a time would be ok, but no maricultured rock is uncured.

perfect. I only want a few lbs to seed my system. Say I get 10lbs Break that amount up into two additions spaced out or would it be okay to add all 10 at once?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10 # in 120 minimal scape may cause ammo spikes, 5 maybe not.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have all this :) or take what you want. I have no need for it I have all of what I need :)
20210509_223635.jpg
20210509_223638.jpg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, It’s really setting in. Dropped the key to my old place off at the reef. Got to speak with my buddy Sam the weekend manager. He made me realize I’m a lot better off than most first time tank owners as I’ve done a ton of research during this two going on three year process. And on top of that I’ve taken my time and gotten good solid gear.

heck, I never thought about it, and I’m terrible with receiving praise but he might just be right. I understand cycling. I understand (to an extent) the relationship ship between alk, Ca, and Mg. I understand the need for flow and lighting. Etc etc

Back