BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little bit of an update after this great day.

First, I finally managed to find the other really well known and popular LFS in the Indianapolis area: Modern Aquatix. Really nice little shop. Amazing coral selection at really good prices as well as a good variety of fish considering the size of the system. Oh, and it’s 8 minutes from one of my two clients. Soo my wallet will inevitably be angry at me lol

In other news, shoutout to @F i s h y for having me over and showing me your systems. Definitely did get some ideas from the tour on the drive home. Also super excited for those corals you mentioned. Especially the old school candy cane.

Looks like the glue for my aqua scape got here today so now I just need to get some sand. I’ll be getting ahold of you in the next few weeks about that scaping help @F i s h y

Edit: to everyone else, Jason’s two systems are gorgeous. The pics in his build thread don’t do them justice. If you ever get the chance, check them out. Well worth the trip
I appreciate the kind words. It was great meeting you and chatting reef. I cant wait to help with your scape in any way you need. And just as soon as you are ready, I definitely have some stuff to start growing on your rocks.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing what you pulled off I’ve got a lot of ideas as far as the scape goes. We’ll have to break up some of the rocks I think, but you clearly know what you’re doing so I’m not worried. I really like how your scape allows lots of flow but also provides hiding spots (looking at your basslet lol). I’ll get a picture of the rock I have now posted tomorrow so you have an idea of what we’ll be working with

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing what you pulled off I’ve got a lot of ideas as far as the scape goes. We’ll have to break up some of the rocks I think, but you clearly know what you’re doing so I’m not worried. I really like how your scape allows lots of flow but also provides hiding spots (looking at your basslet lol). I’ll get a picture of the rock I have now posted tomorrow so you have an idea of what we’ll be working with
Excellent. I have a sledge and chisel. I think rocks in the tennisball size will work best for the size tank and scape you might want... I spent about 8 to 10 hours total on mine scaping, allowing to set, redoing to my liking, up to final project. I found 2 or so hours at a time was my limit. It's def a weekend project.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. I have a sledge and chisel. I think rocks in the tennisball size will work best for the size tank and scape you might want... I spent about 8 to 10 hours total on mine scaping, allowing to set, redoing to my liking, up to final project. I found 2 or so hours at a time was my limit. It's def a weekend project.

Tennis ball you say? Yeah we’ll need the hammer and chisel. I think I have one or two pieces tennis ball sized. Everything else is roughly softball sized up to a small watermelon lol. You’ll see what I mean when I get that picture up.

and yeah I don’t even want to try and complete the scape in less than a weekend. So no worries there. Hopefully once you’ve come and helped me start I’ll have enough of a handle on things to finish it on my own.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2A2F4F2A-ABFC-4ADD-8A4C-A2D1E8D651C0.jpeg

@F i s h y heres what we’ll be working with.

Edit: plus the typical rubble that comes with shipping dry rock

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the perfect size...

2A2F4F2A-ABFC-4ADD-8A4C-A2D1E8D651C0.jpeg

Funnily enough those were the pieces I wished I had more of. At least as far as size is concerned. I think we could probably bust up the bigger pieces for more. But I’ll let you take the lead at first.

I have no idea what I’m doing lol

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funnily enough those were the pieces I wished I had more of. At least as far as size is concerned. I think we could probably busy up the bigger pieces for more. But I’ll let you take the lead at first.

I have no idea what I’m doing lol
Chisel and hammer my guy...

I also have some rock chilling that I'll rinse and make sure is good to go for us to use.

I have sand. Going to need to make sure we have plenty of glue.

:)

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chisel and hammer my guy...

I also have some rock chilling that I'll rinse and make sure is good to go for us to use.

I have sand. Going to need to make sure we have plenty of glue.

:)

this is what I’ve got so far. Think we need more? And man if you throw in any of your rock stash.... I’ll need to find some super rare coral for you lol
FF2E5F30-B98B-462B-815B-E759B01ADD63.jpeg

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I’ve got so far. Think we need more? And man if you throw in any of your rock stash.... I’ll need to find some super rare coral for you lol
FF2E5F30-B98B-462B-815B-E759B01ADD63.jpeg
That should get the job done I would imagine. No worries on the stash ;) that's just good karma sitting there waiting for a chance to be beautiful. :)

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I always end up wanting to do things that are going to add to the wound in my wallet?

I’m pretty sure that I want to make a quasi-floating canopy at some point. Thinking either hang it from the ceiling or having connected to the wall behind via some hinges so it could be lifted up out of the way.

Also, after seeing @F i s h y ’s set up I’m half tempted to run hybrid LED and t5. There is a hybrid fixture provided by noopsyche, but I wish I could retrofit my k7s to an ati or aquatic life so I could have the capacity to dim the t5 and have better ramp up and ramp down.

oh well. Both of the above projects could likely be added later, after I get my tank up and running. The canopy would probably be a bit of a pain, but I can get by with the lights I have for now. So I’ll take my time on the canopy build

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New credit card acquired. Possibly irresponsible to use it for this...but I’ve taken the first step to getting my tank moved.

I’ve decided to go with the maintenance service of one of my LFS for the move since a) I have an oceanic tank and don’t know if I’ll ever get my hands on another and b) it’s going to be a child-born-out-of-wedlock to get it out of my old place. Don’t know if what I need is their “relocation” or “delivery and install” service so I’ve left a message. Either way. It’s gonna happen.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

finally decided to be an adult a couple years ago and brought my credit up a couple hundred points. Finally got a decent card. What could go wrong right?

Reaction GIF

on the real though. The biggest thing holding me back on this build is my DT not being at the new house. I’ve got all the gear I need, everything I need for a starting scape, water production gear, controller, filtration, lights, flow, great return pump and a potentially perfect sump on the way. All that’s needed is plumbing, and basic stuff like mounting lights.

Also found myself a local mentor. So yeah. I’m ready lol

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally decided to be an adult a couple years ago and brought my credit up a couple hundred points. Finally got a decent card. What could go wrong right?

Reaction GIF

on the real though. The biggest thing holding me back on this build is my DT not being at the new house. I’ve got all the gear I need, everything I need for a starting scape, water production gear, controller, filtration, lights, flow, great return pump and a potentially perfect sump on the way. All that’s needed is plumbing, and basic stuff like mounting lights.

Also found myself a local mentor. So yeah. I’m ready lol
LETS GOOO!!!! Happy to see things are falling into place! Soon my friend! SOON!!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back