BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I realized I could keep them alive I wanted more. It’s why I have so many of some things. They survive and thrive I buy more! Minimum of pairs of everything

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only one

Bloidrayne by WWC
PXL_20210507_021403470.MP.jpg
PXL_20210507_021408933.MP.jpg
I keep seeing glimpses of those zoas

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping to have a favia garden in a simile fashion to how most have zoa gardens. Should end up pretty good since there are so many colors and color combos

similar. Not simile. Autocorrect strikes again.

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BeltedCoyote did you see the free 90 go up on indmas today....?

Suspense....

I pick it up tomorrow at 9:30...

That's right, spent this evening moving my nem tank to make room for the 90...

Thinking predator tank... ;)

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BeltedCoyote did you see the free 90 go up on indmas today....?

Suspense....

I pick it up tomorrow at 9:30...

That's right, spent this evening moving my nem tank to make room for the 90...

Thinking predator tank... ;)

I didn’t. Makes me think I should check those forums more often...

where’s the nem tank going? And more importantly, what predators we talking? :cool:

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t. Makes me think I should check those forums more often...

where’s the nem tank going? And more importantly, what predators we talking? :cool:
Moved it to the west wall (opposite side of the room) where the art desk was, shifted the art desk and the 20H down so it would fit. 90 will go where nem tank was.
20210507_235040.jpg
20210507_235048.jpg
Screenshot_20210507-135220_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210507-135233_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let their be reef! You shoulda done a tank move ask on r2r. Nvr know if enough locals will answer your call. We coulda done a shopping spree with that credit. Lol!
Congrats on the progress.
D

if I didn’t have such a heavy tank to move and it didn’t require traversing a muddy hill, and half an acre to do so I would have. That and I have what’s just about an antique tank at this point, which is in great shape and I got for roughly 125$, I would have. But as it’s my first tank, I got the deal of a lifetime, I decided to bite the bullet. But thank you! Trying to decide if I want to be a little more irresponsible and go ahead and buy the plumbing parts so I can get the initial cycle started.

magic 8 ball says it’s likely I will lol

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know if you need an extra pair of hands. Also curious to see how you plan to stock this one
Ever drill a tank? I've done 1. Should be a fun experience. Been 18 years since I have.

Thinking either a community fish only or predators, smaller lionfish, eel, scorpionfish, anglers, something along those lines.

Ultimately I am going to let my fiance pick out the "theme" she loves picking stuff...

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever drill a tank? I've done 1. Should be a fun experience. Been 18 years since I have.

Thinking either a community fish only or predators, smaller lionfish, eel, scorpionfish, anglers, something along those lines.

Ultimately I am going to let my fiance pick out the "theme" she loves picking stuff...

I have not. But I’m a lifelong student lol

id vote dwarf lions and an eel. But it was lions that started this two and a half decade long odyssey so I’m biased.

sounds like a good plan though. And it’ll likely end up being a great tank anyway

Edit: regarding our scape session. Would it help if I tried to sketch out what I’m thinking?

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. But I’m a lifelong student lol

id vote dwarf lions and an eel. But it was lions that started this two and a half decade long odyssey so I’m biased.

sounds like a good plan though. And it’ll likely end up being a great tank anyway

Edit: regarding our scape session. Would it help if I tried to sketch out what I’m thinking?
Sketching is helpful but it's hard to get a good feel for the 3D aspect in a sketch. Unless you are really good... I am not haha. I also found that looking at some examples and then as weird as it sounds letting the rocks guide you works best. The rocks will fit together in a certain way... not always the way we envision.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sketching is helpful but it's hard to get a good feel for the 3D aspect in a sketch. Unless you are really good... I am not haha. I also found that looking at some examples and then as weird as it sounds letting the rocks guide you works best. The rocks will fit together in a certain way... not always the way we envision.

Makes sense to me. Also makes me feel like we’re going to be aquascaping Jedi lol

on a serious note though, sounds like any other creative process. Kinda like when I paint. Letting the medium show you rather than fighting it

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J you've definitely got the mindset of an artist.

Early in my woodworking career I used to make a design then purchase lumber and apply my design to the wood regardless of its natural characteristics. It took a few years before I really started getting into a more Japanese style of woodworking where the process is little different. Rather than applying our designs to the wood, once we let the wood characteristics and features designate the eventual shape and function, is like a new level is unlocked.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another small update.

did a thing today (I’ll ad pics later). I now own a 54g tank and another stand for a 40b (same footprint). I also got a small power head and a small ac pump. Power head for mixing saltwater. Pump for water changes.

this way if, for some reason, the sump
@F i s h y is grabbing for me from @fishguy242 doesnt fit in my stand, I have a 40b for a sump and the 53g for a spacious qt tank. Or Vice versa. And eventually I’ll let the kiddo use one of the tanks for her goldfish.

(or I’ll have myself another tank for a predator tank or maybe a macro tank...ya’ll are a bad influence hahaha)

Edit: for now I plan on setting up the 53g and bringing over the hob filter and all of my biomedia (and qt decorations) from the 40b. This should provide enough bacteria for the tank to be “cycled” right away. Then it’ll be moving the clowns and my little foxface over to the new tank. After that I’ll drain the 40b and move it and it’s stand to the new house.

Once my 120 is set up and cycled I’ll decide what I want to do with the 53g

as of now, all that remains missing for my dt is:

-getting my RoDI up and running.
-acquiring plumbing pieces. And plumbing the tank
-acquiring a brute for water mixing
-getting some gfci wall adaptors
-getting my aquascape sorted
-moving the rest of my stuff over the the new house (both returns, skimmer, lights, sand, and my other gyre)
-oh and getting my testing kit situation sorted. Figure I can do that a little more slowly as I’m planning on letting my tank cycle at least a month.
-at some point getting some maricultured rock and adding it to the system

Probably seems like a lot, but to me, after the past two years, this is the final stretch. I’m so close I can smell the saltwater lol

Last edited:

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another small update.

did a thing today (I’ll ad pics later). I now own a 54g tank and another stand for a 40b (same footprint). I also got a small power head and a small ac pump. Power head for mixing saltwater. Pump for water changes.

this way if, for some reason, the sump
@F i s h y is grabbing for me from @fishguy242 doesnt fit in my stand, I have a 40b for a sump and the 53g for a spacious qt tank. Or Vice versa. And eventually I’ll let the kiddo use one of the tanks for her goldfish.

(or I’ll have myself another tank for a predator tank or maybe a macro tank...ya’ll are a bad influence hahaha)

Edit: for now I plan on setting up the 53g and bringing over the hob filter and all of my biomedia (and qt decorations) from the 40b. This should provide enough bacteria for the tank to be “cycled” right away. Then it’ll be moving the clowns and my little foxface over to the new tank. After that I’ll drain the 40b and move it and it’s stand to the new house.

Once my 120 is set up and cycled I’ll decide what I want to do with the 53g

as of now, all that remains missing for my dt is:

-getting my RoDI up and running.
-acquiring plumbing pieces. And plumbing the tank
-acquiring a brute for water mixing
-getting some gfci wall adaptors
-getting my aquascape sorted
-moving the rest of my stuff over the the new house (both returns, skimmer, lights, sand, and my other gyre)
-oh and getting my testing kit situation sorted. Figure I can do that a little more slowly as I’m planning on letting my tank cycle at least a month.
-at some point getting some maricultured rock and adding it to the system

Probably seems like a lot, but to me, after the past two years, this is the final stretch. I’m so close I can smell the saltwater lol
I might have some extra test kits... I'll check what came in my goodie box today.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back