BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

Jhay R. Datu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I figured it’s about time to start my own build thread since I’ve been working on setting up a 120g DT since snagging it off of the FB marketplace this past August. As my title indicates, this has been a slow steady process and I think I’m still a month or two out from getting my tank cycling.

Anyway, I’m here to document this journey and learn what I can from the veterans here!

1933FE9C-DE4E-4608-B5D5-CEE9B03A8300.jpeg
Nice

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer im absurdly honored you stopped in. And your pics...

anyway, it’s here!!!
D82E6B09-592D-443C-A190-8B2AE6E6E7C3.jpeg
696FD72D-AE5B-4A0D-9CA1-8685C2AEF093.jpeg

The move itself was smooth. Kind of annoyed. The dudes moving it made literally no effort to level the stand or tank. Didn’t even put the wood pieces that go under the stand back were they go. So I got some composite shims. Probably going to have to take the tank off to get the leveling mat under it.

oh well! It’s here. And I dare say it looks even better here than in my old place. Went to Lowe’s, got a brute with the brute specific dolly to help with WCs. Got two hoses so I can run my RoDI. Or water the lawn or whatever responsible adults do lol

so very excited. Just need plumbing parts now

@F i s h y would you mind taking a look at it with me Sunday. Thinking you might have some tricks I’m not aware of.

edited because it cut off the question above for some reason

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer im absurdly honored you stopped in. And your pics...

anyway, it’s here!!!
D82E6B09-592D-443C-A190-8B2AE6E6E7C3.jpeg
696FD72D-AE5B-4A0D-9CA1-8685C2AEF093.jpeg

The move itself was smooth. Kind of annoyed. The dudes moving it made literally no effort to level the stand or tank. Didn’t even put the wood pieces that go under the stand back were they go. So I got some composite shims. Probably going to have to take the tank off to get the leveling mat under it.

oh well! It’s here. And I dare say it looks even better here than in my old place. Went to Lowe’s, got a brute with the brute specific dolly to help with WCs. Got two hoses so I can run my RoDI. Or water the lawn or whatever responsible adults do lol

so very excited. Just need plumbing parts now

@F i s h y would you mind
Very exciting. What type of plumbing design will you be going with? Durso? Herbie? Bean? How will you be doing your returns? Love building tanks... so much fun...

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting. What type of plumbing design will you be going with? Durso? Herbie? Bean? How will you be doing your returns? Love building tanks... so much fun...

if I understand things, bean requires 3 drain lines and I only have 2 unless I want to run some of the return over the back. I think that leaves me with herbie or durso. I’m thinking herbie. I want to get some of those random flow generators since I’m redoing everything anyway.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@F i s h y ill try and get some pics of the overflow area and send them to you. I have a few ideas but would like your input as I’m certain you’ll see something I could do I’m not even aware of lol

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I understand things, bean requires 3 drain lines and I only have 2 unless I want to run some of the return over the back. I think that leaves me with herbie or durso. I’m thinking herbie. I want to get some of those random flow generators since I’m redoing everything anyway.
Submit a pic of the holes in your tank and the great minds on here will help design your plumbing to be the quietest and most efficient. :)

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@F i s h y ill try and get some pics of the overflow area and send them to you. I have a few ideas but would like your input as I’m certain you’ll see something I could do I’m not even aware of lol
Lol nearly a JINX

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@F i s h y these:

So not the best pictures, but here’s some top downs I took right after the seller dropped my tank of back in august of 2019.

Overflow has 4 holes as you can see. And there are two holes on the left and right of the overflow through the bracing
705C9054-3E1E-4F53-BA57-05CA29F1E8AC.jpeg
1A089A5D-575C-40D8-A758-C71A7A34E423.jpeg
907A8D3B-33D6-4E80-9870-D4AC02A8C730.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, I’m willing to consider return over the back since I have 4 mystery holes with no immediate purpose.
Im a super big fan of turn over. The more I can move my water the cleaner, less stagnant it is. Id personally go over the top and use both overflows.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this is gonna be fun... 4 drains and 4 returns...

What did you want to keep in there again? A great white? I think we can manage the flow for that
I think only 2 slots are drilled

Lol on edit I may possibly be wrong about everything hahahaha

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this is gonna be fun... 4 drains and 4 returns...

What did you want to keep in there again? A great white? I think we can manage the flow for that

you saw my starting stock list for fish.

I think I also posted a coral list. But here’s an abbreviated list.

some softies down low and mid (shrooms, toadstool, maybe zoas)
Lps low to mid
(Euphyllia, blastos, favia/favites, candycane, other random lps)
Sps mid to high
(Montis, birds nest, pocilapora, leptos, pavona, and eventually acros. Specifically millies and torts)

I also have two gyre 330s to go with the 4 returns LOL

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back