BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if I do pursue the insane 4 return route, I could route the chords through the original return slots in the overflow...

Also, @danieyella what type of ATS do you have? @sp1187 i know you have the floating Santa Monica model. When did you start running it after the initial cycle

Edit. Question is for both of you lovely hoomans
I also have a floating Santa Monica - but a smaller footprint one because I bought it to fit my old sump space which was very limited. I added that to an existing tank so everything was going already. Went straight into the cade day one (but also so did almost all the water)

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If i was you, I'd put it in day one. I don't see how it could do damage

that’s what I want to do. So I shall. For science and stuff. Also, what do I have to lose?

now to decide how I want to plumb it into my system. In-line or with its own pump. That’s the question

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Everything I’ve read on here and posted by the dudes making our ATSs range from right away to two months after cycle. Trying to figure out what’s actually the best plan.
won't hurt anything by starting it right away.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SPLAMMERDAY
20210515_155738.jpg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been contemplating the idea @F i s h y suggested, and I don’t think I’ll be happy with myself unless I do something that...unusual. So I guess I’m going to run with it. My main return is a Vectra m1.

either today or tomorrow I’ll create a rough sketch of what I’m thinking and post it on here so you gurus can critique and help.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been contemplating the idea @F i s h y suggested, and I don’t think I’ll be happy with myself unless I do something that...unusual. So I guess I’m going to run with it. My main return is a Vectra m1.

either today or tomorrow I’ll create a rough sketch of what I’m thinking and post it on here so you gurus can critique and help.
Sketches are good. Then we can work out the kinks (pun intended) . Figure out a parts list, and have you ready to go.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sketches are good. Then we can work out the kinks (pun intended) . Figure out a parts list, and have you ready to go.

my one concern is whether or not the vectra will be up to the job. I think I read somewhere that a 90 degree fitting adds 1ft of head pressure. Is this correct? Looking at the stats of my pump, it supposedly can handle 21.5 feet of head pressure. And it’s rated at 2000gph.

without actually breaking out the calculator, it seems to me that the vectra would work.

I also think I may have to run something like a manifold for all 4 lines. I’m thinking having ball valves (or whatever the best valve is) at the start of each line.

idk. It’ll make more sense when I show the sketch of what I’m thinking

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my one concern is whether or not the vectra will be up to the job. I think I read somewhere that a 90 degree fitting adds 1ft of head pressure. Is this correct? Looking at the stats of my pump, it supposedly can handle 21.5 feet of head pressure. And it’s rated at 2000gph.

without actually breaking out the calculator, it seems to me that the vectra would work.

I also think I may have to run something like a manifold for all 4 lines. I’m thinking having ball valves (or whatever the best valve is) at the start of each line.

idk. It’ll make more sense when I show the sketch of what I’m thinking
Gate valves.
We will use 45's instead of 90's where we can. Plumb it for 4 if you only run 2 before you upgrade pumps then so be it.
The main determining factor probably won't be your returns, it will be how much water your drains can handle.
download.png

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valves.
We will use 45's instead of 90's where we can. Plumb it for 4 if you only run 2 before you upgrade pumps then so be it.
The main determining factor probably won't be your returns, it will be how much water your drains can handle.
download.png

That’s actually what I was thinking. Only run two returns to start if an upgrade is needed. Going with this plan, I’ll have 4 drains with what? 1 inch pipe? Would it be worth having gate valves on the drains before they reach the sump as well?

I’m thinking that way I could potentially have more adjustability in tandem with a DC return. What do you think?

also, I figure I might as well start looking at what upgrade I want to save up for, even if it’ll be a bit. Not sure what I should go for. The only thing I think of when I think crazy powerful dc returns is abyzz. But I know that’s overkill and if I can justify lights more expensive than my noopsyches, yeah..lol

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually what I was thinking. Only run two returns to start if an upgrade is needed. Going with this plan, I’ll have 4 drains with what? 1 inch pipe? Would it be worth having gate valves on the drains before they reach the sump as well?

I’m thinking that way I could potentially have more adjustability in tandem with a DC return. What do you think?

also, I figure I might as well start looking at what upgrade I want to save up for, even if it’ll be a bit. Not sure what I should go for. The only thing I think of when I think crazy powerful dc returns is abyzz. But I know that’s overkill and if I can justify lights more expensive than my noopsyches, yeah..lol
Yea first thing to decide is what plumbing actually looks like. Especially returns. That way you can calculate head height and potential flow through. Then we determine what flow the drains can handle. Then mash the numbers together to come up with what will work for your setup.
I envision 2 drains wide open no valve. 3rd drain has gate valve to help fine tune and the 4th is high and dry and acts as an emergency. The likelihood of all 3 drains failing at once and overwhelming the 4th is small. Basically the way I'm saying it, if you end up with 1 of your drains completely clogged your system should still be able to handle the water.
@LRT @MERKEY @najer @fishguy242 what are your thoughts?

Back