BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet. I’ll be grabbing one of these soon. Thanks!
Keep in mind they will "flex" at top with water in them. So the 20" top may end up at 22-23" depending how much water is in them. Didnt bother me in my wide open rack stands. Actually did allow for more water backflow during clean up. Structurally sound either way.
If that bothers you. You can put a simple ratchet strap at top of tote to keep it tight and from opening up on you.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind they will "flex" at top with water in them. So the 20" top may end up at 22-23" depending how much water is in them. Didnt bother me in my wide open rack stands. Actually did allow for more water backflow during clean up. Structurally sound either way.
If that bothers you. You can put a simple ratchet strap at top of tote to keep it tight and from opening up on you.

good to know. That shouldn’t be a problem even if I end up enclosing the stand as I should still have an inch of clearance with the flex

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I can run my skimmer in the tote to help with any die off from the rock I want to order. I should probably try and get some more dry rock to go in there with it since my sump will be basically skimmer, ats, heaters, and rock (plus power head)....

GIF by Identity

@LRT what power head have you been running in your tote?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I can run my skimmer in the tote to help with any die off from the rock I want to order. I should probably try and get some more dry rock to go in there with it since my sump will be basically skimmer, ats, heaters, and rock (plus power head)....

GIF by Identity

@LRT what power head have you been running in your tote?
Don't remember the name but I picked up a cpl slightly used 256 gpd pumps a long time ago and just stuck 1 in each sump.
256 gpd on full blast full time is keeping sump 2 plenty clean enough. Trick is stack rock around edges and keep up off the floor and not block flow.
I dont think you can have too much flow in sump though.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remember the name but I picked up a cpl slightly used 256 gpd pumps a long time ago and just stuck 1 in each sump.
256 gpd on full blast full time is keeping sump 2 plenty clean enough. Trick is stack rock around edges and keep up off the floor and not block flow.
I dont think you can have too much flow in sump though.

you read my mind. I’m thinking a sort of rock arch down the length of it

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will keep it off the bottom and allow better flow

yep. That’s what I meant but the pup with the Kong distracted me. More rock due to lack of needing the arch while still being suspended.

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I finally got the piece of gear I’ve wanted since I learned how they work a year ago. Quick unboxing and I’m already impressed. Much more solidly built and beefy than I expected. And I was expecting a solid unit lolCan’t wait to get it up and running. I suppose now that I’ve decided to go with the massive tote for a sump I could have gotten away with one of those awesome Santa Monica surf scrubbers, but I’ve always loved the Clear Waters. Anyway, enough newbie gushing. Behold

Attachments

• 69712B72-517F-4D86-98B1-B7F36F0BDA14.jpeg
    69712B72-517F-4D86-98B1-B7F36F0BDA14.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 3B3389B3-30C1-4A50-A39A-5EEB2AC88DF1.jpeg
    3B3389B3-30C1-4A50-A39A-5EEB2AC88DF1.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 36
  • D30D06B2-05AB-4441-AE23-EC9A88295755.jpeg
    D30D06B2-05AB-4441-AE23-EC9A88295755.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 32

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m now curious to see is if my ATS will help prevent some of the leeching phosphate issues that marco rocks can have.

we shall see
Thanks for reminder I better check my phosphates its been a week or so.
My scrubber hasn't done alot for Nitrates besides keep stable around 10-15 ppm
I've had to start dosing phosphates since my scrubbers have taken off

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reminder I better check my phosphates its been a week or so.
My scrubber hasn't done alot for Nitrates besides keep stable around 10-15 ppm
I've had to start dosing phosphates since my scrubbers have taken off

I could live with stable nitrates and dosing phosphates. I’m curious to see if the talk of them helping pull out heavy metals and ammonia will prove to be true

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could live with stable nitrates and dosing phosphates. I’m curious to see if the talk of them helping pull out heavy metals and ammonia will prove to be true
Algae eats ammonia. Hang on one sec and I will go get a pic lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae eats ammonia. Hang on one sec and I will go get a pic lol.
Ammonia being dumped into my macro tank. Talk about easy to see growth lol. In a week, the codium in there tripled in size lol.
About a cup every 2 days
679DB3A9-1EBB-4D38-8D89-686104A57899.jpeg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s going to be a bit longer than a few weeks until my tank is wet and cycled.

but honestly? I don’t care. I’ve figured out what I want to do for a sump. Same for plumbing. I have the one piece of filtration gear that I’ve wanted simply because as soon as I learned about them, it makes sense to me, biologically. ATS plus maricultured and live rock. Yes.

I also have pretty decent lights. I have the controller I wanted because it makes sense for my vision for my ecosystem. I have decent power heads and an awesome controller for it.

and most of all, I have an incredible tank, stand, and awesome people I’ve met on here who have been beyond helpful.

im not going to go silent again. I’m just pumped.

Excited Ric Flair GIF

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another post from me. But I’m sharing my thoughts and it’s my thread.

just listened to the RNN episode with Josh from Clearwater again. A) feel like I made the right choice with this purchase b) going to wait to fire it up until my tank has cycled. Realized since algae eats ammonia it could potentially drag the cycle out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back