BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see you Ethan!

Leveling should be relatively easy. I did it in 3 stages. Empty, 8" of water, then full. At the full check, I had a small adjustment that needed done. I was happy that I leak tested with hose water rather than ro. I drained most, adjusted two shims and it was perfect once full again.

Plenty of folk around happy to help with the next steps. Plumbing can actually be fun to learn and implement + it feels good to look at afterwards and know I Did That!!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see you Ethan!

Leveling should be relatively easy. I did it in 3 stages. Empty, 8" of water, then full. At the full check, I had a small adjustment that needed done. I was happy that I leak tested with hose water rather than ro. I drained most, adjusted two shims and it was perfect once full again.

Plenty of folk around happy to help with the next steps. Plumbing can actually be fun to learn and implement + it feels good to look at afterwards and know I Did That!!

yeah it’s the tank itself that doesn’t sit level. Just need to get some marine grade plywood and cut out where the drain and return will be

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it’s the tank itself that doesn’t sit level. Just need to get some marine grade plywood and cut out where the drain and return will be
So the stand is racked or warped?

If the floors are relatively level, and the top/bottom planes of the stand are coplanar, I'm wondering how the tank doesn't sit level.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the stand is racked or warped?

If the floors are relatively level, and the top/bottom planes of the stand are coplanar, I'm wondering how the tank doesn't sit level.

the previous own had the stand, a piece of wood (like a tabletop) and a piece of acrylic. The acrylic apparently was used to level off the wood. But said acrylic broke in transit so it’s just the table top left, which is not a level surface. The stand is steel tubing which is not warped or compromised. It’s just the table top thing that’s screwing everything up. I’ll post a pic when I get home

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the previous own had the stand, a piece of wood (like a tabletop) and a piece of acrylic. The acrylic apparently was used to level off the wood. But said acrylic broke in transit so it’s just the table top left, which is not a level surface. The stand is steel tubing which is not warped or compromised. It’s just the table top thing that’s screwing everything up. I’ll post a pic when I get home
Gotcha, makes sense. Are you replacing the tabletop with the ply or laying the ply on top of the tabletop to level it?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, makes sense. Are you replacing the tabletop with the ply or laying the ply on top of the tabletop to level it?

just going to replace it. The tabletop is beat to crap and just doesn’t look good. That and I’m pretty sure the plywood would be able to rock if it was on top of the tabletop. Realistically probably wouldn’t happen with the tank full but I don’t feel even tempting fate so to speak

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just going to replace it. The tabletop is beat to crap and just doesn’t look good. That and I’m pretty sure the plywood would be able to rock if it was on top of the tabletop. Realistically probably wouldn’t happen with the tank full but I don’t feel even tempting fate so to speak
Good call. I could help you make the ply over tabletop work, but there really isn't a point. Double stacked, laminated ply will be a lot more forgiving.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been thinking while laying here sick.

and I think I may do something completely different for lighting.

kinda thinking about going with a photon v2 pro

Here are my reasons:
My noops still need a controller which is getting harder and harder to find. That and the manufacturer has already said they’re no longer supporting the k7 2s with the 3 being out.

if I were to go with kessil and t5 hybrid approach I’d either be using lights that are no longer supported by the company or get 3 new 360x’s which would be over a grand.

ecotech and AI lights are more than the 48” photon for one light. And id need 3

I love the philips but id need 2 and one is as much as the reefbreeders

that and I have a birthday next month and a fiancé that is pretty awesome.

so yeah. Think I’ll be going with the reefbreeders.

thoughts?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbreeders is a great light,have used in past,can only be better now... ;)

I’ve always heard great things about it. Just always balked at 800$ for a single light. Then actually did maths and things and realized it’s probably the best deal as far as quality vs cost I’ll be able to find.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever have the money again I would do two of these over the twins.

oh I’m right with you my friend. If I had the money I’d just get the two Phillips and never look back.

alas I work in a field where I am very under paid. Oh well.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another small update….but by far one of the most exciting.

Kellie, my amazing fiancé, is now completely onboard with the hobby. She wants me to teach her all about it. She already knows corals she wants. I’m now going to be dedicating an area for her to create a zoa garden in the tank.

and she is completely okay with us needing to eventually upgrade for more coral space lol

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may hit you up when I’ve got it to see what you’re doing as far as schedule
It's gonna sound like a cop out - but a slightly elevated version of the brs recommended for mixed reef is what I use. I elevated it some because of my tank being so deep from back to front so that there's enough par in the front still.
So another small update….but by far one of the most exciting.

Kellie, my amazing fiancé, is now completely onboard with the hobby. She wants me to teach her all about it. She already knows corals she wants. I’m now going to be dedicating an area for her to create a zoa garden in the tank.

and she is completely okay with us needing to eventually upgrade for more coral space lol

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line
This is fantastic news!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back