BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something else has been decided. I’m going to have a veritable fish room…lol

Along with my 120g reef, and the 53g reef which my stepdaughter will stock….

my better half wants to have both a jellyfish tank and a seahorse/pipefish tank on either side of the 120.

Again….
Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something else has been decided. I’m going to have a veritable fish room…lol

Along with my 120g reef, and the 53g reef which my stepdaughter will stock….

my better half wants to have both a jellyfish tank and a seahorse/pipefish tank on either side of the 120.

Again….
Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF
Careful my friend... before you know it you barely have room to sit at your dining room table... I keep saying I'm getting rid of tanks... consolidating... and she keeps finding ways to keep it from happening...

20211022_212459.jpg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful my friend... before you know it you barely have room to sit at your dining room table... I keep saying I'm getting rid of tanks... consolidating... and she keeps finding ways to keep it from happening...

20211022_212459.jpg

I can truly say this is a potential problem I never anticipated lol

your tank/dining room is looking awesome btw

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20211022_212459.jpg
Or you convert a 18x12 mini barn to hold the tanks………..

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another update.

I have figured out how I want to do my plumbing. I’ll get a drawing done and posted. Basically using all 4 drilled holes in the return are as a bean animal drain with extra redundancy. Then a single return line that splits in two and enters over the back of the tank via the two wholes in the eurobrace that are closest to the return box. Then I’ll use the furthest holes on either side for the chords of my 2 xf330s.

additionally I will be getting the photon v2 pro 48” fixture for my birthday

I’m also going to be getting 20lbs of the deco live rock from gulf live rock. I plan on putting some in the display to rapidly seed my aquascape and the rest in the sump rock garden.

at this rate I may end up getting the tank mostly set up in the next three weeks

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Update. Will be going with 30lb-35lbs of premium/deco live rock. I was originally planning on just going with Gulf Live Rock but it seems KP has some in stock to be shipped vi air freight. I’d like to go that route. Just worried it’ll get lost in the mix.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Simpsons Yes GIF by Animation Domination

Legit. Your gif would be funnier if it weren’t true. For whatever reason getting live rock ordered from KP has crystallized the reality that I’m on the cusp of something I’ve wanted since childhood. But even more than that, I will soon have a slice of ocean of my own, with help from the ocean itself. And all of the amazing people I’ve met through our shared passion.

I guess turning 31 ain’t so bad lol

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Simpsons Yes GIF by Animation Domination

Legit. Your gif would be funnier if it weren’t true. For whatever reason getting live rock ordered from KP has crystallized the reality that I’m on the cusp of something I’ve wanted since childhood. But even more than that, I will soon have a slice of ocean of my own, with help from the ocean itself. And all of the amazing people I’ve met through our shared passion.

I guess turning 31 ain’t so bad lol
So excited for you man, well deserved and severely overdue. Happy birthday for sure!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BeltedCoyote had to start getting alerts from your build. Im excited to see your new rock!

thank you my friend! I can’t wait to show what I get. Just happy I was able to snag some KP.

and hey, let me know what you think as I keep moving forward. Input from everyone is appreciated.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited for you man, well deserved and severely overdue. Happy birthday for sure!

Thank you so much my friend! It’s a month early technically. But only because the time of year. Weather is weird in Indiana anyway and this year has been even weirder. Last year we here was snow on my birthday so yeah…. Regardless….really one of the best presents I’ve ever received.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been giving some thought to my stand, how my wonderfully large tote sump leaves no room for anything but it and filtration under my stand…. and how I have a sparkling new hydros control system and it’s many fancy things as well as a need to discreetly conceal an ato reservoir. Bonus points if I can somehow use both needs as stands for the future jellyfish and seahorse tanks.

honestly thinking either two diy cabinets sitting on either side of the 120. However, also thinking one side could be a cabinet/controller board. Have the controller mounted on the face with the sort of power station @F i s h y has one his cabinet. Then a space for chords before another wall, behind which hides the ATO. Maybe make the outside closest to the 120 have a recessed shelf which holds potential dosing pumps in the future. And then on the other side could just be a stand and the pony tank?

(I’m aware that this may be incomprehensible to picture lol. Mostly rambling for the sake of sharing my thought process)

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating my sump. Wondering if I should go ahead and try to at least make some sort of baffle for the skimmer section to help with stable water levels.

what do you all think?

oh. And I’m going to buy some things from octo aquatics: heater holder, probe holder, and possibly the filter sock/cup holder

Additionally I’m wondering if I should just plumb my ATS into the overall plumbing of my tank rather than having it run from its own pump. Thoughts?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating my sump. Wondering if I should go ahead and try to at least make some sort of baffle for the skimmer section to help with stable water levels.

what do you all think?

oh. And I’m going to buy some things from octo aquatics: heater holder, probe holder, and possibly the filter sock/cup holder

Additionally I’m wondering if I should just plumb my ATS into the overall plumbing of my tank rather than having it run from its own pump. Thoughts?

I can't add much but yes to stable skimmer level, if you don't want to do a baffle then make a stand for the skimmer that you can adjust the height of?! :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what do you all think?

My tub sumps under my tanks in the fish barn all have DIY float switch ATOs in them. Water level stays constant due to that. I just use cheap 5v cat water fountain pumps and the storage tanks are right next to them. Using 5v pumps, I can use a phone charger brick and cheap float switches. Run the negative for the brick through the switch and done. I also use 2 float switches in series for rundundancy. So far I have not had to replace a pump yet. Couple of float switches over the years, but that is it. Think it costs about 15 bucks an ATO from Amazon. Never had to buy a phone brick or usb cable to power the switches/pump. Have a ton of those lol. Especially since most everything is USB C now.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back