OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree, our shipping routes are different, shorter or less transfers from water to water, unless a fish is a very specific one known for poor shipping all new fish swim out of the bag after acclimation as I trust my lfs water implicitly, special cases come to me in the bag from wholesaler, same acclimation but the fish is netted to go in the tank, the wholesaler is the importer so only sees one or two different waters before me.

i admit I do not have quite so much trust with my LFS water. Although their systems are spotless. I also wonder if the seeming rarity of mimics coming in around here is due to poor shipping survival.

then again though. He was soo healthy looking. Who knows

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got my choco from liveaquaria. I know they get a really bad rep for a lot of things, but many of my fish actually came from them. If the fish don't make it, they give you a credit.

Another good online vendor for me has been reef beauties.

There was one good reputable fish vendor in my area for a while and they went down with the pandemic. So I've had to resort to online because everyone else is sketchy locally.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got my choco from liveaquaria. I know they get a really bad rep for a lot of things, but many of my fish actually came from them. If the fish don't make it, they give you a credit.

Another good online vendor for me has been reef beauties.

There was one good reputable fish vendor in my area for a while and they went down with the pandemic. So I've had to resort to online because everyone else is sketchy locally.

at this point I’m willing to give online a try. The one LFS I trust is an hour away and I can only really get there on a Saturday.

I’ll keep an eye on LA and Reef Beauties.

my stepdaughter just mentioned how she really liked the choco. Fiancé already said she wants to get another. So it’ll happen.

this time I want to try and get one that’s a little smaller.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m opting to get the 120 set up rather than get another fish. Goal is to have the plumbing done by New Years. Hopefully water production will also be resolved then. At least temporarily.

been reading the big Dino thread and I don’t want to jinx myself but I feel like I am going into this with a solid plan.

not going to use chemicals beyond dosing if needed. Well, maybe some GAC if there’s an unforeseen wrinkle.

planning on only using skimmer, ats, and the most basic of mechanical/manual maintenance. Although, I might get a filter roller one day. Because I do like tech.

I have a controller. But only so I can really dial in flow, have a safety net for equipment failure, and passive monitoring.

and I am viewing this tank in terms of years. Not months or weeks.

idk. I guess I needed to remind myself of something good.

which is actually part of why I decided to get into the hobby.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m opting to get the 120 set up rather than get another fish. Goal is to have the plumbing done by New Years. Hopefully water production will also be resolved then. At least temporarily.

been reading the big Dino thread and I don’t want to jinx myself but I feel like I am going into this with a solid plan.

not going to use chemicals beyond dosing if needed. Well, maybe some GAC if there’s an unforeseen wrinkle.

planning on only using skimmer, ats, and the most basic of mechanical/manual maintenance. Although, I might get a filter roller one day. Because I do like tech.

I have a controller. But only so I can really dial in flow, have a safety net for equipment failure, and passive monitoring.

and I am viewing this tank in terms of years. Not months or weeks.

idk. I guess I needed to remind myself of something good.

which is actually part of why I decided to get into the hobby.
Sorry about the fish loss , happens to everyone sadly but you can look forward to the new tank! And In a way buying some new fish that will be going into the 120 is kinda like saving for it haha

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the fish loss , happens to everyone sadly but you can look forward to the new tank! And In a way buying some new fish that will be going into the 120 is kinda like saving for it haha

thanks man. Just liked him a lot. Not the first sudden loss I’ve had without obvious signs of anything wrong. Lost my Valentini in a similar way although it wasn’t overnight.

and that’s what I’m telling myself. That and I want my foxface to have more room. Choco dude was further motivation. But regardless. I’ve been at this for two years. I am at the point where I just need to get some plywood, pvc, fittings, and make a trip down to a certain guru.

I’m in the endgame of the beginning. And I’m beyond ready to move on to the next step.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So booster pumps.

thinking this.

Or this.

the second looks cool. But is there any real benefit of one vs the other?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
8800 hands down... :cool:

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8800 hands down... :cool:

That’s what I’m leaning towards. Just didn’t know if there’s something I’ve missed about the smart one.

I mean, it has pretty colors so clearly it should be magically lol

But yeah. I’m pretty set on the 8800. Just making sure I’m not missing something.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
didn't even look at"fancy " one... :D ;) 8800.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't even look at"fancy " one... :D ;) 8800.

yeah I’m set on the 8800. Did a bit more reading. Not looking for anything beyond line in and out from the pump. The other one is way more than I need. And the smart one is only rated for 100gpd. My silly 7 stage RoDI is 150gpd. So it’s already out.

going to probably run the RoDI from a bathroom for a bit. Seems like the 8800 should be pretty simple to set up in such a situation until I can mount everything in the garage.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yep and it will last you forever,
and if it don't ,i have 2 for parts.
Thanks to @Crabby48 ,gifting me one ,when mine failed... :cool:

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep and it will last you forever,
and if it don't ,i have 2 for parts.
Thanks to @Crabby48 ,gifting me one ,when mine failed... :cool:

I’m assuming what comes with this is probably worth getting the package deal vs the pump without the kit?

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming what comes with this is probably worth getting the package deal vs the pump without the kit?
Thats kit is exactly what I got for mine and works like a chap for almost 2 yrs now. The shut off needed adjusting when I first got it but its easy and brs even has a video how to adjust.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So next on equipment list is booster pump.

and crap…got sucked into several wrasse threads this evening….I might be a wrasse guy….

and I mean, might as well be, with a 4ft tank to work with for the next 5+years
(Feels like a very “famous last words” statement but there ya go)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So next on equipment list is booster pump.

and crap…got sucked into several wrasse threads this evening….I might be a wrasse guy….

and I mean, might as well be, with a 4ft tank to work with for the next 5+years
(Feels like a very “famous last words” statement but there ya go)
Dragon wrasse please

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon wrasse please

I mean…i want to. But I’m pretty sure I need a bigger tank. But heck. I want a humphead. So bigger tank and the need for one isn’t new lol

If I ever do a Fowlr I plan on having a dragon on a more serious note.

for now though. A utility wrasse and then several fairy and flashers. Thinking that plus a flame hawk and shrimp/goby pair for fiancé, foxface, clowns and two tangs will probably end up being my stock list.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back