OP
Bender

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switch will be your best friend...don't ask how I know. :cool:

I have been thinking of doing an HOB float valve on my stock ATO reservoir but am worried about it failing and flooding into my Sump - which would be catastrophic if I was not home.

Darins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build thread. I have a 625xxl on the way (delayed) but excited about the whole process. What happened with your powerheads. Were you able to get stronger magnet? What would you recommend if you were going from scratch for the powerheads? Im debating on what i want for my build now..

OP
OP
Bender

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build thread. I have a 625xxl on the way (delayed) but excited about the whole process. What happened with your powerheads. Were you able to get stronger magnet? What would you recommend if you were going from scratch for the powerheads? Im debating on what i want for my build now..

Thank you! I tried to be as most detailed as possible. Lately I have been slacking on updates and should probably post some soon.

I did not get a stronger magnet. After i filled with water the gyre stuck just fine and the flow of it keeps it in place. I would definitely of liked it stronger, but it hasn't moved on it's own accord since I got it wet. If I were to start from scratch I would probably have gone with double gyre. Man do they move water. Mine is only set to 20-40%. I would have gotten a second gyre and not the 2 current usa pumps. Or maybe the new red sea ones so they could connect with my lights. One thing to note when the gyre gets dirty there is a noticable affect on performance. I do have to clean it every two months or so.

Darins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I tried to be as most detailed as possible. Lately I have been slacking on updates and should probably post some soon.

I hope so! A big update on all the successes and fails would be awesome! have another 20ish days before mine arrives but these kinds of posts really help me prepare.

OP
OP
Bender

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, figured it was time to update with a FTS.

I have been battling a big GHA problem. My newer addition of a Foxface has really helped. He has been eating all the longer pieces and really making a difference.

The combination of GHA outbreak and heavy filtration has caused low nutrients with zero free nitrates and zero phosphates. This has caused some issues with unhappy zoa's and LPS. It also spiked small cyano issues (which went away as fast as it came). I have cut back my protein skimmer and started dosing Potassium Nitrate about two weeks ago. Things have already responded relatively positive to this change.

Current Livestock:
Midas Blenny
x2 Firefish
Royal Gramma
One Spot Foxface
Yellow Crois Wrasse

In Quarantine:
Flurry Clownfish
Longnose Hawkfish

CUC:
x2 Emerald Crabs
Hermits
Misc Snails

Coral:
Misc Zoas
Teal Trumpet
Green Trumpet
Duncan
Purple Tip Frogspwn
Splatter Hammer
Hollywood Stunner
Red Acan

20200531_195405.jpg

OP
OP
Bender

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bender i have gotten the same skimmer for my 750. What is your water height in your sump? Mine is too deep to run that skimmer with out a stand at the optimum water height.

My skimmer section was to deep as well even with the baffle as low as it allows. I made a stand out of a piece of acrylic and PVC legs just shy of 2" tall to raise it. I still don't run the skimmer because of low nutrients, but it worked much better once I put it on the stand at the beginning.

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer section was to deep as well even with the baffle as low as it allows. I made a stand out of a piece of acrylic and PVC legs just shy of 2" tall to raise it. I still don't run the skimmer because of low nutrients, but it worked much better once I put it on the stand at the beginning.

Yea that’s what I am gonna do. I’m gonna make one out of egg crate and pvc. If you don’t run the skimmer what ways to did you export nitrates in the beginning? Water changes?

OP
OP
Bender

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s what I am gonna do. I’m gonna make one out of egg crate and pvc. If you don’t run the skimmer what ways to did you export nitrates in the beginning? Water changes?
Even now I don't run it a year later, I still have to low of nutrients. I use Chaeto (which doesn't grow much), Filter Socks, lots of LR rubble, and a UV sterilizer. I water change about 15% every three weeks or so. Normally I have to dose Nitrates to keep them around 5.

I would avoid using egg crate, as it doesn't allow the skimmer to sit on its noise abdsorbing feet. I would lean toward a piece of acrylic.

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you attach the legs to the piece of acrylic?

Even now I don't run it a year later, I still have to low of nutrients. I use Chaeto (which doesn't grow much), Filter Socks, lots of LR rubble, and a UV sterilizer. I water change about 15% every three weeks or so. Normally I have to dose Nitrates to keep them around 5.

I would avoid using egg crate, as it doesn't allow the skimmer to sit on its noise abdsorbing feet. I would lean toward a piece of acrylic.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back