Benefits of clownfish hosting an anemone?

Are your clowns hosting anything in your tank?

• Total voters

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So exciting news.... MY CLOWN JUST STARTED HOSTING ITS NEM!! WOOHOO!! ok so back to the question.. I was wondering if there are any benefits either for the clown or nem when it's being hosted? Idk if I'm making this up but my nem is looking a little happier now that the two paired up.

Thanks!!
#reefsquad

Rover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So exciting news.... MY CLOWN JUST STARTED HOSTING ITS NEM!! WOOHOO!! ok so back to the question.. I was wondering if there are any benefits either for the clown or nem when it's being hosted? Idk if I'm making this up but my nem is looking a little happier now that the two paired up.

Thanks!!
#reefsquad

I believe in the wild it benefits the nem for protection and the clown for the same thing. As well one might be able to steal food from the other...

In your tank, I've understood it to be mostly for just aesthetics?

All I know is my clownfish are hosting either a powerhead, or the corner of the tank right above it. :p

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a nem in my tank and ultimately the clowns hosted in My red Gonipora. The Gonipora was not happy and started to close up until I moved the Goni to the other side of the tank...
My clown fish are snobish, they never travel to that side of the tank...

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the wild it benefits the nem for protection and the clown for the same thing. As well one might be able to steal food from the other...

In your tank, I've understood it to be mostly for just aesthetics?

All I know is my clownfish are hosting either a powerhead, or the corner of the tank right above it. :p
That makes sense. Hope yours starts hosting something soon!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a nem in my tank and ultimately the clowns hosted in My red Gonipora. The Gonipora was not happy and started to close up until I moved the Goni to the other side of the tank...
My clown fish are snobish, they never travel to that side of the tank...
hahaa probably pretty cool to see the Goni and the clowns together though!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both benefit greatly. Both get protection. The anemone benefits additionally from food bits. A pair of clowns get a safe place to lay eggs.

I once had a Clarkii and whenever he got a chuck of clam meat or something to big for him he would shove it right in the H. magnifica’s mouth.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both benefit greatly. Both get protection. The anemone benefits additionally from food bits. A pair of clowns get a safe place to lay eggs.

I once had a Clarkii and whenever he got a chuck of clam meat or something to big for him he would shove it right in the H. magnifica’s mouth.
Good enough for me!!;)

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the clown fish are more confident when they have a home base to defend.Mine favor Euphyllia corals and a Pectina.
Never heard of a clown hosting a pectina! That's an awesome duo!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back