Benefits of KZ coral snow (CACO3)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the benefits of dosing CACO3 to a reef tank? What is the purpose of it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It neutralizes the yellowing of tank water and diminishes unwanted acids within the tank thereby preventing slime algae and in some cases even cyano based on its biological capabilities.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I know it's a flocculent...but more details on how it actually works would be great.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I know it's a flocculent...but more details on how it actually works would be great.
I agree. I like to dose it because it makes my tank so clear. It feels like I had a tank refresh every time.

I mainly got it to remove tiny particles (unidentified). I think it’s sand particles or detritus. All I know is that it comes from the bottom of the tank when stirred.

I’ve read posts about this product clearing waste and organics from coral flesh. Something about corals having extreme polyp extension after dosing.

I would definitely be interested in learning the science behind this compound (CACO3).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works like GAC, binding organics to the mineral surface. It may also flocculate (binding organics between 2 or more particles to speed settling out), but that's isn't required for action of a material that settles out anyway.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back