Benefits of Refugium with no Nitrate Phosphate issues

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I was wondering if I should try a refugium for the second time.

the first time the chaeto turned white so I wasn’t sure if I had enough nutrients.

my current Phosphate is 0-1
Nitrate 0

I am not sure if I should start one and deal with the hassle if it’s not really needed. The only reason why I am thinking of it is because I have a mandarin and to harvest Cope pods would be beneficial long run.
What do you guys think?

Thanks

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think they can be very beneficial both for things like pods and PH stabilizing(reverse lit)

Without nutrients though you going to have a tough time with a refugium. If nitrates are truly consistently 0 with a decent test kit the refugium(and coral for that matter) will suffer.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m supplementing Coralb+ to raise nutrients for corals.

just super big on phosphates and nitrates since day 1 when I had GHA issue. But since then my husbandry and cleaning techniques are religiously consistent.

Ph is around 8.10 and dips to around 7.9 at night so it’s not bad but can be better.

the mandarin is eating frozen as well so it’s not a must. But something to accomplish next in this hobby ?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a firm believer in heavy in, heavy out. Refugium is a must in my eyes. If you have a nutrient issue, feed more, and export more.

And unless you have dino's, I would be getting better test kits(o nitrates and 0-1 phosphates tells me probably API kits?), cause there is no way you have true 0's and no dino's.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back