Berghia Nudibranchs disappeared after I put them in the tank.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got 3 Berghia Nudiabranchs about an month ago and I put them into my tank to deal with Aiptasia and the Aiptasia amount has not been decreasing and I have not seen my Berghia Nudiabranchs since I added them. What do I do because I really need the Aiptasia gone but everything I have tried has just failed I have tried peppermint shrimp and Aiptasia x I just hoped Berghia Nudiabranchs would be the end.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got 3 Berghia Nudiabranchs about an month ago and I put them into my tank to deal with Aiptasia and the Aiptasia amount has not been decreasing and I have not seen my Berghia Nudiabranchs since I added them. What do I do because I really need the Aiptasia gone but everything I have tried has just failed I have tried peppermint shrimp and Aiptasia x I just hoped Berghia Nudiabranchs would be the end.
You might not see them for a while. They are amazing at hiding during the day. If they reproduce you’ll have a better chance. I think you might see one crawling on the front glass some morning or evening.

I get very little reproduction inside my tank, I think because the eggs and young are eaten by amphipods. The adults seems to slowly succumb to my mp40’s as well.

I had a grow out/ breeding system and that worked. But eventually, I would get amphipods in there too when I transferred in aiptasia from my main tank.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. I thought they had gotten eaten because I still have an aptasia problem. Months after I got them, I saw one on the glass, much bigger and fatter than when I got it. I think I may need more, as the 3 I got for my 40g haven't gotten things under control

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. I thought they had gotten eaten because I still have an aptasia problem. Months after I got them, I saw one on the glass, much bigger and fatter than when I got it. I think I may need more, as the 3 I got for my 40g haven't gotten things under control
Ok so they take a bit sometimes

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. That’s kind of what they do. Lol. I’ve only ever seen the ones I’ve had in previous a handful of times and that with hours of sitting and looking for them.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember I got mine for my 65 at around the start of the summer. It felt like nothing was happening, but one day about 2 and a half months later I all of a sudden noticed I couldn't find a single aiptasia everywhere. Assuming you added a sufficient number for your system, introduced them correctly all in a group, at night, in a tank without predators like peppermint shrimp, etc., in my experience it took them about a month to settle in. After that, ever so slowly you'll notice an aiptasia in a noticeable spot all of a sudden be gone, then a few more ever so slowly, and one day you'll realize none are left! It's a 2 ish month process in my experience at least, but definitely worth it.

Also, for what it's worth, I saw mine maybe 3 times over the whole period. I wouldn't worry about where they are and how many there are. Just hang tight and let them do their thing! They're aiptasia eating machines

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember I got mine for my 65 at around the start of the summer. It felt like nothing was happening, but one day about 2 and a half months later I all of a sudden noticed I couldn't find a single aiptasia everywhere. Assuming you added a sufficient number for your system, introduced them correctly all in a group, at night, in a tank without predators like peppermint shrimp, etc., in my experience it took them about a month to settle in. After that, ever so slowly you'll notice an aiptasia in a noticeable spot all of a sudden be gone, then a few more ever so slowly, and one day you'll realize none are left! It's a 2 ish month process in my experience at least, but definitely worth it.

Also, for what it's worth, I saw mine maybe 3 times over the whole period. I wouldn't worry about where they are and how many there are. Just hang tight and let them do their thing! They're aiptasia eating machines
Cool thanks for the reassurance

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

AquaBert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like months and months? Just curious.
My nudi’s did the job quickly. I even intro some to the refugium. The other day I saw a small Aiptasia, but I’m the last couple of days it went missing.

I remember reading that it take a couple of months for them to grow in size/numbers.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back