Berghia....pros/cons for use on aiptasia

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
Long story short....I got the crappy live rock instead of the premium live rock (to save some cash) and realized two days later its infested with aiptasia. Thankfully its in a new tank thats cycling and not the DT.
Are berghia nudis really 100% on the clearing of aiptasia?

Its a 20 gallon (cycling tank), only live rock (bare bottom). Do I need to wait to finish cycling to add one or two in there? Its my understanding that they need low flow. I want to get rid of aiptasia before I put any coral/fish in there.
Is that even the best option for me? Im looking at 15-20 that I can see.

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia work on reducing Aiptasia populations, but they don't always get every last one, before they starve to death. You almost need a separate tank breeding Berghia to use them to effectively remove every last Aiptasia. 15-20 aren't enough and depending on the tank size, they may never get to all of them.. Since your setting up the tank, I would remove rock and dig them out of the rock or remove them another way. For sure, deal with the Aiptasia now, they are the std of my reef. I've tried Berghia twice, the second time I let my tank turn into a aiptasia frat house, had hundreds of them. It took a few months for the Berghia to start knocking down the population, but once they did it was awesome. I went about 2 month without seeing any, but just last week an aiptasia popped up, argh.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I handle getting rid of these then?
I dont really want the nutrients of a die off in there...I dont even have a CUC yet
Could I bake the rock? or boil?
Im really open to anything...I dont relish killing all the coralline off but I cannot stand aiptasia. Im lucky I dont have any in my 25 DT

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste , spot treating with hydrogen peroxide , dip rock in peroxide. I haven't used peroxide, but it's seems some people have on Google. I believe it's used for algae removal, so it may be a good option. You have allot of options since it's not in your display tank. Good move on qt the rock first before dumping into dt.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the only way to be 100% sure you get them all is to remove the rocks and start over. Never bake or boil rocks!!! That is a mistaken nomenclature used in this hobby.

I realize you paid for live rock and probably hate to kill it, but your best bet is to give it a diluted muratic acid bath. Or use vinegar if you don't want to use the acid. Let it soak in the bath, rinse it well several times and then let it sit out in the sun and dry thoroughly for a couple days. Put it back in and restart the cycle.

If you use the acid (which in my opinion works better and faster) make sure you wear gloves and eye protection. It's nasty stuff.

Just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ.

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having gone down the Berghia route, I think dbl suggestion of the acid bath is the way to go.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste , spot treating with hydrogen peroxide , dip rock in peroxide. I haven't used peroxide, but it's seems some people have on Google. I believe it's used for algae removal, so it may be a good option. You have allot of options since it's not in your display tank. Good move on qt the rock first before dumping into dt.

I soaked my rock for 5-45 minutes in 100% off the shelf peroxide. It was a huge boost in my algae fight and really got me over the hump. It didn't do a thing to my aptasia.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I acid dipped rocked, I diluted the Acid 10:1 with water. Dipped the rocks and let it bubble, then dumped in allot of baking soda to neutralize the acid. Power washed the rock, then like it sit in the sun for a few weeks. The rock will essentially be stripped of everything, including some of the rock. Do it outside, gloves and eye protection. Acid works, but its nasty.

What about a bleach bath? Anyone used bleach to kill aiptasia?

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather use bleach if possible! lol
I cant imagine they can withstand bleach...

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if my LFS would take that rock back and let me get dry rock instead...

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if my LFS would take that rock back and let me get dry rock instead...

That might be worth a shot if they are the one's that sold the infested live rock. Get your credit if possible, buy the dry (it should be less $), but I would highly recommend doing the same acid/vinegar/bleach (take your pick) bath with it! Better to start fresh in my opinion. Some may call it overkill, I call it peace of mind!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hired some of these little guys and they cleared my tank of aiptasia! Need to rehome them though once the anemones are gone!

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 12 Berghia from Salty Underground and with a little time they totally eliminated my entire infestation. I'd 100% recommend it based on my experience.

HandsomeBwonderful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint Shrimp is all you need. They worked great for me in my 25 gallon cube. 3 of them did the trick in no time....and no, they did not go after my other inverts (sps, lps, zoas, and rose anemone). Don't mess around with the other solutions...none worked for me like the shrimp.

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fairly large infestation in my 90. I put in 4 peppermint shrimp and a small copperband butterfly. At first it didn't seem like it was working. Then it started working and in a very short time they were all gone. I still have the shrimp and butterfly in my tank. I was told to get the shrimp as soon as the lfs gets them. They don't have a chance to get used to other foods. To be honest, I don't know which one did the job. Maybe both, but they are gone.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia will knock them down but they will come back. I would have to buy them annually like clock work. So, if you don't want them in your tank you will need to kill your live rock as suggested with acid. If using muriatic acid, make sure you dilute it and don't inhale the vapors. If you can return to LFS. I would do that.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use Aiptasia-X by Red Sea to kill them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back