Best “tang like” fish for a smaller system?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who have smaller systems and can’t get a Tang, what is a fish that might have similar algae grazing abilities?

I have a Kole tang for about a year now in my 50gal and he is becoming a jerk. Killed 2 diamond gobys (tried one a few months ago, killed it in 3 days. Just got one yesterday and it killed it already) and is not letting my fire fish get a break. I always planned to rehome the Tang anyways because of my tank size, but this was the last straw. I have to take part my whole scape to catch it but I’m over his sh**.

Anything I could replace it with that would help keep algae at bay? Algae blenny? Just a bunch of snails? I’d prefer a fish replacement as snails aren’t the most interesting but open to suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have smaller systems and can’t get a Tang, what is a fish that might have similar algae grazing abilities?

I have a Kole tang for about a year now in my 50gal and he is becoming a d***. Killed 2 diamond gobys (tried one a few months ago, killed it in 3 days. Just got one yesterday and it killed it already) and is not letting my fire fish get a break. I always planned to rehome the Tang anyways because of my tank size, but this was the last straw. I have to take part my whole scape to catch it but I’m over his sh**.

Anything I could replace it with that would help keep algae at bay? Algae blenny? Just a bunch of snails? I’d prefer a fish replacement as snails aren’t the most interesting but open to suggestions!
lawn mower/starry/bicolor...

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a Kole tang for about a year now in my 50gal and he is becoming a jerk. Killed 2 diamond gobys (tried one a few months ago, killed it in 3 days. Just got one yesterday and it killed it already) and is not letting my fire fish get a break. I always planned to rehome the Tang anyways because of my tank size, but this was the last straw. I have to take part my whole scape to catch it but I’m over his sh**.

I have a Yellow Eye Kole that is a real basshole. He bullied and killed a lawnmower blenny and a diamond goby. I added some extra rock and he has settled down though TBH I haven't tried another blenny or goby yet.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Yellow Eye Kole that is a real basshole. He bullied and killed a lawnmower blenny and a diamond goby. I added some extra rock and he has settled down though TBH I haven't tried another blenny or goby yet.
Yeah my scale and everything are pretty locked up so don’t want to add stuff. Albeit I’m about to tear it down to catch this guy lol

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they just eat longer algae or do they go for the film too?
I have little experience with even tangs eating filamentous algae, and think the blennies are better at keeping algae from starting rather than chopping down forests

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tomini Tangs stay small, what are you doing with the Kole Tang?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have little experience with even tangs eating filamentous algae, and think the blennies are better at keeping algae from starting rather than chopping down forests
I had a scopas tang for a bit that did. Again outgrew so I rehomed and got the kole tang. I’ll look into the blennies. I think they have issues with other similar shapes fish if I recall so I’ll have to see if I can keep one with my diamond goby (3rd times the charm right… )

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a scopas tang for a bit that did. Again outgrew so I rehomed and got the kole tang. I’ll look into the blennies. I think they have issues with other similar shapes fish if I recall so I’ll have to see if I can keep one with my diamond goby (3rd times the charm right… )
I have heard that same shape aggression story too, but have not seem it in my own tanks

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotbreast and Watanabe Angelfish are some of my favorites. I kept a pair in my 50 lagoon, and now I have 6 in a 200.

Probably won't do as much for the algae, but mine do pick at it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back