Best “tang like” fish for a smaller system?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Eye Kole that is a real basshole. He bullied and killed a lawnmower blenny and a diamond goby. I added some extra rock and he has settled down though TBH I haven't tried another blenny or goby yet.

Yup I agree...

In my tank I had pretty much all the tang shapes/species (Gem/Black/Yellow/Purple/Chevron/Kole/Achilles/Achilles Hybrid/Blue/etc...) and BY FAR the biggest bullies were the Kole and Chevron... people say Powder Blue / Achilles are the meanest, but not in my experience. Also the Black and Gem grew at exponential paces with the other Tangs in there, not sure why, but they were small plate sized and didn't really bother anyone. Also the Achilles / Achilles Hybrid worried me the most, since I was told it would be murder. Just a few days of chases and that was that.

I always wanted a Sohal Tang, but I had just heard too many horror stories (along with the Clown) and managed to keep myself from getting one. Also to be honest, with all the tangs I had, they mostly stuck to their part of the tank and were nice and fat/happy/healthy. Apart from an Achilles, I'd say most tangs are ok in a bit smaller tank than sites recommend (even ours). Especially if you have rock work where they can swim through all day and lots to pick at. My Crosshatch Trigger pair were the fish I'd say needed room in the tank. Although they mostly stuck to one corner of the tank (weird), they could cross all ten feet in a literal blink of an eye, I've never seen a fish so fast. I would try to feed in their corner, because they would startle me if I feed on the opposite side, so much so I'd drop the food from time to time. (Also big splashers lol)

After keeping everything from cheap cardinals to a masked angel, I'd say if I'd get back into the hobby it would be to keep one of 3 fish:
- Achilles Tang
- Bandit Angel
- Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse

I would love to do a tank for all three, but don't want a huge tank again. Might just go with the Hawaiian Cleaner if tank raised and do a little SPS tank. I would maybe go a bit bigger to get a Bandit, just loved that guy.

But yeah... an Angel would be my recommendation, if you are more into coral, something a bit more reef safe. They require a lot less swimming room and "exercise" than a tang.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mimic tang one of the smallest tangs and slow growing. its in with a lot of different fish and is a model citizen.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back