Best Acrylic glue/weld for DIY Acrylic Tank That has Been Laser Cut?

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I just finished building an acrylic nano dropoff that holds water but has lots of air bubbles at the seams and joints. I go to an engineering college and have access to a laser cutter. After cutting, I run into the problem of the edges that were cut have a slight angle to them and not perfectly flat. The weld that I used was Weld-On 4, which was super liquidy and chemically burned under the painter's tape that I was using on the faces of the acrylic.

My questions are:
1. What should I use to bond these pieces so I don't have bubbles and bleed throughs?

2. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of the angled edges and/or the best power and speed settings to laser cut 1/4in on a 200w laser cutter?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Y8ZC

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Weld on... I use electric tape it holds it together with just enough pressure
I tried that, but I guess because the edges aren't perfectly flat some leaks through.

JPG@CFI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first problem is cutting the material with a laser cutter. You are heat stressing the material. The second issue is the cuts aren’t square. As a tank builder for the last 3 decades, edge prep is the biggest factor for getting a good bond. Not a fan of Weldon 3 or 4 and don’t get me started on 16. WeldOn 40 is your friend, and I use it almost daily. It’s a 2 part, and can be difficult for first timers to use, but it’s very strong. Hit me up if you want some tips. Instragram under Clear Fabrications is where to get me.

OP
OP
Y8ZC

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first problem is cutting the material with a laser cutter. You are heat stressing the material. The second issue is the cuts aren’t square. As a tank builder for the last 3 decades, edge prep is the biggest factor for getting a good bond. Not a fan of Weldon 3 or 4 and don’t get me started on 16. WeldOn 40 is your friend, and I use it almost daily. It’s a 2 part, and can be difficult for first timers to use, but it’s very strong. Hit me up if you want some tips. Instragram under Clear Fabrications is where to get me.
Thank you for all the tips, I'll try a table saw when I get home with a plastic blade. I'll define be checking out the Weldon 40. If I have any other questions I'll dm you on Instagram now that I'm following you!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the tips, I'll try a table saw when I get home with a plastic blade. I'll define be checking out the Weldon 40. If I have any other questions I'll dm you on Instagram now that I'm following you!
Listen to @JPG@CFI ...He knows what he is talking about. Don't weld laser cut edges. The best way to prep them is on a router table with a large diameter straight flute bit. A table saw can do in a pinch but you really need to find a buddy with a router. You can take the panels and double side tape them together. Create a fence using a straight edge to get them identical. The end panels both need to be identical, and the front and rear panels need to be identical in height to the sides. The top and bottom are always oversized and flush trimmed to size when you do the ends.

OP
OP
Y8ZC

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen to @JPG@CFI ...He knows what he is talking about. Don't weld laser cut edges. The best way to prep them is on a router table with a large diameter straight flute bit. A table saw can do in a pinch but you really need to find a buddy with a router. You can take the panels and double side tape them together. Create a fence using a straight edge to get them identical. The end panels both need to be identical, and the front and rear panels need to be identical in height to the sides. The top and bottom are always oversized and flush trimmed to size when you do the ends.
My Dad has a router that I can use when I go home for the summer which will be in a month and a half. How large of a diameter is a large diameter flute bit? Also, do you think it would be ok to use the laser cutter to cut out the center hole of the Euro-Brace, and use the route to cut the sides that will be bonded to the sides of the tank? I have only used a router a hand full of times and never a router table, so I don't feel confident making the rounded interior corners with a router?

Also to @JPG@CFI

Thank you guys for all your advice and help, I really appreciate it.

JPG@CFI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbide bit you need is a 1/2 shank, 1/2” spiral up cut, for use in a router table. Spiral down cut in a hand held router. Do not cut anything with a laser. It heat stresses the plastic. Make a template out of MDF, sand and perfect it, you can even use Bondo to fix any whoops, and route your portholes. If you want to see some examples of it done right, check out my Instagram. Clear Fabrications. I do all kinds of acrylic machining, weld steel stands, and high end full builds. Remember, a tank is the foundation for your display. If your tank is junk, expect a wet floor at some point. 29 years in the business, over 2200 tanks in service, and never a failure.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some DuPont Dry Lube Teflon Spray for that saw blade before you do any cutting, or it will gum up on you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 50

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back