Best Acrylic Tank Manufacturer???????

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by italquam, Mar 11, 2019.

1. italquam

italquam Active Member

I am looking to get a new tank the coming year. I have been looking at Midwest Custom Aquarium and Acrylic Creations for a manufacturer for a 60x30x24 tank.

Does anyone have feedback on either and any recommendations for other acrylic manufacturers???

Tags:

2. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad 3RMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

3. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Question - besides weight - why an acrylic tank

JoshH, italquam and 408Dartfish like this.
  4. reeferKen

reeferKen Active Member

Club reef in Tempe , AZ manufactures acrylic.

5. italquam

italquam Active Member

Just don't seem to be a glass manufacturer that fits my budget, Reef Savvy is overpriced a lot and I haven't seen any others I like. I am open to suggestions for a good glass tank

MnFish1 likes this.
  6. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad 3RMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Acrylic actually has better optic clarity over standard glass. Acrylic is a better insulator over glass. The seams, when done correctly, are stronger than silicone with glass. It's actually much better all around other than the fact that gets scratched up so very easily.

7. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

do you need those dimensions?.....

8. italquam

italquam Active Member

Very true and some of the reasons I am leaning to acrylic. Also better warranty on acrylic. There is also a way with mighty magnets to remove scratches from a you tube video I saw

soffutt likes this.
  9. JaimeAdams

Custom Aquariums, Planet Aquariums, Miracles Aquariums, Exotic Aquariums just a couple off the top of my head that make nice tanks.

JoshH likes this.
  10. italquam

italquam Active Member

Not necessarily, but I like the 60 inch and I want at least 30 inch depth for better rock work space and for fish to swim around.

MnFish1 likes this.
  11. italquam

italquam Active Member

I will have to get some prices and see what they offer

12. JaimeAdams

I worked for a guy for almost 2 years that owns an Acrylic Tank manufacturing company, I can't suggest them so I won't say which, but I will say that I wouldn't believe everything you see in a video. I work full time in the industry and have been the president of 2 marine aquarium societies, still am the prez of one and I will tell you that I have never seen an acrylic tank that over a year old that is not scratched up beyond what could be repaired without distorting the view.

13. italquam

italquam Active Member

Wow , that is a killer.

What tank do you own personally, do you recommend one glass manufacturer over another

Hemmdog likes this.
  14. MnFish1

do you mean 'height' or depth from front to back. I have always owned glass. A friend bought. accustom acrylic. within 2 years it was so scratched he felt like replacing it - but - kept it. After that I ruled acrylic out. The optical clarity may be 'slightly better' - if you scratch it thats gone. Not trying to convince you one way or the other - but this friend of mine was so OCD about his tank - and it got totally scratched.

italquam likes this.
  15. italquam

italquam Active Member

Depth from front to back, I want a wide tank

MnFish1 likes this.
  16. MnFish1

PS - I like Redsea. - several options. good customer service

17. italquam

italquam Active Member

I saw Redsea but they are made in China , plumbing sizes are not standard, my sump has 1.5 inch drains

MnFish1 likes this.
  18. Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals Active Member

Envision acrylics makes awesome tanks

italquam likes this.
  19. italquam

italquam Active Member

Have you used them?

20. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I, on the other hand, have seen plenty - including my own at almost 18 months without a single observable scratch on the front. My first acrylic tank, after 3 decades of glass ones, but I find with some care and common sense that the hand wringing over scratches is highly overrated. Built well, an acrylic tanks is far more aesthetically appealing to me, particularly the corners.

Hemmdog, Lowell Lemon, clp and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted