Best Acrylic Tank Manufacturer???????

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get a new tank the coming year. I have been looking at Midwest Custom Aquarium and Acrylic Creations for a manufacturer for a 60x30x24 tank.

Does anyone have feedback on either and any recommendations for other acrylic manufacturers???

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't seem to be a glass manufacturer that fits my budget, Reef Savvy is overpriced a lot and I haven't seen any others I like. I am open to suggestions for a good glass tank

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic actually has better optic clarity over standard glass. Acrylic is a better insulator over glass. The seams, when done correctly, are stronger than silicone with glass. It's actually much better all around other than the fact that gets scratched up so very easily.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acrylic actually has better optic clarity over standard glass. Acrylic is a better insulator over glass. The seams, when done correctly, are stronger than silicone with glass. It's actually much better all around other than the fact that gets scratched up so very easily.

do you need those dimensions?.....

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true and some of the reasons I am leaning to acrylic. Also better warranty on acrylic. There is also a way with mighty magnets to remove scratches from a you tube video I saw

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Aquariums, Planet Aquariums, Miracles Aquariums, Exotic Aquariums just a couple off the top of my head that make nice tanks.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true and some of the reasons I am leaning to acrylic. Also better warranty on acrylic. There is also a way with mighty magnets to remove scratches from a you tube video I saw

I worked for a guy for almost 2 years that owns an Acrylic Tank manufacturing company, I can't suggest them so I won't say which, but I will say that I wouldn't believe everything you see in a video. I work full time in the industry and have been the president of 2 marine aquarium societies, still am the prez of one and I will tell you that I have never seen an acrylic tank that over a year old that is not scratched up beyond what could be repaired without distorting the view.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for a guy for almost 2 years that owns an Acrylic Tank manufacturing company, I can't suggest them so I won't say which, but I will say that I wouldn't believe everything you see in a video. I work full time in the industry and have been the president of 2 marine aquarium societies, still am the prez of one and I will tell you that I have never seen an acrylic tank that over a year old that is not scratched up beyond what could be repaired without distorting the view.
Wow , that is a killer.

What tank do you own personally, do you recommend one glass manufacturer over another

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not necessarily, but I like the 60 inch and I want at least 30 inch depth for better rock work space and for fish to swim around.
do you mean 'height' or depth from front to back. I have always owned glass. A friend bought. accustom acrylic. within 2 years it was so scratched he felt like replacing it - but - kept it. After that I ruled acrylic out. The optical clarity may be 'slightly better' - if you scratch it thats gone. Not trying to convince you one way or the other - but this friend of mine was so OCD about his tank - and it got totally scratched.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you mean 'height' or depth from front to back. I have always owned glass. A friend bought. accustom acrylic. within 2 years it was so scratched he felt like replacing it - but - kept it. After that I ruled acrylic out. The optical clarity may be 'slightly better' - if you scratch it thats gone. Not trying to convince you one way or the other - but this friend of mine was so OCD about his tank - and it got totally scratched.
Depth from front to back, I want a wide tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow , that is a killer.

What tank do you own personally, do you recommend one glass manufacturer over another
PS - I like Redsea. - several options. good customer service

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I, on the other hand, have seen plenty - including my own at almost 18 months without a single observable scratch on the front. My first acrylic tank, after 3 decades of glass ones, but I find with some care and common sense that the hand wringing over scratches is highly overrated. Built well, an acrylic tanks is far more aesthetically appealing to me, particularly the corners.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back